SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Don't beat me up for this but if Zane stayed, do we win the title? 

A year ago this would be ridiculous, but this is a fair question now. Zane let in some rough goals against BU in the Frozen Four. However, our Dmen with an extra year were at another level than 2015 so that helps too.

1 hour ago, yellowknife said:

Not speculation: Facts.  Lets just say i know a friend of a friend who's brother is the second cousin to the equipment manager's cousin twice removed... It is a very reliable source. Book it

Interesting as Bubba was in Fargo today and said Luke's MRI was this afternoon at which time they will determine if he needs surgery, rehab or both?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Any word on approximate dates these guys will let the UND coaching staff know if they will be back?  Does the staff give them a date they really need to know by?

Berry said he has already met with all the guys with options to leave. From what he said or didn't say I would guess LaDue and Stecher are gone, Schmaltz, Thompson, and Poolman are all 50/50 and Luke, Ausmus, and Poganski are all coming back along with Boeser of course.

1 hour ago, yellowknife said:

Hey I agree: tough for a thompson to think he is ready when he was probably #4 or 5 on depth chart on his own team this year. But $ talks and some kids just aren't into school that much.

I think Keaton is in a catch 22, he came in a year early but Anaheim really likes him and they run the risk of him becoming a free agent and losing his rights if he stays.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Berry said he has already met with all the guys with options to leave. From what he said or didn't say I would guess LaDue and Stecher are gone, Schmaltz, Thompson, and Poolman are all 50/50 and Luke, Ausmus, and Poganski are all coming back along with Boeser of course.

Sounds right minus the fact Luke is leaving.

29 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Not sure if there's a more appropriate thread but does anyone know who we have on our non-conference schedule next season and where (other than BC at MSG)?

Could I also say we may have some non-conference tournament games in Chicago next spring!! :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

...........again I ask can anyone name a former UND player in the last 10-15 years who left early that came out publicly stating that leaving was the right choice and he would make that same choice over again if given the opportunity?

Didn't Derek Forbort say something of the sort?

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah, IIRC he threw UND under the bus a bit a few months ago for his development.

I wouldn't call it throwing UND under the bus. He more or less stated the college game wasn't for him. At least that was the way I took it.

I also remember some statement implying his lack of development at UND, but he was quoted as saying the following:

"It's definitely been a lot of hard work to get to where I am and I owe a lot of that to the development staff here, [development coach] Mike O'Connell and guys at North Dakota for developing me into the player I am now."

in the L.A. Times the day of his NHL debut.  Also, if we give the coaches credit for developing players at UND, there should be some consideration if the coaches fail to develop a player and/or the player and the coaches' systems aren't the best match for one another.

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

I also remember some statement implying his lack of development at UND, but he was quoted as saying the following:

"It's definitely been a lot of hard work to get to where I am and I owe a lot of that to the development staff here, [development coach] Mike O'Connell and guys at North Dakota for developing me into the player I am now."

in the L.A. Times the day of his NHL debut.  Also, if we give the coaches credit for developing players at UND, there should be some consideration if the coaches fail to develop a player and/or the player and the coaches' systems aren't the best match for one another.

Sounds like we have conflicting accounts on this. I am deleting my original comment.

1 minute ago, yelo09 said:

It will be interesting to see if Berry’s hands on “love” the players approach keeps them around longer than Hak’s no nonsense business like approach…

Possibly. But I think the biggest factors will remain what kind of offers they get and if they think they are ready to make the jump.

24 minutes ago, yelo09 said:

It will be interesting to see if Berry’s hands on “love” the players approach keeps them around longer than Hak’s no nonsense business like approach…

The timing of this comment is utterly fascinating…UNDMHockey earlier tweeted a link to an article at CSNPhilly.com in which Ron Hextall trumpeted Hakstol's treatment of players as a primary reason for his hire.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ron-hextall-dave-hakstol-nhl-transition-quicker-expected-university-north-dakota-stanley-cup-playoffs

"Dave treated his players at North Dakota like men, like pros," Hextall said. "So his transition at this level was a lot quicker I think than a lot of guys who are coaching essentially young men or boys, whatever you want to call it. Junior hockey, quite frankly, it's more boys. I like the fact he treated the kids at North Dakota like pros."

7 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The timing of this comment is utterly fascinating…UNDMHockey earlier tweeted a link to an article at CSNPhilly.com in which Ron Hextall trumpeted Hakstol's treatment of players as a primary reason for his hire.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ron-hextall-dave-hakstol-nhl-transition-quicker-expected-university-north-dakota-stanley-cup-playoffs

It’s kind of my point, I am in no way dissing Hak…just that fact that many players might have left a little early because they felt they were ready when in fact only a handful made the successful jump to the NHL immediately…of course as a UND hockey fan I would love to see more 3 and 4 year players

1 hour ago, yelo09 said:

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Possibly. But I think the biggest factors will remain what kind of offers they get and if they think they are ready to make the jump.

I don't think we should discount the advice our coaches are giving these players. While these are college age amateurs, I'm sure the coaches take very seriously their job of properly advising players when they are ready. That trust in our coaches to further the players' careers in the game is part of the reason potential early departures come here in the first place.  Certainly the coaches value a college degree, and they will always want those players to stay, but they also know they are entrusted with the responsibility of being honest with their players about their readiness to move to the next level.  If the coaches lose that trust, players like Boeser and Parise will go elsewhere.  Workmanlike players are the heart and soul of our program, but I don't think you win banners without some elite level players whose ultimate goal (expectation) is to play professional hockey less than 4 years after they matriculate.  These guys have parents, friends, and former coaches who all have opinions about what they should do, but their college coaches are ones who are best situated to give them good advice, particularly when they have the NHL experience our coaches have. 

At least I think so.  Maybe not.   :)

• Upvote 3