SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, burronation said:

Found this one on dribble that someone from Fargo did.  

und_dribbble_1.png

Not a fan of the screaming hawk look. The design also reminds me of FU's bison. No go for me. 

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Please do a confident logo instead of an angry one. The look on the face of our old logo is a good example of confidence instead of anger.

Yes please.

• Upvote 1

Dear Branders.  For you, pleasing the hockey program is everything.  Fail to do that, and your brand will not catch on.  You will hear endless talk of how the last logo was the "greatest in all of college athletics,"  or a variety of other such superlatives.  But remember:  That logo was a hockey phenomenon, going mostly* unused by all of the other athletic programs.

*Edit for 82SiouxGuy

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Definitely appreciate you and your firm seeking out the message board of UND fans to hear what the fanbase is saying.   Says a lot about how your firm wants to develop a logo and a brand that not just the administration will like, but the fans will like as well.

This.

Classy and savvy. I wouldn't have predicted it or even thought to do it if I was in their shoes. Now I'm wondering how the other two finalists can top it (or even match it). #signemup

5 minutes ago, obborg said:

Dear Branders.  For you, pleasing the hockey program is everything.  Fail to do that, and your brand will not catch on.  You will hear endless talk of how the last logo was the "greatest in all of college athletics,"  or a variety of other such superlatives.  But remember:  That logo was a hockey phenomenon, going unused by all of the other athletic programs.

It was actually used by all athletic programs. The hockey program used it more extensively than the others. Some used smaller versions of the logo on their uniforms. Some didn't put the logo on their uniform at all. All used it in marketing materials. It was normally used when identifying the team on scoreboards and in the press. The logo was associated with all athletic teams from UND, it was just used more extensively by the hockey program.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

It was actually used by all athletic programs. The hockey program used it more extensively than the others. Some used smaller versions of the logo on their uniforms. Some didn't put the logo on their uniform at all. All used it in marketing materials. It was normally used when identifying the team on scoreboards and in the press. The logo was associated with all athletic teams from UND, it was just used more extensively by the hockey program.

Hockey is the only sport here that ever projected the Brien logo as its visual identity.  Everywhere else, its use is incidental.

12 hours ago, obborg said:

Dear Branders.  For you, pleasing the hockey program is everything.  Fail to do that, and your brand will not catch on.  You will hear endless talk of how the last logo was the "greatest in all of college athletics,"  or a variety of other such superlatives.  But remember:  That logo was a hockey phenomenon, going mostly* unused by all of the other athletic programs.

*Edit for 82SiouxGuy

It's sad, but I agree. The rest of the programs aren't as whiny and needy as hockey when it comes to the name/logo. Make hockey happy with the logo and everybody else will learn to accept it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

On 1/29/2016 at 4:20 PM, burronation said:

und_dribbble_1.png

Hmmm, with just a little bit of work one could definitely make a transition to a hawk image that would be reminiscent of the old geometric logo:

th?&id=OIP.Mff6b0f3d014d6d4fbaf0d2132ec8

I totally get the need to avoid making he new hawk logo look like it has Native American imagery.  I also get some people's desire to have some sort of reference to UND's nickname/logo history.

So, why not reference the old geometric logo?   I think a skilled artist (not me) could easily work in elements that would hearken to the past yet stay within the boundaries of what would be acceptable to the NCAA.

• Upvote 2

On 1/29/2016 at 6:46 PM, 77iceman said:

The more i see these "birds with teeth" logos, the more i like my super simple design...

5693f9553a922_Hawks12_football.jpg.dc821

Adam from Summit Athletics, thanks for coming here and soliciting feedback.   I'll give my 2 cents though I'm not sure any of what I have to say is new or unique.  Others have already responded with many of the same points.

1.  As you can probably see, many UND fans think the Fighting Hawks nickname isn't a bad nickname in isolation, but being there are dozens of variations on the "Hawk" theme, in the end it's not a very unique nickname.   For a fan base fiercely proud of the what was arguably considered one of the best nicknames, and best logos in sports, it's very difficult to just be driving another "color" Chevy Impala.  Therefore, we really NEED a logo that will be unique and identiable.  Something that will inspire pride so that fans want to wear apparel with that image.

Therefore, please stay away from the cartoonish caricatures, or the bland images so common with "hawk" related nicknames.  we need something different, and IMO that means something that may be more impressionistic than realistic.  Take the Iowa Hawkeye logo, for example.    Or this one, above, by 77iceman.   It's unique, simple, and immediately recognizable as the University of North Dakota's.   of course I'm not suggesting copying 77iceman, but he provides an excellent example of the type of image I hope we end up with.     

What I'd like to avoid is:

3.png

5.png

4.png

The first logo and the 3rd logo pasted above are from 2 different colleges.  The last thing we need is a logo that's difficult to differentiate from anyone elses.

