SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

12 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Absolutely right. UND fans have been forecasting NDSU's fall (and UND's rise) for years now. They're no more likely to be right now than they were in January 2012 when NDSU's current run started.

Things have changed since 2003. The question is: has UND changed enough to keep up? The answer is unclear.

Very true. College teams can rise and fall so quickly. Makes NDSU's run all the more impressive. All we can go off of is what we have seen, and with the Muss years behind us, I really like what Bubba is doing. Definitely, think we are going in the right directions, but we'll have to wait to see if what he is doing translates on the field.

2019 should be a better game; hope it actually works out that way.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Absolutely right. UND fans have been forecasting NDSU's fall (and UND's rise) for years now. They're no more likely to be right now than they were in January 2012 when NDSU's current run started.

Things have changed since 2003. The question is: has UND changed enough to keep up? The answer is unclear.

Your point has been made.  As well as the other Bison fans who post on this site...over and over and over and over and over and over again.  NDSU football is good.  UND football is bad.  How many different ways can you make that point?  

I have an idea!  Lets talk about South Dakota st or portland st, maybe Alabama or even mankato instead.  Please 

South Dakota st looks to return some nice talent.  I can see them being 7-4ish with a first round out in playoffs.

I'm not sure Portland st will be in contention for the big sky title next year.  No more sneaking up on anyone and they lose some important pieces.  

Alabama will be Alabama.

mankato??? No clue 

anyone else want join in on sioux sports to talk about these teams.....All. The.  Time!!!??

11 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I have an idea!  Lets talk about South Dakota st or portland st, maybe Alabama or even mankato instead.  Please 

South Dakota st looks to return some nice talent.  I can see them being 7-4ish with a first round out in playoffs.

I'm not sure Portland st will be in contention for the big sky title next year.  No more sneaking up on anyone and they lose some important pieces.  

Alabama will be Alabama.

mankato??? No clue 

anyone else want join in on sioux sports to talk about these teams.....All. The.  Time!!!??

Interesting call with USD...If you see USD as a playoff team, does that mean you see the MVFC with 4 teams?  If not, who are they passing up for that spot?

I see them improving but not enough for 3rd in that conference.

17 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Your point has been made.  As well as the other Bison fans who post on this site...over and over and over and over and over and over again.  NDSU football is good.  UND football is bad.  How many different ways can you make that point?  

OK, but that wasn't the point. The post was in response to a UND fan calling NDSU fans "delusional" because they think that NDSU can stay on top.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Interesting call with USD...If you see USD as a playoff team, does that mean you see the MVFC with 4 teams?  If not, who are they passing up for that spot?

It's South Dakota st.   SDSU 

That message was peppered with sarcasm and dismay.  It's beginning to be that Siouxsports should be renamed to FU 2.0.  I could give a rats ass what, where, why, when, how or whatever else goes on for them.   They have their own website I would assume....go there!!  Bubba is building a hell of a team that everyone HERE should be proud of, and unless were playing,  WHO THE HELL CARES!!!   

Does anyone have any insight on Taj??

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

That message was peppered with sarcasm and dismay.  It's beginning to be that Siouxsports should be renamed to FU 2.0.  I could give a rats ass what, where, why, when, how or whatever else goes on for them.   They have their own website I would assume....go there!!  Bubba is building a hell of a team that everyone HERE should be proud of, and unless were playing,  WHO THE HELL CARES!!!   

Pretty positive on both Taj and Arnell right now -

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I believe he only mentioned South Dakota STATE University...

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Pretty sure its very relevant to discuss playoff implications from teams in other conferences in a 2016 Season thread...particularly after how the playoff field went down in the 2015 season.

9 hours ago, UND Fan said:

That will be fine - hopefully, they will be fully recovered by the end of summer.

With Harris,Carter, JIS, Reyes, arnell, carter #2, tucker, and maybe a couple of red shirts pulled next year, we will have a lot of quality guys competing for playing time.  how far away are we from having the secondary being on par with the rest of the defense?

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

With Harris,Carter, JIS, Reyes, arnell, carter #2, tucker, and maybe a couple of red shirts pulled next year, we will have a lot of quality guys competing for playing time.  how far away are we from having the secondary being on par with the rest of the defense?

There is some talent in the secondary, they just neede to be coached, as the fundamementals have been lacking. When you sprinkle in the youth factor it was a terrible blend.  I witnessed many times last year that the cbs were glued to their player but the lacked the basic fundamental of watching the opposing players eyes, as there were no hands up or not turning around to make a play on the ball.  Quite a few footballs hit our boys jerseys.  

Reyes is absolute stud!  He will be on some all American lists next year.  I really like Harris, great length and determination, he just needs to learn the fundamentals.  Jahmere must have talent as he played a bit while at Mississippi St.  Having a healthy arnell back is a huge lift.  He has the nasty and quickness to compliment Reyes.  I think holm will have his shirt pulled as he is much to talented.  

To put in perspective, Unds secondary was incredibly young and inexperienced.  We had a true fresh, true soph, soph and a first year juco transfer.  Backups were first year soph transfer, true soph, sen walk on and another first yr juco transfer.  After an injury we had another true fresh come in.   Only Reyes and James (walk on) had more then 2 years in this program.  Five of the top nine players first year guys.  With the aggressive blitzing style of defense that und plays, it puts a huge burden on the secondary.  Very isolated!  With a little more experience this year, I see a big improvement. Adding the quality depth as the coaching staff has done, is going to help tremendously!   Bowling green will show us what kind of strides they have made as they will tested.    

