SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

If i had to guess, I'd say they have presented logo concepts.  If the University was going to narrow down the field simply by portfolio work alone, they may have missed out on something really unique and cool.

In my industry, design is done on spec, so it costs the client nothing more to procure multiple designs.

5 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

Adam from Summit Athletics here and as it appears you all already know, we’ll be one of the groups presenting to the committee next week.  

A little about us - we’re a full-service design firm focused exclusively on athletics.  We’ve partnered with 110+ athletic departments, teams, and television networks over the years to help them create unique materials that generate excitement and interest around their programs and student-athletes.

Obviously, this project is a unique one.  Even before we started working on our presentation, we were hyper-aware of the level of interest and scrutiny around the “Fighting Hawks” name and branding.

A significant segment of our proposal is focused around ways to engage UND students, fans, and alumni groups and give them an outlet to provide feedback and share their thoughts throughout the design process.  We want to do everything that we can to ensure that the logo truly represents UND and the entire region.  In the end, it’s for you.

We can’t go into too much detail regarding our plan yet, but what expectations or concerns do you have before UND even begins this project?  We’d love to hear what’s on your mind, so that we can hopefully address them along the way.

Thanks - and if you have any restaurant suggestions while we are in town, that would be a huge help!

Welcome to Grand Forks!

Try the pizza and cheesy bread at Rhombus Guys. http://rhombuspizza.com

• Upvote 1

Yo, Summit Dudes ...

1. No creepy child molester lookin' toothed birds.
2. A bird in a native head dress will put us back in the NCAA wringer (no cross-breeding crows and parrots please)
and most importantly ...

3. No matter what you do, even if it's the greatest logo since the first utterance of "let there be light", you'll be wrong. Hope you have thick skin.   

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

Adam from Summit Athletics here and as it appears you all already know, we’ll be one of the groups presenting to the committee next week.  

A little about us - we’re a full-service design firm focused exclusively on athletics.  We’ve partnered with 110+ athletic departments, teams, and television networks over the years to help them create unique materials that generate excitement and interest around their programs and student-athletes.

Obviously, this project is a unique one.  Even before we started working on our presentation, we were hyper-aware of the level of interest and scrutiny around the “Fighting Hawks” name and branding.

A significant segment of our proposal is focused around ways to engage UND students, fans, and alumni groups and give them an outlet to provide feedback and share their thoughts throughout the design process.  We want to do everything that we can to ensure that the logo truly represents UND and the entire region.  In the end, it’s for you.

We can’t go into too much detail regarding our plan yet, but what expectations or concerns do you have before UND even begins this project?  We’d love to hear what’s on your mind, so that we can hopefully address them along the way.

Thanks - and if you have any restaurant suggestions while we are in town, that would be a huge help!

I personally appreciate you stopping by.  As you can see in this thread, a cartoonish Hawk is not going to cut it.  One that looks like every other Hawk in college athletics is not going to cut it.  

Have you guys looked at any other versions of a "Hawk" for the logo and branding?  Like a Tomahawk, Airplane/Jet, etc?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

A concern that has been brought up by many people is having "another bird logo".  It has to be somewhat unique so I think people are hanging onto the change that the logo can create some of the unique ties to North Dakota and what we stand for.  In other words, we're hoping you can accomplish what the nickname committee failed to do in picking a unique nickname that represents North Dakota specifically. 

Welcome to Grand Forks and best of luck!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

Oh, and look at our old logo.  That is your goal and shows you what we are used to.  

Good luck!  :ohmy:

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

You're off to a good start by asking for some guidance or at least making a good first impression.  Input from the students/alumni/fans will be key but none of them will want the same thing (good luck). The design will likely be not well-received initially but this is not to be taken personal, it is just a truth of the situation, unless of course it is identical to the Fighting Sioux logo which would be the absolutely only thing that would appease a portion of the fanbase. :) We are used to something unique and while it will be hard to come up with something like that with a fairly generic nickname, it needs to be "different" but please not in a cartoon-like way. Finding a very subtle way to tie in any portion of the old logo(s) would help you cause but not to a degree where it is blatant (like a headdress on a bird). UND is the flagship school of the state, classic is important, not something that is flashy or modern and is going to be feel outdated in a few years.

As it was already stated, have thick skin. This is not a project for someone who is unable to take some serious criticism, which will be inevitable regardless of how good or bad the design turns out.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

I always encourage visitors to dine at the Blue Moose in East Grand Forks, MN.  It is my favorite restaurant in the Grand Forks/East Grand Forks metro.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

1. No creepy child molester lookin' toothed birds.

35 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Hawks don't have teeth, let alone dentures.

I'm happy to report that one of our lead designers' #1 pet peeve is bird logos with teeth.  It inevitably comes up in our office every couple weeks :)

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You're off to a good start by asking for some guidance or at least making a good first impression.  Input from the students/alumni/fans will be key but none of them will want the same thing (good luck). The design will likely be not well-received initially but this is not to be taken personal, it is just a truth of the situation, unless of course it is identical to the Fighting Sioux logo which would be the absolutely only thing that would appease a portion of the fanbase. :) We are used to something unique and while it will be hard to come up with something like that with a fairly generic nickname, it needs to be "different" but please not in a cartoon-like way. Finding a very subtle way to tie in any portion of the old logo(s) would help you cause but not to a degree where it is blatant (like a headdress on a bird). UND is the flagship school of the state, classic is important, not something that is flashy or modern and is going to be feel outdated in a few years.

