SiouxSports.com Forum

Dan Hammer leaving Midco

best0186

Big fan of Hammer as the TV play by play guy.  Sweeney is better at football than hockey.  Hope Dan will be replaced by someone with a little more excitement than Pat.  Wonder why Hammer couldn't do both his KFGO gig and hockey?

Because he knows MIDCO wont get the contract with UND when its up. UND signed its deal with the devil (midco) back in 2012 and its nationwide coverage went away just like WDAZ....

• Upvote 2

Whether UND stays with Midco in the future or jumps to FSN, I would love to see them get Clay Matvick to be the play by play guy.  The guy is a hockey announcing stud and has done very well foe a long time.  I realize that he does work for the grand daddy of them all network (ESPN) but would be great to see a guy like him come in and be the voice of UND hockey on TV.  A pipe dream I know, but hey, why not!!

He is fantastic. SCSU alum but I don't hold that against him and he has always seemed very neutral. I'm not sure if he is finally an employee of ESPN or still contracts.  Does some basketball and football.  A couple years ago I even heard him calling an air race. 

• Downvote 1

I'll submit my  deciphering of play by play during blacked out football game on siouxsports.com as my resume for the new pxp guy. I'd even grow a mustache if that's what they'd require. What's impressive about that promise, is it that I can only kinda grow a mustache. You can't teach heart.

You are hired

• Upvote 1

Whether UND stays with Midco in the future or jumps to FSN, I would love to see them get Clay Matvick to be the play by play guy.  The guy is a hockey announcing stud and has done very well foe a long time.  I realize that he does work for the grand daddy of them all network (ESPN) but would be great to see a guy like him come in and be the voice of UND hockey on TV.  A pipe dream I know, but hey, why not!!

Agree that I can't see it happening, but love the idea

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Has this endeavor been worth it to Midco?  I am guessing they got what they wanted and that was access to Fargo.  But would another contract at 200k per year be worth it to them?  

No, its not been worth it. Why do you think WDAZ didn't sign that deal? Midco had to give up roughly 40% of its advertising slots to UND and the remaining slots that Midco could sell were only to lower level advertisers. I believe the top level package they were pushing was around $30k and as you can see during the games, they are not selling many spots. Not only that but the REA was charging Midco $500 a day to keep their HD truck outside the Ralph. UND really positioned themselves to make a lot of money without doing much of the work.

No, its not been worth it. Why do you think WDAZ didn't sign that deal? Midco had to give up roughly 40% of its advertising slots to UND and the remaining slots that Midco could sell were only to lower level advertisers. I believe the top level package they were pushing was around $30k and as you can see during the games, they are not selling many spots. Not only that but the REA was charging Midco $500 a day to keep their HD truck outside the Ralph. UND really positioned themselves to make a lot of money without doing much of the work.

Wrong on many points.  Midco did not give away any spots to UND.  UND is a premier sponsor and has been since day 1.  They along with the other three premier sponsors pay well in excess of 30k to have a presence in all broadcasts. The Ralph charges a one time fee for the production truck to be parked out back.  

• 2 weeks later...

So ding dong the witch (for some of you) is dead.  His first week on radio was marked with an "exclusive" interview" with Dave Hakstol (on Tuesday, not MONDAY as KFGO promoted for their new "star") that turned into more of a "I've had a lot of life changes too" and "Here's the new challenges I'm facing out of the box, a lot like you Dave?" questions that made him seem like the male radio equivalent of a certain KVYY anchor gal (Okay Stephanie G!) that's all about LOOK AT ME!!!  I'm a STAR!!!! 

The segment I caught on his "new" show was very sad with some old people from an old folks home in Fertile.  Dan was asking them about their favorite Christmas songs from years past and this old lady blurted out...."That LOLLIPOP song"  Dan played along and asked about it as a non-traditional christmas song and the lady burst into.."On The GOOD SHIP - LOLLIPOP!"  Turns out she totally had dementia - very cringeble!!    Good luck on radio Dan but remember you have to fill 3 hours every day with interesting content that makes people want to pick up the phone and call....good luck!

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

So ding dong the witch (for some of you) is dead.  His first week on radio was marked with an "exclusive" interview" with Dave Hakstol (on Tuesday, not MONDAY as KFGO promoted for their new "star") that turned into more of a "I've had a lot of life changes too" and "Here's the new challenges I'm facing out of the box, a lot like you Dave?" questions that made him seem like the male radio equivalent of a certain KVYY anchor gal (Okay Stephanie G!) that's all about LOOK AT ME!!!  I'm a STAR!!!! 

The segment I caught on his "new" show was very sad with some old people from an old folks home in Fertile.  Dan was asking them about their favorite Christmas songs from years past and this old lady blurted out...."That LOLLIPOP song"  Dan played along and asked about it as a non-traditional christmas song and the lady burst into.."On The GOOD SHIP - LOLLIPOP!"  Turns out she totally had dementia - very cringeble!!    Good luck on radio Dan but remember you have to fill 3 hours every day with interesting content that makes people want to pick up the phone and call....good luck!

There's a reason he's failed at radio every time he's tried. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't Hammer say he was going to do the TV broadcasts for UND hockey the rest of the year?  Apparently he won't be doing the January 9th home game cause he says he will be in Frisco following the Bison that week.   Either you are doing the UND games or you  are not.    His commitment seems a little insincere.  In fairness maybe he is going to be there that week and come back on Saturday for the hockey game.  I guess that is possible.

35 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Didn't Hammer say he was going to do the TV broadcasts for UND hockey the rest of the year?  Apparently he won't be doing the January 9th home game cause he says he will be in Frisco following the Bison that week.   Either you are doing the UND games or you  are not.    His commitment seems a little insincere.  In fairness maybe he is going to be there that week and come back on Saturday for the hockey game.  I guess that is possible.

Do you mean the EXHIBITION game against the Under 18 team? A glorified practice that doesn't count in any standings? You're right, that should be the most important game of the season for everyone.

• Upvote 1