2.  As someone else said, we don't need to intimidate with the logo.  get rid of the "angry" logo.  There's no good way to evoke those emotions in a logo without looking like a cartoon.   We want strength, dignity and confidence, not anger.

3.  IMO, the best logos are simple images that are easily recognizable, yet representative of their nickname, regardless of size.  Think of the Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams, etc.   

Please, just don't give us a variation on an overused image.  

• Upvote 1

Not much to be said that hasn't already been brought up. The consensus seems to be pretty clear that nobody wants a cartoonish bird with bulging biceps and pecs ready to throw a fisticuff while gritting its nonexistent teeth. 

First, our crappy new nickname isn't just Hawks, it's the FIGHTING Hawks. Second, it is going to primarily represent our sports teams. Sports is about going into competition and fighting with the goal of being victorious. 

But people keep saying they don't want a mean or angry looking logo. It would be easy to say that a FIGHTING Hawk should look mean or angry. Don't people or animals who are fighting usually look mean or angry? But I really think dagies nailed it in his last post and was able to articulate what most people mean when they say we don't want a mean or angry bird: 

We want strength, dignity and confidence, not anger.

On 1/29/2016 at 4:20 PM, burronation said:

und_dribbble_1.png

To continue that though about strength, dignity and confidence versus anger, overall I like this logo. But the one thing that bugs me is that I feel like this bird has tourettes and is trying to win an argument by screaming and swearing the loudest. Scream as loud as you want but ultimately logic and actions are what win in life. Close the beak and let the eyes show the strength, dignity and confidence. 

What was so amazing about the Sioux logo? Its ability to show those exact emotions simply by the look in its eye. 

1 hour ago, dagies said:

Hmmm, with just a little bit of work one could definitely make a transition to a hawk image that would be reminiscent of the old geometric logo:

th?&id=OIP.Mff6b0f3d014d6d4fbaf0d2132ec8

Once again, I really think dagies (and others before) hit on something here. A good artist could very easily have similar white feathers overlaying black feathers on a Hawk logo like the one above as a nod to the geometric logo without it being a headdress. People have mentioned this before but I really think putting these two logos side by side shows how much a Hawk logo really could acknowledge our past.

One last little detail, please keep the logo looking left. Brien specifically designed his logo looking left to symbolically be looking at the proud history of the Sioux and all American Indians. Our new logo should also symbolically be acknowledging our nickname history and the people it represented. 

Everyone took great pride in honoring the American Indians of the region with our last nickname and logo. Let's prove it wasn't just lip service to try keep the old nickname by also having our new nickname and logo be a subtle nod to that proud past and history. 

To the people who are hoping to design our new logo, you ultimately need to research all of the meaning and emotions that Bennett Brien put into his artwork that made so many people feel overly passionate for it. It wasn't the first Sioux logo but there is a reason it is the one that so many people put in their hearts. The new nickname has absolutely no connection to the state of North Dakota, so everyone is hoping that the logo can somehow find that connection and meaning. 

• Upvote 4

Why does it have to be a drawing ?

Why not a actual picture - can't they put real photos on just about anything now ?

Wouldn't that be unique - does anyone else have any thing like that ?

Maybe it could be so cool that we start a trend

On 1/29/2016 at 2:15 PM, runaroundsioux said:

Parrots Cay,Rhombus Brewery,and of course the iconic Red Pepper everything grinder. (they don't have forks....seriously)

Some good ole shark wings will warm up the stomach. 

UND is now the Fighting Hawks.  Not just the Hawks.  Does a design firm run with that and make that a unique trait of a new logo?  Notre Dame is not just a fat irish guy.  They are the Fighting Irish and their logo depicts that.  Does UND want a hawk logo that depicts an actual "fighing hawk"?  Maybe that can make our logo stand out from all the rest of the other bird logos out there. 

That being said, If they went that route, I think we would end up with something like these.....

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND is now the Fighting Hawks.  Not just the Hawks.  Does a design firm run with that and make that a unique trait of a new logo?  Notre Dame is not just a fat irish guy.  They are the Fighting Irish and their logo depicts that.  Does UND want a hawk logo that depicts an actual "fighing hawk"?  Maybe that can make our logo stand out from all the rest of the other bird logos out there. 

That being said, If they went that route, I think we would end up with something like these.....

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

Ugh.  Please, no more!!

34 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

Fifty Shades of Gay. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A recap:

56af980970ef1_ScreenShot2016-02-01at11.3

Now, if I were a betting man...

I disagree with #4 all the choices were bad Fighting Hawks was just better than Roughriders & what ever else was available 

I wouldn't mind a Global Hawk logo there is a ad for this at the games & it's what we have here at GFAFB