As it was already stated, have thick skin. This is not a project for someone who is unable to take some serious criticism, which will be inevitable regardless of how good or bad the design turns out.

We really appreciate all the initial feedback/concerns/ideas.  Hearing these things straight from the people that care most about the project will help us immensely!

Our goal is to present ideas that truly embody UND, it's unique history and the passion that the students/fans/alums clearly have for it's athletic programs.

And, thank you all for restaurant suggestions for when we get into town!

• Upvote 1

Good eats/drinks:  Boardwalk, Toasted Frog, Blue Moose (get the spinach queso app), Rhombus Brewery, Rhombus Pizza (I don't believe they deliver, so if you want pizza delivery, go with Mike's Pizza), Parrot's Cay (hole in the wall, but great wings), Wild Hog

Avoid:  The Tavern in the CanadInn.  If you're staying in the CanadInn, you'll be tempted to try it as it's so convenient, but just don't.  If you want to eat in the hotel, go to L 'Bistro instead.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

I would put the caveat out there that they actually have pretty good wings, especially when they are on happy hour pricing.

Maybe, but it'll take around an hour to get them, even if you're the only people in the place.  27 strikes and that place is out, for me.

• Upvote 3

When I meet people who are unfamiliar with UND athletics, specifically hockey, I try to explain it to them to imagine a passion like Green Bay Packers.  That they have a very successful history, are from a small town with no (other) professional sports.  This is THE event in town.  This is the talk of the town.  Therefore fans have spread throughout the US/World, so that no matter where the team is playing, you will find fans there in large numbers.

With this history, then I try to explain what the name/logo meant to the fans.  I equate it with the name "Packers" and the "cheesehead".  There are unique, one of a kind.  You see it, and you know exactly which team it's for.  There is nothing else like it in all of sports.  There might be attempt to duplicate, but everyone knows what the original is.  (The only difference I'd say is I think many people think the cheesehead is dumb, whereas I believe the Sioux logo was voted as the best in college hockey)

Usually that helps people to understand the passion of the fan base.   Now I'll spin it.  Let's say they told the Packers they no longer could be the Packers, and also could no longer wear Cheeseheads.  And so they renamed their team with something that is not very unique at all.  We know it wouldn't matter which name they picked, it would not be well received, and they definitely would want to stay unique in the rest of anything that will identify them (logo, etc.)

I am not as familiar with Nebraska or Notre Dame college football, but I expect there are some similarities there too.

So the GB Packers are best example I can use to describe the passion for UND sports, specifically UND hockey -- and the uphill battle on a new nickname and logo.   Therefore, I recommend not looking over that aspect during the process. 

These passionate fans are not only going to want as much of the old as they can in the new, but also something that stays very unique and is one of a kind.   That's why other poster(s) have already mentioned using Hawk to be a Tomahawk or Airplane/Jet.   People don't want to be unique.  Then other poster(s) have suggested if it has to be a bird, make it unique, classy, not a cartoon for kids.   People want to be full of pride in defending this logo.  And it's going to take a strong logo to get people to convert away from the past. 

Many people would rather just be "North Dakota" then have a new name/logo.  Probably no different than if Packers was taken away, people would just assume be "Green Bay" then be something else.   It's going to be an uphill battle with regards to public relations, but people will come around when they see something special - and something safe, or a duplicate of everything else out there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SummitAthletics said:

We really appreciate all the initial feedback/concerns/ideas.  Hearing these things straight from the people that care most about the project will help us immensely!

Our goal is to present ideas that truly embody UND, it's unique history and the passion that the students/fans/alums clearly have for it's athletic programs.

And, thank you all for restaurant suggestions for when we get into town!

Definitely appreciate you and your firm seeking out the message board of UND fans to hear what the fanbase is saying.   Says a lot about how your firm wants to develop a logo and a brand that not just the administration will like, but the fans will like as well.

I think the constant theme that you probably picked up on is we as fans want a logo and brand that we can all take pride in.  The name isn't the most unique by any means.  But this gives you (or the other developers) a great opportunity and challenge to turn a generic name and make it into something truly unique that the fans can rally around.  Not an easy task, but that's why you guys get paid the big bucks right!! HA!!:)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

I will echo a particular poster that a bird logo will be a bad idea and another form of hawk, such as a plane is the only thing that will give the least resistance from the fan base.  No form of a hawk is the state bird (see meadowlark) and "hawks" are not unique to North Dakota.  If you can possibly do what the nickname committee failed miserably at  in "uniqueness" you may be looked at positively.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SummitAthletics said:

Hey everyone!

Please do a confident logo instead of an angry one. The look on the face of our old logo is a good example of confidence instead of anger.

• Upvote 3