SiouxSports.com Forum

Dan Hammer leaving Midco

best0186

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't get all the angst thats pointed at Hammer. It's not like the guy is a huge homer that knows little about the game of hockey. He's well prepared when he shows up for the game. 

Personally, I think he does a very good job calling football and hockey games. Actually, he's one of the better football announcers I have heard on TV for small time college sports. I also watched last night's game on my iPad. He did fine. I enjoyed the broadcast. Both hosts and Kaite were well prepared.  

I can imagine it takes a lot of work in your off time being able to be proficient at play-by-play for both sports.  Hammer knows his hockey inside and out. It's fun listening to some of the things he has to say. Hammer is a nice person. He doesn't deserve some of the guff he takes from the fans. 

I have nothing against Hammer. He just wanted a job with more predictable hours; I cannot blame him for that. But it does raise the question of who will take over? Maybe do a simulcast with the radio network? The Vikings do that for their preseason games and it works out pretty good. Then you wouldn't have to hire someone to replace Hammer.

13 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't get all the angst thats pointed at Hammer. It's not like the guy is a huge homer that knows little about the game of hockey. He's well prepared when he shows up for the game. 

Personally, I think he does a very good job calling football and hockey games. Actually, he's one of the better football announcers I have heard on TV for small time college sports. I also watched last night's game on my iPad. He did fine. I enjoyed the broadcast. Both hosts and Kaite were well prepared.  

I can imagine it takes a lot of work in your off time being able to be proficient at play-by-play for both sports.  Hammer knows his hockey inside and out. It's fun listening to some of the things he has to say. Hammer is a nice person. He doesn't deserve some of the guff he takes from the fans. 

A lot of what you say here might be true....but don't kid yourself, Hammer does not know the game of hockey inside and out.

Goon, With all due respect you lose credibility by talking of Hammers hockey knowledge.

I'm not being snarky, it's just the facts.

We've all heard the guy flub the calls time and time again, the mangling of names, the misunderstanding of the plays, the slow plodding narration as if he's reading a kindergarten book to slow cats, that's not imagination, that's not being mean, that's just the truth of what we all have seen. 

I'm very glad to see him move along.

#goodridence

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have nothing against Hammer. He just wanted a job with more predictable hours; I cannot blame him for that. But it does raise the question of who will take over? Maybe do a simulcast with the radio network? The Vikings do that for their preseason games and it works out pretty good. Then you wouldn't have to hire someone to replace Hammer.

They'll need to hire someone to replace Hammer's reporting and shooting ability.  The 3 guys currently working full time at Midco in GF can't do everything, especially since Hammer worked so hard.

No offense to the schools that do sync radio with their video feed, but that would be a step backward. UND's (Midco's) production quality is really high, and if they're serious about re-upping when the contract is up, then hiring the right pbp person is a necessary first step.

• Upvote 1

On January 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Goon, With all due respect you lose credibility by talking of Hammers hockey knowledge.

I'm not being snarky, it's just the facts.

We've all heard the guy flub the calls time and time again, the mangling of names, the misunderstanding of the plays, the slow plodding narration as if he's reading a kindergarten book to slow cats, that's not imagination, that's not being mean, that's just the truth of what we all have seen. 

I'm very glad to see him move along.

#goodridence

*#goodriddance #flubbed #mangled

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Check out McFeely's areavoices blog where he states NDSU has requested separate bid's for fb TV, BB tv, and radio.

Can't imagine the basketball rights are going to be worth much in their own . Strange there is nothing about volleyball or wrestling you think if they were going to separate football they'd just package the rest of their sports together. 

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

McFooley of the Forum says NDSU requested RFP for all broadcasting media outlets.  Apparently, FSN was not one of those getting an RFP.

The MVFC media contract does not allow for NDSU to broadcast games on FSN, so it would be pointless to send them an RFP. 

Just now, nodak651 said:

Basketball is in the summit, no?

I am not sure on the Summit contract but it is with ESPN, so it might have the same issues. I expect NDSU will move to deal with ESPN like IUPUI and ORU have for hoops, they pick up the broadcast from a local media outlet and put it on ESPN3 and/or ESPN College Extra. 

24 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I am not sure on the Summit contract but it is with ESPN, so it might have the same issues. I expect NDSU will move to deal with ESPN like IUPUI and ORU have for hoops, they pick up the broadcast from a local media outlet and put it on ESPN3 and/or ESPN College Extra. 

Gotcha.  Not a bad setup.

Here is my take on what is happening with Hammer.  I would hope that a real ND not UND sports fan knows about the health issues that Scott Miller has.  I think Hammer was given an opportunity to be the voice of NDSU and he will take over for Miller.  If you listened to the end of the NDSU FB radio broadcast, Miller said something to the point of thanks for the great year and we will see what next year brings.  I hope I am wrong in this, but I think Miller may NEED to step down because of health reasons.  Hietkamp just got Hammer for that reason.  This may be off in left field, but this is my opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Here is my take on what is happening with Hammer.  I would hope that a real ND not UND sports fan knows about the health issues that Scott Miller has.  I thinkt Hammer was given an opportunity to be the voice of NDSU and he will take over for Miller.  If you listened to the end of the NDSU FB radio broadcast, Miller said something to the point of thanks for the great year and we will see what next year brings.  I hope I am wrong in this, but I think Miller may NEED to step down because of health reasons.  Hietkamp just got Hammer for that reason.  This may be off in left field, but this is my opinion.

*ahem* "Jack Michaels"

You may be right, but Jack will have the opportunity as well.

1 hour ago, choyt3 said:

*ahem* "Jack Michaels"

You may be right, but Jack will have the opportunity as well.

With Jack being an alum and and NDSU athlete. I'd think he'd have the inside track but who knows he might not want it. I think he enjoys calling the Red Hawks games and being local in the winter calling high school sports. Ringneck might be on to something. 

• Upvote 1