Wish it was football season!!!! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

There is some talent in the secondary, they just neede to be coached, as the fundamementals have been lacking. When you sprinkle in the youth factor it was a terrible blend.  I witnessed many times last year that the cbs were glued to their player but the lacked the basic fundamental of watching the opposing players eyes, as there were no hands up or not turning around to make a play on the ball.  Quite a few footballs hit our boys jerseys.  

Reyes is absolute stud!  He will be on some all American lists next year.  I really like Harris, great length and determination, he just needs to learn the fundamentals.  Jahmere must have talent as he played a bit while at Mississippi St.  Having a healthy arnell back is a huge lift.  He has the nasty and quickness to compliment Reyes.  I think holm will have his shirt pulled as he is much to talented.  

To put in perspective, Unds secondary was incredibly young and inexperienced.  We had a true fresh, true soph, soph and a first year juco transfer.  Backups were first year soph transfer, true soph, sen walk on and another first yr juco transfer.  After an injury we had another true fresh come in.   Only Reyes and James (walk on) had more then 2 years in this program.  Five of the top nine players first year guys.  With the aggressive blitzing style of defense that und plays, it puts a huge burden on the secondary.  Very isolated!  With a little more experience this year, I see a big improvement. Adding the quality depth as the coaching staff has done, is going to help tremendously!   Bowling green will show us what kind of strides they have made as they will tested.    

Last season's Freshman walk-on Palmborg will be factored in too next season. 

23 hours ago, Gothmog said:

OK, but that wasn't the point. The post was in response to a UND fan calling NDSU fans "delusional" because they think that NDSU can stay on top.

That isn't the point either. When some of your Bison rubes come on here and make fun of Bubba's name (Bubba Gump) and what he wears at practice (the big floppy hat) and tell us you are happy with Bubba in charge of UND football because he did nothing at SIU, then you shouldn't expect us to kiss your a$$ and bow down to you. This is siouxsports.com, not bisonville.com. If you want positive affirmation, you better go to the latter and stop reading the former.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

All of the key defensive secondary players from last season will return in 2016 with valuable experience. As a result, the secondary will be much better.

Cole Reyes is the best player of the bunch and is yet only to be a junior.  *Possibly* (if not already) could be the best player on UND's roster next season. 

Both Arnell and Palmborg got experience last season; I see either one of them filling the other safety spot quite admirably. Also, one of the incoming freshmen will get their shirt pulled and add to the safety depth (and/or special teams); possibilities include Jordan Canady, Jake Geier, or Tim Ryan (all three are very talented football players).

At corner, experience is very key, and all returners have it. Deion Harris will again be the lockdown guy, and he will be good. Tyus Carter did some very good things as a true freshman last season; after his year of freshmen weights, watch out. Also, the returning experience of Jahmere Irvin-Sills and Chris Carter is important. Vashon Tucker is a wildcard type player at the spot. Although both incoming CB freshmen Holm and Randolph are talented, they may not see the field due to the four or five ahead of them - will be something interesting to watch in fall camp. 

Looking at the secondary as a whole, hard to imagine they won't be better in 2016. Losing Will Ratelle is a tough one, but with the returning secondary experience and the tremendous front-line depth developing, UND's defense may very well be better in 2016 than 2015. Good things ahead!

Go UND Fighting Hawks!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

All of the key defensive secondary players from last season will return in 2016 with valuable experience. As a result, the secondary will be much better.

Cole Reyes is the best player of the bunch and is yet only to be a junior.  *Possibly* (if not already) could be the best player on UND's roster next season. 

Both Arnell and Palmborg got experience last season; I see either one of them filling the other safety spot quite admirably. Also, one of the incoming freshmen will get their shirt pulled and add to the safety depth (and/or special teams); possibilities include Jordan Canady, Jake Geier, or Tim Ryan (all three are very talented football players).

At corner, experience is very key, and all returners have it. Deion Harris will again be the lockdown guy, and he will be good. Tyus Carter did some very good things as a true freshman last season; after his year of freshmen weights, watch out. Also, the returning experience of Jahmere Irvin-Sills and Chris Carter is important. Vashon Tucker is a wildcard type player at the spot. Although both incoming CB freshmen Holm and Randolph are talented, they may not see the field due to the four or five ahead of them - will be something interesting to watch in fall camp. 

Looking at the secondary as a whole, hard to imagine they won't be better in 2016. Losing Will Ratelle is a tough one, but with the returning secondary experience and the tremendous front-line depth developing, UND's defense may very well be better in 2016 than 2015. Good things ahead!

Go UND Fighting Hawks!

Yeah you might be right about Holm and Randolph or any other true freshman for that matter.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that!  That means the staff has trust in the returners and to be honest, my feeling has been true freshman should always redshirt.  Theres certain cases to where the talent is to invaluable, but more often then not these young men need a good year or two to muscle up an mature.  It's also an indicator as to where your program is.  If you bring in great talent and they're not playing right away, the odds are you have great talent already playing.   Quality depth!!!!  

Can it be august yet!? 

• Upvote 4