SiouxSports.com Forum

Dan Hammer leaving Midco

best0186

I don't know what to think 

Will we get more away games ?

I could live with almost any announcer as long as on tv

Can't say anything bad about midco have been a customer for ever

Edited by Fetch

I know simulcast (same audio on radio and TV) is terrible, and I like Hennessy on the radio (especially when there is no road TV), but I also notice that Tim has some weekly TV responsibilities. 

How to get the best of both, namely, Hennessy on both radio and TV. I guess that is simulcast. 

We are never going to have what umn have

they had corporate sponsorships. We have American tire big Jims tire and Und school 

Thats largely because Mido doesn't reach the Cities.  With FSN, the potential advertisers are much broader:  like Excel Energy. the North Dakota Oil Can, medical insurers, restaurant and store chains, etc.

Getting off on a tangent, but one thing I appreciate about Midcontinent is that when they tell me a certain combination of broadband and cable tv packages is going to cost x amount of dollars and cents, my bill is x dollars and cents. That is the way everyone should do business but sadly, it is not.

Midco is the best. They are old school in their service and scruples. They also offer far and away the best packages. Companies like cableone don't stand a chance against Midco.

• Upvote 1

I see Hammer will be on KFGO.  I guess they needed another voice for the ac?

That's what Jack Michaels did. He left his job as UND FB play-by-play voice saying "he didn't have time to do it anymore". The next thing you know, he has joined NDSU's radio broadcast team. I think that was the real reason he did what he did. Now they are all one big happy family. Isn't that sweet? (sarcasm) :silly::whistling:

That's what Jack Michaels did. He left his job as UND FB play-by-play voice saying "he didn't have time to do it anymore". The next thing you know, he has joined NDSU's radio broadcast team. I think that was the real reason he did what he did. Now they are all one big happy family. Isn't that sweet? (sarcasm) :silly::whistling:

Jack moonlighted for UND. He was employed by KFGO and with the uncertainty with Scott Miller's illness he couldn't commit to UND. I thought Jack did the best he could in a tough situation for all.

• Upvote 1

Jack moonlighted for UND. He was employed by KFGO and with the uncertainty with Scott Miller's illness he couldn't commit to UND. I thought Jack did the best he could in a tough situation for all.

Whatever the situation is/was, we need to establish a better media presence across the state and region. I can live with playing second fiddle to NDSU in Imperial Cass County, but not in the entire state and region. And that is what is happening right now. By watching television and listening to radio, you wouldn't even know there was a four-year research university in Grand Forks. If all we are going to do is bow down to the mighty Bison in everything, we will lose out on more than athlete recruits.

Midco is the best. They are old school in their service and scruples. They also offer far and away the best packages. Companies like cableone don't stand a chance against Midco.

Funny how these "accidental" misquotes from various vendors over the years always are lower than what I end up paying. A misquote actually only has a 50% chance of being low.

• Upvote 1

As a ply by play guy, Michaels is head and shoulders better than Sweeney. And listening to him do a few Sioux FB games last year, you couldn't tell he was an NDSU guy.

I'd have to agree with this.  Michaels really was a great play by play guy... Sweeney not so much.  Would really like to see Hennesy get on board for football.

Very happy for Dan Hammer.  He seems like a great guy, and It's nice to see a guy like him land a great gig.  On the bright side, we should be able to land someone better than him, unless it is Sweeney, who is way over rated and very boring.

Michaels was excellent. He could paint the picture and capture the excitement of a play. Couldn't pick up on any NDSU loyalty with him. He was a true pro.

Jack is a great play by play guy and was great on UND broadcasts......the problem came with Jack's radio show talking Bison this and Bison that for 4 out of 5 hours a week. Certainly not his fault as the show is on in Fargo and he is employed by the Bison broadcast partner......Jack is a pro at his job and was exceptional as our play by play guy but at the end of the day his heart is with NDSU.

If we went FSN, I would have to think we get a Fox Sports North Dakota (Similar to FSN-Wisconsin) that is just FSN content until the time that UND/other ND content is on. That way they are able to do FSN, FSN+, FSN-D and I'm not completely sure if the 4th channel is considered to be FSN-W.   While I was typing that I looked it up, it appears Wisconsin doesn't subfeed from North anymore, but do still have offices in the Twin Cities. 

FSN would want to maximize viewership and they would need a third channel to do that with UND games they can't just show it in ND Markets as there are plenty of UND ALumni/fans in the cities. So they would need to be capable of broadcasting  UND/UMN/Wild games at same time, just like they do with UM/Wild currently. Timberwolves would still lose out, but it would give them a third channel to use if there is any conflicts with the odd sunday Big Ten games with Wild on also. 

I have read that Tim H applied in past for PxP position. And I know the hockey PA guy has said that he wants to become radio guy for UND sports.

Problem solved.

it would be so weird for awhile to me to not hear Looker doing PA. That's the voice of UND hockey I know(yes I'm haven't been around a long time).  The women's PA announcer tries to copy some of the sayings and just doesn't sound right doing it. 

If he becomes radio, I sure hope they get a PA guy with emotion. You hear some of the NHL guys that have a PA voice but are just so bland as it's pretty much monotone. Guys like Looker and Adam Abrams (Wild) do great with emotions and getting fans into it.

"Herrrreeeessssss your University of North Dakota SCORING!"

"Okay Minnesota, on your feet, here there come your MINNESSSSOTA WILD!"

Now I am biased but I enjoy these.

His silly/weird statements aside, there is something real about Hammer's enthusiasm and apparent lack of arrogance that I find very refreshing.  He gave us TCoS and "one-timer" for every shot taken.   There are a lot of PXP guys who will be better at hockey, but I will miss the guy.   

TH would be fantastic, but who would do radio like he does?

• Upvote 3

I also like MIDCO's willingness to pick up broadcasts that weren't originally on their schedule, like these past weekend's Duluth games.

I like how they pick up the games with a satellite up/down link. The same equipment they claimed they wouldn't be using when they eliminated fta broadcasts. Business decisions I get it but I don't agree with it and I'll be glad to see any change made. Right now for nationwide viewership most watch with a webcast and what do you think this midco deal has done for the number of people nationwide watching und games? Peace out hammer and midco. It's a good thing KFGO won't require you to sell because you can't sell! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. And I'm glad that und sees they made a mistake by selling out for this midco deal. Learn from your mistakes and move on!

Edited by Redneksioux
  • Downvote 2

Whether UND stays with Midco in the future or jumps to FSN, I would love to see them get Clay Matvick to be the play by play guy.  The guy is a hockey announcing stud and has done very well foe a long time.  I realize that he does work for the grand daddy of them all network (ESPN) but would be great to see a guy like him come in and be the voice of UND hockey on TV.  A pipe dream I know, but hey, why not!!

• Downvote 1