SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

•  
  •  

Sad, sad day in so many different areas of the nickname topic. Never to be the same, will never be better. The press conference and video was also sad. Do not see nickname as a good choice amoung many other issues associated the selection IMO. Guess the students got their choice. Good luck younger generations and others who voted for the new name on trying to promote a bird as your symbol of greatness and pride for a great University. 

• Upvote 3

... there will be no controversy whatsoever, so it is expediant and safe, but in the end, it is completely undifferentiated.

Yes, completely safe. Bob Kelley smiles. 

But there will be controversy when those folks that voted for FH figure out the "Maplesoft Hawks" logo won't be at UND. 

• Upvote 1

I have not lived in the GF area in just over twenty years, and I rarely get back to town to catch any sporting events.  I am sadly disappointed with the bland nature of the new name.  I will take comfort in the fact that while they can change the name of the current UND sporting teams, it will not change the name of the team I played for back in the early 1980s.  Go Sioux.

• Upvote 4

I'm still gonna take purchase football and hockey season tickets. I'm still gonna drive my 6 mpg tailgate van to grand forks for tailgating. I'm still gonna donate to champions club and all that, but honestly it'll be a bit before I refer to the teams as Hawks. I'll still cheer and stuff, but idk... I guess I want a brief pity party before I come around. Hopefully there's a really cool logo and all's forgiven.  Go UND Hawk-y

After going through the process that came up with this name, why would you hold out any hope of a similar process coming up with a really cool logo?

• Upvote 1

Could be worse.  We could be the SunDogs today.  Happy to finally have this over.

Thank you.   I need some perspective today and so far this is it.

How embarrassing for the people on the Committee and all of the UND community to have such an ordinary and uninspiring choice duplicative of so many other schools. 

amen

I will eventually warm up to this, but I'm really struggling to accept the bland, unoriginal name.    I'm just going to need to take some time.   Better get a kick ass logo to save this catastrophe

• Upvote 2

After going through the process that came up with this name, why would you hold out any hope of a similar process coming up with a really cool logo?

haha that's a concern I have, but I think Ed might be around by that point, so hopefully he can inject some common sense, so we aren't subjected to another bastardized vomit of democracy.

Edited by ericpnelson