SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Nope the great new nickname of Fighting Chicken Hawks is here to stay just nobody will ever accept it so good luck with that!! If they would have just left it alone a few more years and let something evolve naturally it might have had a chance....Yet that didtn't happen so now we will just make fun of the F'Hawking F'Hawks and continue until the end of end of time chanting Sioux!! So good luck with Fighting Hawks lol.  It's just a nickname ..I will always cheer on UnD football and Hockey yet how can anyone with a straight face say Fighting Hawks? It reminds me of Bruce Jenner all the sudden calling himself Caitlyn lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Nope the great new nickname of Fighting Chicken Hawks is here to stay just nobody will ever accept it so good luck with that!! If they would have just left it alone a few more years and let something evolve naturally it might have had a chance....Yet that didtn't happen so now we will just make fun of the F'Hawking F'Hawks and continue until the end of end of time chanting Sioux!! So good luck with Fighting Hawks lol.  It's just a nickname ..I will always cheer on UnD football and Hockey yet how can anyone with a straight face say Fighting Hawks? It reminds me of Bruce Jenner all the sudden calling himself Caitlyn lol 

A couple more years?  

Well I witnessed 327 people look at this and laugh in the SIOUX Shop, zero buyers.... also of note Sioux Shop sells SIOUX Shop Sweatshirts now LOL with little emphasis on the word shop.

Fighting Hawks needs a bitchin' nice logo.  I wouldn't buy that. But, I didn't buy Sioux gear without a logo either. 

• Upvote 1

Booing a nickname that our athletic teams now have to use is bad form.  

Coming onto the ice, field, court - the announcer says, "Here come your Fighting Hawks!", you are cheering the student athletes.   Not the nickname. 

I can't believe this has to be pointed out.  I think our fanbase is bat $ hit crazy...

i'm wondering when the announcer is going to introduce them as the Fighting Hawks instead of just when they're coming off a penalty kill. Last night I was waiting for "and here come your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks" but it didn't happen

It sounds like reality is setting in at UND. Fans booing Fighting Hawks, the same fans that wanted Fighting Hawks because of an acronym the students came up with. If you are going to boo the name you picked then why did you vote at all. It's just sad to me.

So glad you wrote this...

Maybe it's another reality check to people on here? Maybe the "hockey only" and the "students that dont know anything" didnt make this name happen?? 

Sure seems evident to me, and blaming the students all the time, on this website, should come to an end now?

Check out @UofHockeyBlog's Tweet: https://twitter.com/UofHockeyBlog/status/672981661336793089?s=09

• Upvote 1

Coming onto the ice, field, court - the announcer says, "Here come your Fighting Hawks!", you are cheering the student athletes.   Not the nickname. 

I can't believe this has to be pointed out.  I think our fanbase is bat $ hit crazy...

Good stuff right here! +1111

The healing will take time though...

Edited by bigskyvikes

Booing the new nickname, that'll show em!  They will take notice and get rid of the new name, I am certain.

All they did was ruin a fun celebration after a hockey goal.  :silly:

It was a real proud moment to watch a bunch of adults of all ages throwing what was the equivalent of a public temper tantrum. "Fighting Sioux Forever"? Not a single player on the team and I would assume at least 95%+ of students in attendance were enrolled the last time UND wore the Fighting Sioux jersey. 

Will never happen, but playing this song at the first break after people boo would be some Grade A trolling:

• Upvote 1

Good stuff right here! +1111

The healing will take time though...

I totally agree that healing will take time.  Complaining to the administration Is also fine.  Those people probably have it coming.

But, support the athletes.  Let them have pride in their programs.  Part of that is to allow them to have pride in their nickname. When you attend the games, focus on what will help the student athlete.

It sounds like reality is setting in at UND. Fans booing Fighting Hawks, the same fans that wanted Fighting Hawks because of an acronym the students came up with. If you are going to boo the name you picked then why did you vote at all. It's just sad to me.

The bottom line is that students weren't the only ones voting for Fighting Hawks. In order for it to get 50 percent or more, it would have needed to be more than students. It's silly to blame students and, in addition, I also think it's off base. I wish there was a published list for the vote count because I think a lot people would be surprised with the results.

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is that students weren't the only ones voting for Fighting Hawks. In order for it to get 50 percent or more, it would have needed to be more than students. It's silly to blame students and, in addition, I also think it's off base. I wish there was a published list for the vote count because I think a lot people would be surprised with the results.

The same folks that voted for FH also feel climate change is the biggest issue facing our nation at this time...............

• Upvote 1

I totally agree that healing will take time.  Complaining to the administration Is also fine.  Those people probably have it coming.

But, support the athletes.  Let them have pride in their programs.  Part of that is to allow them to have pride in their nickname. When you attend the games, focus on what will help the student athlete.

Agreed, but the post game interviews showed Cam bragging about the booing. He/they (players) may have added gas to the fire?   Might be louder tonight.