SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

28 minutes ago, yellowknife said:

Ladue gone... Luke Johnson gone surgery will be done by Blackhawks Doctors.. Schamalz, Poolman and Cam Johnson are all 50/50. Thompson is leaning towards leaving and my guess is he will go.  Poolman only thing that keeps him here is his brother. Schmaltz wants to stay but  is getting pressure from Hawks to sign.. Cam Johnson stock is very high right now so it wouldn't surprise me to see him leave. 

It will probably be good for Johnson to be gone. He was a good player but I think his development at UND has peaked and a change of scenery will be good for him.  

1 minute ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Any word on approximate dates these guys will let the UND coaching staff know if they will be back?  Does the staff give them a date they really need to know by?

Coaching staff knows who is going and who will stay. 

• Upvote 1

Luke is clutch in the playoffs but didn't have an outstanding year stats-wise.  He's a good college player, but not a great one (at this point).  Another year could be great for him to develop into more of a scoring leader...but sometimes you get those surprising departures that don't make a lot of sense from a "fan" perspective.

Cam leaving would surprise me too.  A sophomore undrafted goalie that has played one (excellent) year of college puck.  Some may wonder if his stats had more to do with the amazing d-corps in front of him.  With a few of that d-corps departing, next season would be a great chance to prove those doubters wrong.  We'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed yesterday when Berry was talking he had said something to the extent of Luke having a great college career only missing one game in his career being his last. That threw up a red flag for me yesterday. 

I heard that as well and just wondered if he meant until that point, or if it was a slip on his part because he knows LJ is leaving.

At the end of all of this I think Pooly stays to play one year with his brother. Schmaltz stays per the advice of his brother and to light it up with Boeser. Keaton has zero business going anywhere.

Really hope Cam ends up sticking around too. For not really knowing much about the kid when he was stuck behind Zano, I've really enjoyed watching him this year. Kids always looks calm, cool and like he is just out there having fun. Of course, it is easy to looking like you are having fun when all you do is win :)

22 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed yesterday when Berry was talking he had said something to the extent of Luke having a great college career only missing one game in his career being his last. That threw up a red flag for me yesterday. 

I was at The Ralph yesterday and turned to my friend and mentioned this exact same thing after Berry said that.

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I heard that as well and just wondered if he meant until that point, or if it was a slip on his part because he knows LJ is leaving.

For what it's worth, I've heard a lot of chatter from pretty connected people, at least to LJ, that he would be gone after this season.

As far as Cam, he would be smart to strike while the iron is hot if he's getting real offers. Let's not pretend than playing in front of an NHL quality defense didn't probably inflate his stats this season. Next year's defense could be a question mark if we lose what is looking to be a real possibility this off season.

My personal opinion is that with Boeser staying, that would incline Schmaltz to stay also. His brother playing all year in the A probably isn't reassuring to him either. I'd bet money he's back.

Thompson almost left last year, I think he probably thinks he's ready, although watching this season, he's probably the least trustworthy defenseman outside freshman.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, yellowknife said:

been known for many months that LJ was planning to leave.. Not a slip of the tongue

I heard he was pretty close last year. I just assumed with the poor statistical year this year he would rethink things and come back to improve his stock.

When you have an $800k signing bonus in front of you and an $80k AHL salary in front of you I get it. However Thompson is years away from cracking an NHL lineup, the Ducks are loaded at D and they have at least 4 D men in the AHL that are all rated higher than him. 

I do understand why he would go, but i have to believe another year of increased playing time will greatly benefit him.

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I heard he was pretty close last year. I just assumed with the poor statistical year this year he would rethink things and come back to improve his stock.

No doubt it was smart for LJ to comeback this year. Definitely rounded out his game nicely. Couldn't even count how many shots he whiffed on last year. Much better play this year. also a kid who's play doesn't always translate to the stat sheet. I definitely liked having LJ on the ice much more this year.