SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sorry, but I'm going to repeat myself: it's a bird in a head dress. That'll never fly. 

Or else a parrot and a crow "got busy" ...  

" I have successfully combined a parrot with a crow! No longer will people in have to have two separate birds for Pirate parties and and Edgar Allen Poe recitations".

52a.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sorry, but I'm going to repeat myself: it's a bird in a head dress. That'll never fly. 

Or else a parrot and a crow "got busy" ...  

I fully agree, but apparently some people here think it's appropriate to keep poking the NCAA with obvious images like that.   NCAA has made it clear that Native American imagery

isn't acceptable so stop trying to slip in a few misplaced.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is William & Mary the only recent case of the NCAA saying no to feathers on a new logo?  I think it is total BS that we are afraid of putting feathers on a new logo.   That raises the likelihood that the new logo will be plain, geometric and very ordinary; not the homerun needed to lift the spirits of UND fans having to accept the FH name.

22 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Geaux_sioux's green logo above is still my favorite.  Below is geaux_sioux's logo with my poor amateur changes (which won't/shouldn't happen, but I enjoyed it).

I must say that I really like the subliminal SIOUX across the feathers on the bottom of your rendering. 

image.thumb.png.263e98a0897ca7f0cad481dd

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TRex said:

I fully agree, but apparently some people here think it's appropriate to keep poking the NCAA with obvious images like that.   NCAA has made it clear that Native American imagery

isn't acceptable so stop trying to slip in a few misplaced.

I don't think the NCAA is going to come back at tell UND that their bird logo can't have feathers.  Now, if UND comes up with a logo with a bird with a headress similar to the old Sioux logo, then they may have ground to stand on.  

39 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Is William & Mary the only recent case of the NCAA saying no to feathers on a new logo?  I think it is total BS that we are afraid of putting feathers on a new logo.   That raises the likelihood that the new logo will be plain, geometric and very ordinary; not the homerun needed to lift the spirits of UND fans having to accept the FH name.

Feathers that look like they belong on a bird would not be a problem. Feathers that look like a Native American headdress, or resemble any kind of Native American symbol, will more than likely be a problem with the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the opposite side of all of this, I guess.  I'd hope that the new logo has NOTHING to do with the old one.  I don't call ex girlfriends just

to hear their voice . . . I don't test drive a Lamborghini knowing I can't afford it.

Move on and have a really great version of the new name and logo, instead of a watered down version of the old logo that will just be a reminder

of who they're NOT anymore.

That said, I'll miss the old Sioux name and logo.  But I'm over it.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

I'm on the opposite side of all of this, I guess.  I'd hope that the new logo has NOTHING to do with the old one.  I don't call ex girlfriends just

to hear their voice . . . I don't test drive a Lamborghini knowing I can't afford it.

Move on and have a really great version of the new name and logo, instead of a watered down version of the old logo that will just be a reminder

of who they're NOT anymore.

That said, I'll miss the old Sioux name and logo.  But I'm over it.

I would say that if we are going with family or relationship based analogies then the Fighting Sioux name and Logo is closer to a child getting taken away by social services, not an ex-girlfriend, we didn't break up the Fighting Sioux, we were forced to surrender it by the powers that be, but i digress. I hope they find some subtle way to incorporate  the old logo, nothing too obvious but a subtle element that fans would pick up on from the old logo. However the smart money is on them doing something generic and in line with what a focus group things will be the latest trend in branding, rather than trying to make something timeless.

• Upvote 1

paging through Phoenix's college branding it looks like we'll get the normal, blaise', animal image related to "fighting hawks".   Nothing terribly innovative or imaginative.  Just a nice bird image.   bleh

SME's stuff looks better to me

It's hard to tell how much collegiate logo development Summit has done but nothing on their site looks all that exciting.

2 hours ago, dagies said:

paging through Phoenix's college branding it looks like we'll get the normal, blaise', animal image related to "fighting hawks".   Nothing terribly innovative or imaginative.  Just a nice bird image.   bleh

SME's stuff looks better to me

It's hard to tell how much collegiate logo development Summit has done but nothing on their site looks all that exciting.

That was kind of the all-around opinions I formed as well. If I had a vote, it would go to SME.

Here's an example of Phoenix's interpretation of a hawk for UL-Monroe UMass-Lowell (Riverhawks)
2.png

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

That was kind of the all-around opinions I formed as well. If I had a vote, it would go to SME.

Here's an example of Phoenix's interpretation of a hawk for UL-Monroe (Riverhawks)
2.png

Hate this!

• Upvote 2

Question from those of us that aren't licensing experts.  Does whatever company that UND goes with get a flat fee for coming up with the logo, and then UND gets 100% of the licensing merchandise money?  Or does this company get a % of that money?  What if UND wants an 'alternate logo' 3 years down the road?  Do they have to go back to this company, or could they open it up again?  What all does this contract entail?

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Three finalists announced:
Summit Athletics Media
SME Inc
Phoenix Design Works

Fairly impressive portfolios. SME did the Big Sky and NAU rebranding among other things. Phoenix Design does a ton of college work. Summit seems to handle more specific events/things but do have a variety in their portfolio.

I hope Don Draper works for one of those firms....

• Upvote 2