SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

12 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Question from those of us that aren't licensing experts.  Does whatever company that UND goes with get a flat fee for coming up with the logo, and then UND gets 100% of the licensing merchandise money?  Or does this company get a % of that money?  What if UND wants an 'alternate logo' 3 years down the road?  Do they have to go back to this company, or could they open it up again?  What all does this contract entail?

Which ever firm is hired is paid as an outside contractor doing "work for hire" and all rights, interests, etc are transferred to UND. I'd assume UND is free to come up with alternate logos in any manner they want in the future.

The scope is pretty much all encompassing. Start from scratch and come up with everything. The RFP states:

A comprehensive brand package that includes, though is not limited to:

• Primary graphic logo

• Secondary mark(s)

• Custom font

• Style guide

• Brand usage guide

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

That was kind of the all-around opinions I formed as well. If I had a vote, it would go to SME.

Here's an example of Phoenix's interpretation of a hawk for UL-Monroe (Riverhawks)
2.png

If we get some garbage like this, I'll move from self-enforced indifference on Fighting Hawks to open rebellion. I'll make t-shirts that say Go and list every single player on the roster of said sport than have anything do with the creepy pervert smile coming from a hawk.  Then I can talk about how crappy it is, and I can't be accused of not supporting the team. I will be as pissed as a person can get about a stupid cartoon bird if what we end up with is on par with this. I'll blame everyone involved as well.

Couldn't hate that bird more ...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

If we get some garbage like this, I'll move from self-enforced indifference on Fighting Hawks to open rebellion. I'll make t-shirts that say Go and list every single player on the roster of said sport than have anything do with the creepy pervert smile coming from a hawk.  Then I can talk about how crappy it is, and I can't be accused of not supporting the team. I will be as pissed as a person can get about a stupid cartoon bird if what we end up with is on par with this. I'll blame everyone involved as well.

Couldn't hate that bird more ...

What if it were like, wearing a funny hat, or something? :)

19 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

I believe that is Mass Lowell's

Correct. I had fixed it my original post but after it got quoted a few times. Not sure how I got that confused because I literally had to click on UMass-Lowell to pull up the logos.

The more i see these "birds with teeth" logos, the more i like my super simple design...

5693f9553a922_Hawks12_football.jpg.dc821

Someone asked why i didn't put in for the RFP.  I said "i'd rather not design for a client that is forced into the project and who's users won't like it no matter what it is".

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Three finalists announced:
Summit Athletics Media
SME Inc
Phoenix Design Works

Fairly impressive portfolios. SME did the Big Sky and NAU rebranding among other things. Phoenix Design does a ton of college work. Summit seems to handle more specific events/things but do have a variety in their portfolio.

Did they have to provide artwork already? Or are they just the three finalists based on previous work? Or by the lowest price in the RFP's? Just curious...