SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

The students got a kick out of their boos & chant & it got louder everytime - that is why it got to be a bad thing for the new name - I get it & kinda enjoy it but at the same time don't want it to be the norm

I do not like many things the students do but have chalked it up to the generation gap being alive & well

But RR'S would have been booed even more IMO

So is it going to slow the transition  or should the new name be launched full blast & just see if it runs its course ?

Or wait until it has sunk in more & find fun exciting ways to implement the new name

I think alot of it is about Kelly going away & it should wait till he is gone completely

The students really dislike Kelly

Edited by Fetch

UND.jpg.98ed0befeaded9a39b4779a6ec54b061

I do like this but with the adoption of a less than unique nickname It becomes even more critical to have a truly unique logo. With that in mind we need to make sure we are unique in our respective conferences. This logo reminds me a lot of the EWU logo. 

• Upvote 1

UND.jpg.98ed0befeaded9a39b4779a6ec54b061

I like it!   Looks aggressive and the Nodak Nation ties in with our flirtation at becoming the "Nodaks" rather than the Hawks.   The other great thing is it's not overly busy nor is it trying to needle the NCAA with the misuse of strategically placed feathers.

Could we keep the interlocking ND logo and ignore fighting hawks (in as much as it wallows in lameness as a name)? Could we request broadcasters ignore the name?

I think you could very well see that with the hockey team anyway. I would be very surprised if they actually use any sort of Hawk logo. I would bet they just stick with the same jersey style they have now and probably keep the helmets the same too. As for the announcer thing I'm sure we could request it but I don't think the university would want to request it.

Edited by SiouxScore

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:56 PM, SiouxScore said:

I think you could very well see that with the hockey team anyway. I would be very surprised if they actually use any sort of Hawk logo. I would bet they just stick with the same jersey style they have now and probably keep the helmets the same too. As for the announcer thing I'm sure we could request it but I don't think the university would want to request it.

As far as I recall, the only team that primarily used the Sioux logo was the hockey teams.  So I wonder when the logo is out, how much of it are we going to see across the board in UND athletics.  If not them, who will? 

If they go this route of just having North Dakota on the jerseys, can the please change the style of wording on the jersey.  I love the script writing for the women's jerseys.

On 11/18/2015 at 10:37 AM, BigGreyAnt41 said:

Exactly!  Hawks actually hunt gophers, so there is that.

Except now the gophers are over the hill, if they tried to play UND now they would get their asses thoroughly kicked. The big difference between the WCHA and the B10 is that the B10 is full of schools that should be able to field good programs and aren't and the WCHA is full of smaller schools that are fielding pretty good programs for the amount of resources they have. U of M hockey is in crisis mode, they can't get good players to commit I pains me to say this but I think the U of M and UND rivalry might be on life support unless the goofers can turn it around.

On 12/13/2015 at 1:31 PM, UND1983 said:

do they sell this sweatshirt on their website?

Also if anyone cares I think you can still get fighting Sioux jerseys online granted they may or may not be bootleg jerseys from China but hey there you go. To be fair I do like the North Dakota non-logo jerseys too.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

It pains me to say this but I think the U of M and UND rivalry might be on life support unless the goofers can turn it around.

Why are there any references to Gofers anymore?  They are not in UND's conference so we are lucky to be able to schedule any games against them; especially with Douchey Lucia as their head coach.  So a Hawk kills a gofer....doesn't do much for me.

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Why are there any references to Gofers anymore?  They are not in UND's conference so we are lucky to be able to schedule any games against them; especially with Douchey Lucia as their head coach.  So a Hawk kills a gofer....doesn't do much for me.

Non-conferance games are important for pairwise ranking. My point is the Goofers have gone steadily downhill since join the B10. They aren't even receiving votes this year. Out of five Minnesota teams this year 3 are in the top 20, Duluth, Saint Cloud, and Minnesota State. Goofers and Bemidji aren't eve receiving votes. So even if we were to play them they would don much for us in the pairwise anymore. Also I doubt Lucia will be around much longer, they need a new coach in there who is willing to break with the U's dogma on recruiting and take on the alumni, but you could say that for most of the big ten schools.

I see that another group is taking to social media to push another logo idea to try to get some momentum, and encourage the university to consider opening up the process to local artists.

Personally, I think the one created by geaux_sioux is 100 times better.  We need to start pushing this logo through the social media channels as well.