SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Change the eye to the interlocking ND & it would make it unique to UND. I don't think it could be confused with a Leprechaun.

just noticed for the first time.  The Hawk looks like he could be crying.  Am I wrong? What color will the helmets be? Can the green Logo be used on a black Helmet and the  the black Logo on a green Helmet?  Same with the jerseys?  I like both colors and think this design is awesome! 

just noticed for the first time.  The Hawk looks like he could be crying.  Am I wrong? What color will the helmets be? Can the green Logo be used on a black Helmet and the  the black Logo on a green Helmet?  Same with the jerseys?  I like both colors and think this design is awesome! 

Yes. You just add a thick stroke of white to give contrast to the background.

Where do you give this thick stroke of white?  BTW are you the artist on this?  Very gifted.  Oh oh the quote below somehow got added here. 

Change the eye to the interlocking ND & it would make it unique to UND. I don't think it could be confused with a Leprechaun.

What was witnessed in REA this weekend (besides a completel mauling of DU) was reality setting in. 

Many of those who voted Fighting Hawks thought, believed, they were voting Fighting "How About We Keep Sioux." 

Well, reality hit. It isn't an acronym. It's Hawks, as weak as that is (and as weak as it was the 20-some other times a team went from a Native related name to a bird).  It's a bird; it's not an acronym. 

Congrats Fighting Hawks fans, you gave Dr. Kelley his greatest victory: consultant approved inoffensive bird. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

What was witnessed in REA this weekend (besides a completel mauling of DU) was reality setting in. 

Many of those who voted Fighting Hawks thought, believed, they were voting Fighting "How About We Keep Sioux." 

Well, reality hit. It isn't an acronym. It's Hawks, as weak as that is (and as weak as it was the 20-some other times a team went from a Native related name to a bird).  It's a bird; it's not an acronym. 

Congrats Fighting Hawks fans, you gave Dr. Kelley his greatest victory: consultant approved inoffensive bird. 

Or maybe you were/are wrong on who you thought/think voted for Hawks :ohmy: 

• Upvote 3

The term phyrric victory comes to mind out of all of this. Its too bad we cant get the true breakdown of the vote.

This past weekend just convinces me more that a fhawking good logo needs to happen.    

Schaefer has his work cut out for him to smooth the waters for the permanent guy. We need to rally and fix the division,  not widen it further.

Let me guess:  None of this would be happening if only voters would have been smart enough to vote in roughriders.  Right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If not the students, which demographic created Kelley's victory? 

it's time to move on.   there isn't a name on God's kelly green earth that would not have received a similar response at REA.    None of us are happy, but no one is offended....isn't that the true goal of political correctness?  

#MissionAccomplished

• Upvote 3

Let me guess:  None of this would be happening if only voters would have been smart enough to vote in roughriders.  Right?

lol exactly.  if only the name fewer people preferred would have been chosen, everyone would've gotten on board right away and cheered Roll Ridas! at the top of their lungs all game long.  :silly:

• Upvote 1

I won't make such a claim.

What I will point out is that I heard majority of an arena complaining about a name a majority picked. Something just doesn't seem to align.  

• Upvote 4

What I will point out is that I heard majority of an arena complaining about a name a majority picked. Something just doesn't seem to align.  

Look at the numbers.  Look how may eligible voters chose not to vote.  Same thing that applies to political elections applies here.  If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain!!

• Upvote 3

Saturday at the Betty there was an audible groan the first time the PA announcer used "Fighting Hawks."  I wouldn't say it was a majority of the crowd, but noticeable.  During the last minute of a close game, that's when I heard a majority.

But in all seriousness, how long can this go on for?

Until all of us already branded "Sioux" slowly die off.  There will be no re-branding.  If they really want FH to stick they will have to focus on a new generation.  They have to know this.

• Upvote 2

If potential recruits are at a game and experience this it won't  likely be seen as something positive by them.

They are not sitting there in a vacuum, there are coaches and players right beside them explaining the situation. I doubt any of them would think "Gee the students are booing their own nickname, I like the coaches, the facilities are great and the schools offers the degree I'm interested in but I guess I'm going to pass on the scholarship they are offering me." 

• Upvote 1

Until all of us already branded "Sioux" slowly die off.  There will be no re-branding.  If they really want FH to stick they will have to focus on a new generation.  They have to know this.

The new generation is being exposed to what we saw in REA this weekend. 

As far as, "they have to know this", the powers that be would have to understand reality (and they've proven time and again they don't).