SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, bang said:

I noticed that as well. Pretty bland website, just don't think they would blow our socks off with a great sports logo. Like I said maybe they'll surprise us all. I'd love to have someone local to design it. 

Whoever does it I just hope it's not an angry generic logo.

A winning formula for UND fans on this would be 1) have B. Brien design the logo  2) his design would be unique to ND  3) Have B. Brien incorporate some details of retired logo into new logo   4) stick to our guns with the NCAA regarding item #3. 

Yes, I know NCAA wouldn't like it.

I'm afraid we're going to end up with a plain logo (geometric bird head) to go with our crappy FH name.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Unless there's UND grads working at any of those firms, I can't see how there will be any effort made to retain some details from the old logo.  Which is unfortunate.    

There is a UND alum on one of the 16 marketing firms that applied to develop a Fighting Hawks identity for the university. She graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor of fine arts degree. 

But how about we get away from the standard North Dakota small-town mindset that someone has to design a logo that looks like someone else's logo? I know it's a radical concept, but our state and UND does actually produce some talented, creative people.  

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

There is a UND alum on one of the 16 marketing firms that applied to develop a Fighting Hawks identity for the university. She graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor of fine arts degree. 

But how about we get away from the standard North Dakota small-town mindset that someone has to design a logo that looks like someone else's logo? I know it's a radical concept, but our state and UND does actually produce some talented, creative people.  

nope, just the one

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I guess I don't quite follow what you're saying.  On the one hand we should get away from the North Dakota mindset, but on the other hand ND and UND produce talented, creative people.  ?     So should we or shouldn't we employ someone from the area with ties to UND to design it?  I think we should.  Sort of like looking for a new president....there are people with UND ties that would do an outstanding job, but i'm guessing we'll end up with a lunatic liberal as per usual in academia.

I've seen some creative ideas here on this site that include a detail here or there that remind of the previous logo, which looked really nice, but if we end up with something completely different, that's ok, too,   One thing I do know is I will be one of the last people to piss and moan about whatever the logo is.      

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is she related to the great PCM?  Then that's all the credentials she needs, right thar! She's a good one!

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I guess I don't quite follow what you're saying.  On the one hand we should get away from the North Dakota mindset, but on the other hand ND and UND produce talented, creative people.  ?     So should we or shouldn't we employ someone from the area with ties to UND to design it?  I think we should.  Sort of like looking for a new president....there are people with UND ties that would do an outstanding job, but i'm guessing we'll end up with a lunatic liberal as per usual in academia.

I've seen some creative ideas here on this site that include a detail here or there that remind of the previous logo, which looked really nice, but if we end up with something completely different, that's ok, too,   One thing I do know is I will be one of the last people to piss and moan about whatever the logo is.      

This a great post. Especially the part about the administration. 

In case anyone was wondering where Interim President Ed Schafer comes down on the new nickname or were holding out hope that he'd reverse course:

"This university is onward and upward. The nickname issue is solved."

"That issue has been settled," he said. "The process went through, and in my opinion, whether you like the name or not, whether you supported the Fighting Sioux or not, the reality is we're beyond that. It hindered the university for many years, and the reality is we have a stake in the ground, we have a new nickname, we're moving forward, we have a chosen nickname and we're going to make value to that name."

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In case anyone was wondering where Interim President Ed Schafer comes down on the new nickname or hoping that he'd reverse course:

Shafer will decide on the logo, and the New President will take office after that.  That would be the best course of action IMO.  This way the new President can focus on other issues and not have to oversee the most controversial issue in UND history on is first day in office.

So I'm about to drop a nerd bomb over this whole discussion, its not specifically related to the new name but kind of design related thing, what if for the NCHC  Frozen Face off they did kind of a game of thrones style thing for the jumbotron, like the opening of game of thrones, with game of thrones versions of the team logos, I'm sure their would be a ton of copy right issues but I think it would be a cool idea.

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So I'm about to drop a nerd bomb over this whole discussion, its not specifically related to the new name but kind of design related thing, what if for the NCHC  Frozen Face off they did kind of a game of thrones style thing for the jumbotron, like the opening of game of thrones, with game of thrones versions of the team logos, I'm sure their would be a ton of copy right issues but I think it would be a cool idea.

Arch, you're using the term cool a little loosely aren't you? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bang said:

Arch, you're using the term cool a little loosely aren't you? 

Lol, what can I say I am an unapologetic nerd, if you have never seen the opening I'll post a link in here, but imagine the campuses or just the arenas with the logos of the teams. I think it would make for a pretty awesome intro or even promotional, though I doubt they would be able to get the rights to do it. at least for a price the NCHC would want to pay.

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In case anyone was wondering where Interim President Ed Schafer comes down on the new nickname or were holding out hope that he'd reverse course:

In reading the article, Schafer gives off that "buck stops here with me" leadership vive.

Its a refreshing change. UND has bigger fish to deal with right now that are bigger issues. So why reopen one?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Lol, what can I say I am an unapologetic nerd, if you have never seen the opening I'll post a link in here, but imagine the campuses or just the arenas with the logos of the teams. I think it would make for a pretty awesome intro or even promotional, though I doubt they would be able to get the rights to do it. at least for a price the NCHC would want to pay.

I've never seen the show before. Kind of funny parody could be done there. 

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/big-ten-conference-commercial-game-of-thrones

Maybe the best solution is to keep it simple, don't try to have too much detail on the logo, try to go to aggressive or too cartoony silly. What made the Fighting Sioux logo work was that the Sioux warrior had a facial expression that was stern and determined but not over the top aggressive and certainly not cartoon. Hopefully that aspect will not be  lost on the firms working on designing the new Logo. 

11bd286b22b47f6535cb689334aebc66.jpg

ancient-hawk-logo-vector.jpg

images.png

linear-hawk-logo-vectors.jpg

red_hawk_logo_by_irufort-d8ki468.png

• Downvote 1