SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

exactly.  it's funny that all these guys online making fun of the Hawks come from schools with nicknames like bulldogs, mavericks x2, huskies x2, etc...

It's actually very sad. A totally lame ass nickname. I won't spend a penny on any Hawk merchandise. Ever.

• Upvote 2

Reading some of the reactions on Twitter leads me to the following realization:

Anti-FH people with identifiable Twitter accounts are either (1) independently wealthy, (2) very, very secure in their employment and/or future employability, or (3) completely insane.

Having an opinion on a matter of public concern is one thing…expressing it with zero regard for how it will be perceived by those with less (i.e., no) zeal for the subject is another.

• Upvote 3

I'm moving on.

My prediction: most will move on too, when they get sick of complaining. 

Now, the next step is the formation of an identifiable logo that everyone most will be proud of!

Let's Go Hawks!

Given the process to get to this nickname, I really have a hard time seeing this panning out well. More likely it will be a variation on something already out there (seeing as how there is so much source material to work with). 

While we must move on. i am glad the process is over. Will proudly wear my jersey this weekend in St Cloud. I did not like any of the names but did vote all three rounds, I must admit i did vote fighting hawks last round as I could not come to terms with voting for a name that was associated with a condem!

cRAGUNS mRPA cONFERENCE.jpg

• Downvote 1

Minnesota fans:  "Lamest nickname ever!"  (then chant:  "Let's Go Gophers!")

I say this in complete seriousness, I feel bad for you guys.  For being a small school your nickname was very well known nationally.  I can't imagine how tough this would be if it happened to my favorite school.  I guess the silver lining for you guys is that this process is finally over after all these years of controversy.  I don't think that's a small thing.  Time to move on. 

But I do have to say that Golden Gophers is one of the great unique college nicknames out there! ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we just have to replace "Let's Go Sioux!" with "Let's Go F'hawks!".    And then if we really get lazy with it, the administration might decide it's not such a good nickname after all.

Oh, and for the Harry Potter fans out there, maybe our logo should be a phoenix?   :)

Edited by dagies
  • Downvote 1

While we must move on. i am glad the process is over. Will proudly wear my jersey this weekend in St Cloud. I did not like any of the names but did vote all three rounds, I must admit i did vote fighting hawks last round as I could not come to terms with voting for a name that was associated with a condem!

cRAGUNS mRPA cONFERENCE.jpg

Nice shirt - siouxpride.com 

Reading some of the reactions on Twitter leads me to the following realization:

Anti-FH people with identifiable Twitter accounts are either (1) independently wealthy, (2) very, very secure in their employment and/or future employability, or (3) completely insane.

Having an opinion on a matter of public concern is one thing…expressing it with zero regard for how it will be perceived by those with less (i.e., no) zeal for the subject is another.

This made me laugh. Not because it was funny (it is) but because how spot on it is. The social media meltdown is more than I hoped for. People's lack of understanding of the basic facts are just the cherry on top.

This made me laugh. Not because it was funny (it is) but because how spot on it is. The social media meltdown is more than I hoped for. People's lack of understanding of the basic facts are just the cherry on top.

Good to see the Hockey players handled it well, also.  First class tweets out of those guys, as always.   :silly:

• Upvote 1

I know this will surprise a lot of people here, but i'm just glad we're not the Roughriders!   Whew!   :p

Now that 98.6% of us have seen our preferred choice(s) lose, I hope everyone can get past their original preferences, and get behind the Fighting Hawks.  

It will be up to the fans to own this nickname and make it successful. 

Let's Go UND Fighting Hawks!

Well said!

I say this in complete seriousness, I feel bad for you guys.  For being a small school your nickname was very well known nationally.  I can't imagine how tough this would be if it happened to my favorite school.  I guess the silver lining for you guys is that this process is finally over after all these years of controversy.  I don't think that's a small thing.  Time to move on. 

But I do have to say that Golden Gophers is one of the great unique college nicknames out there! ;) 

He's right. We just went from a nationally known iconic name to a generic piece of... 

You may make fun of Gophers, but when you hear it you know right away it's Minnesota. You hear Hawks and right away you say... which one?

• Upvote 1