SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

Stecher has given this program more in 3 years than most give in 4. Although I will miss watching him muscle out 2 or 3 guys in a scrum and start a rush up ice, he has deserved UND fans' admiration for years to come. I can't wait to see what he will do at the next level because I truly believe he will get his shot at the NHL.

• Upvote 3

When I described Stecher I always said, "That guy is always where he shoud be , doing what he should be doing it, when he should be doing it."  I will miss watching him like crazy, but he doesn't owe us anything. He left it all out on the ice.  

I am thrilled Boeser is coming back. 

Let's do this all again next year!

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hard to keep all of these guys straight, there is just so much talent. It would be nice if we could have a list on one of the blogs of committed recruits, and potential year of arrival (if there isn't already one), similar to what SFI does for football on the sidebar.

I think Schlossman has them listed on the side of his blog.

54 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hard to keep all of these guys straight, there is just so much talent. It would be nice if we could have a list on one of the blogs of committed recruits, and potential year of arrival (if there isn't already one), similar to what SFI does for football on the sidebar.

University of North Dakota 2018-19 TYCHONICK, Jonathan LD Calgary NWCAA Flames MAAA (AMHL) 04/01/16
University of North Dakota 2018-19 KARKI, Keegan G St. Cloud Cathedral HS Crusaders (MN-HS) 03/31/16
University of North Dakota 2020-21 MANCINELLI, Michael F Detroit Compuware 14U (HP14U) 03/17/16
University of North Dakota 2016-17 SMITH, Cole F Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) 03/07/16
University of North Dakota 2016-17 JONES, Nick F Penticton Vees (BCHL) 03/02/16
University of North Dakota 2018-19 HAIN, Gavin C Grand Rapids HS Thunderhawks (MN-HS) 01/25/16
University of North Dakota 2016-17 JOHNSON, Casey LD Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL) 01/04/16
University of North Dakota 2016-17 HOFF, Ludvig C Lincoln Stars (USHL) 11/02/15
University of North Dakota 2017-18 THOME, Peter G Aberdeen Wings (NAHL) 10/26/15
University of North Dakota 2016-17 JOST, Tyson C Penticton Vees (BCHL) 08/18/15
University of North Dakota 2016-17 POOLMAN, Colton LD Penticton Vees (BCHL) 05/13/15
University of North Dakota 2017-18 MISMASH, Grant C USA Under 17 Team (NTDP) 04/01/15
University of North Dakota 2017-18 ADAMS, Collin LW Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL) 01/29/15
University of North Dakota 2017-18 KEANE, Jackson C Sioux City Musketeers (USHL) 01/12/15
University of North Dakota 2016-17 BAST, Gabe RD Penticton Vees (BCHL) 01/05/15
University of North Dakota 2016-17 PESKI, Andrew RD Tri-City Storm (USHL) 11/07/14
University of North Dakota 2016-17 BOWEN, Dixon C/RW Penticton Vees (BCHL) 10/27/14
University of North Dakota 2017-18 SENDEN, Mark C Wayzata HS Trojans (MN-HS) 09/17/14
University of North Dakota 2016-17 KIERSTED, Matthew LD Chicago Steel (USHL) 04/23/14
University of North Dakota 2016-17 MATTSON, Mitchell C Grand Rapids HS Thunderhawks (MN-HS) 04/16/14
University of North Dakota 2016-17 YON, Zach LW Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) 02/05/14
University of North Dakota 2016-17 CAKEBREAD, Christian C Vernon Vipers (BCHL) 09/23/13
University of North Dakota 2016-17 EVERS, Christian LD Lincoln Stars (USHL)

College Hockey News.  Obviously not all of these are coming in this fall or we are having alot of players leave early.

• Upvote 1

Stecher is also in the best bargaining position of his life.  His play is at it's peak, and he can tell teams "thanks, maybe I'll just stay in college another year" until they offer his price.    Would sure love to see him back but I know that won't happen, and I can't begrudge the guy for it.  Good luck to him.   An example of another great UND hockey player/leader.  

We see these guys go and we think we'll never see anyone like them again, but then the coaches keep bringing in new guys who become just as revered by us fans because they are great players, great leaders, great people.   

• Upvote 3

Danton Heinen leaving DU has gotta hurt. Had he stayed all four years, he would've been on pace to score almost 190 points. That guy got bigger and stronger over his past two seasons and is ready for the next level. Best of luck to him with the Bruins organization and I say this with the utmost respect for him-as a CC and UND fan, I'm glad he's gone! What a great player.

...........again I ask can anyone name a former UND player in the last 10-15 years who left early that came out publicly stating that leaving was the right choice and he would make that same choice over again if given the opportunity?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

...........again I ask can anyone name a former UND player in the last 10-15 years who left early that came out publicly stating that leaving was the right choice and he would make that same choice over again if given the opportunity?

No, but hindsight is 20/20. Easy to say you wish you would have stayed after you made the big money. Not sure I've ever heard Toews say he wished he would have come back. Any I think some of these guys still appreciate the time they had here, even if they did leave at the right time.

28 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Danton Heinen leaving DU has gotta hurt. Had he stayed all four years, he would've been on pace to score almost 190 points. That guy got bigger and stronger over his past two seasons and is ready for the next level. Best of luck to him with the Bruins organization and I say this with the utmost respect for him-as a CC and UND fan, I'm glad he's gone! What a great player.

Heinen had no chance of staying 4 years but your point is still well-taken.  He was absolutely one of the best players I watched UND play against this year.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think Toews did OK.  In saying that however, he is one out of how many that the timing was right.  Zajac and Brock Nelson are two others.  Stecher and Ladue are ready to leave.  Nick is 50/50.  The rest have no business going anywhere.

Just now, Old Time Hockey said:

I think Toews did OK.  In saying that however, he is one out of how many that the timing was right.  Zajac and Brock Nelson are two others.  Stecher and Ladue are ready to leave.  Nick is 50/50.  The rest have no business going anywhere.

Things turned out OK for Brock but I heard first hand he wished he would have stayed another year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Things turned out OK for Brock but I heard first hand he wished he would have stayed another year. 

As far as staying in College, that may tend to be true for most people, yet alone hockey players.  I know I wish that I could have stayed in College and I didn't play hockey.  Caggiula says that he wishes he could stay.

20 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Even if it did end up being a good decision, I doubt a former player would promote it. Probably wouldnt go over great.

6 minutes ago, fsioux said:

As far as staying in College, that may tend to be true for most people, yet alone hockey players.  I know I wish that I could have stayed in College and I didn't play hockey.  Caggiula says that he wishes he could stay.

Ben Blood always said that too.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Derek Forbort is the only one I can think of.

32 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I thought about leaving early and taking a big fat NHL contract but decided to stay for 5 years, and what did it get me?

For the record, if IBM had offered me a 6 figure contract for 2 years to leave UND early to program computers I would have taken it. Pay off my student loans and live frugally for those 2 years. If they didn't want me after that I could always use the money I saved to go back for a few more years of education.

2 hours ago, siouxnami said:

Don't discount Mitchell Mattson potentially coming in and a potential high round NHL draft pick.

he'll go in the 3rd to 5th rd at best. He definitely needs to play a full ushl season. Hr has 2 pts in 20 ushl games. No assists.

10 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

regardless of how ready a guy is or not, i'm never going to get mad at a guy for deciding to play pro sports.

It is their lifelong dream.  Just hoping that they don't get premature with their decision and then get lost in the mix.  Different strokes for different players.