SiouxSports.com Forum

Dan Hammer leaving Midco

best0186

Word is we are looking at fox sports north. Probably more games produced in house like we do now with basketball

only problem is they better hire a sales person to sell some ads to make up the $200k a year we got. Right now it's all Und ads and big sky ads

Edited by gfhockey
  • Upvote 2

Word is we are looking at fox sports north. Probably more games produced in house like we do now with basketball

only problem is they better hire a sales person to sell some ads to make up the $200k a year we got. Right now it's all Und ads and big sky ads

The volleyball telecasts on FSN were very professional.  

Would NDSU sign up with Midcontinent then?  The Midcontinent build out is almost complete in Fargo.

Getting on cable throughout Minnesota would be enormously beneficial for enrollment and alumni.

Edited by SiouxVolley

UND hockey used to have all home games televised nationwide. We also had several men's and women's basketball games and volleyball games as well as football that were on the Fox channels. If Midco could get a deal with Directv and Dish that would be a gamechanger but I don't see that happening.

For NDSU it would be a tricky question. They have statewide coverage for football now and I believe they sell their own advertising and pay KVLY for the signal. Does Midco bring them more eyes?

Edited by petey23

The volleyball telecasts on FSN were very professional.  

Would NDSU sign up with Midcontinent then?  The Midcontinent build out is almost complete in Fargo.

Getting on cable throughout Minnesota would be enormously beneficial for enrollment and alumni.

This would be yet another win for NDSU over UND. They keep getting more and more exposure and coverage and we keep getting less and less. If we don't sign with Midcontinent again, we better have a suitable replacement that either matches or improves on the coverage we have right now. The very thought of NDSU having wall to wall coverage of everything, while we are stuck with little or nothing makes me sick. :angry:

Lots of hypotheticals going on here. 

Could it be as simple as Hammer wanted a more "standard hours" job? And one without sales responsibilities (which I believe he had with Midco). 

And say UND cuts a deal with Fox Sports North. Midco carries that already. No sweat there. And Fox Sports North is both 623 and 639 on my Midco, so they have two HD channel options. And then there are the national pipes (FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, and FCS Pacific, 315-317 on my Midco). 

I've been pro Midco over the years; however, if you told me UND could fill the role that UMn used to fill on Fox Sports North (all home games live, many road games, only pre-empted from the main channell by professional teams, and never pre-empted by another college hockey program) I'd jump in a split second. Why? It would be many, many more eyeballs. 

And, forgive me, but that was the hockey portion of my brain dominating. I'd toss in some coverage expectations (minimums) for FB, MBB, WBB, VB, and WIH on the array of Fox channels. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 4

Getting off on a tangent, but one thing I appreciate about Midcontinent is that when they tell me a certain combination of broadband and cable tv packages is going to cost x amount of dollars and cents, my bill is x dollars and cents. That is the way everyone should do business but sadly, it is not.

• Upvote 1