SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Agreed, but the post game interviews showed Cam bragging about the booing. He/they (players) may have added gas to the fire?   Might be louder tonight.

Well they didn't come out saying stop now did they.  I'm betting yes it will because usually the 2nd night Denver gets like 12 power plays it seems like.  

It sounds like reality is setting in at UND. Fans booing Fighting Hawks, the same fans that wanted Fighting Hawks because of an acronym the students came up with. If you are going to boo the name you picked then why did you vote at all. It's just sad to me.

Well, there's a decent chance the students that go to hockey games aren't the students that voted for this nickname. 

"Here's your Univeristy of North Dakota Fighting Hawk scoring (enter boos) how stupid.  If people want to boo our team....stay home!

Lighten up Francis.  Nobody is booing the team, and they know it!  Besides, hockey fans show up, home or away!  It's football and bouncey ball fans that stay home.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Lighten up Francis.  Nobody is booing the team, and they know it!  Besides, hockey fans show up, home or away!  It's football and bouncey ball fans that stay home.

So when a player scores and then hears boos a little after it, that's really gonna make that player feel good. It's a disgrace!

• Downvote 1

So when a player scores and then hears boos a little after it, that's really gonna make that player feel good. It's a disgrace!

Did you even watch the game?  They only used F'Hawks to introduce the coaches and announce the end of UND penalties.  Maybe watch the player interviews and see what they actually thought about it before you put words into their mouths.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Did you even watch the game?  They only used F'Hawks to introduce the coaches and announce the end of UND penalties.  Maybe watch the player interviews and see what they actually thought about it before you put words into their mouths.

if you don't like the name and need to boo about it, there is a school 70 miles south that they can cheer for.  UND is the Fighting Hawks get used to it, after all we are still UND.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

if you don't like the name and need to boo about it, there is a school 70 miles south that they can cheer for.  UND is the Fighting Hawks get used to it, after all we are still UND.

So if UND fans are unhappy with the name, their options are shut up or leave.  You're probably right, it's not as though this is the fourth nickname the school has used or anything.  This one is definitely permanent.

What if the PA announcer just used UND?  At least until the wounds heal a bit, and maybe there's a logo, ....might help a little?

So if UND fans are unhappy with the name, their options are shut up or leave.  You're probably right, it's not as though this is the fourth nickname the school has used or anything.  This one is definitely permanent.

What if the PA announcer just used UND?  At least until the wounds heal a bit, and maybe there's a logo, ....might help a little?

Until the wounds heal? What if we were Fighting Hawks back in 2010 when the Sioux name was retired do you think wounds would've healed in 5 years? There are those hockey only fans who are Sioux or nothing they would've thrown the other programs on sanctions to keep the name. Those are probably the only ones booing. I didn't say shut up, they could you know cheer for UND, sounds crazy but it works.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Until the wounds heal? What if we were Fighting Hawks back in 2010 when the Sioux name was retired do you think wounds would've healed in 5 years? There are those hockey only fans who are Sioux or nothing they would've thrown the other programs on sanctions to keep the name. Those are probably the only ones booing. I didn't say shut up, they could you know cheer for UND, sounds crazy but it works.

If it is only the hockey only people booing than there are plenty of them because it was loud and clear and led by the students followed by Sioux Forever chants. It only happened after a penalty was killed by UND as that is the only time the PA used the nickname. Cam Johnson said after the game last night that he liked the fans booing the name and other players felt the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If it is only the hockey only people booing than there are plenty of them because it was loud and clear and led by the students followed by Sioux Forever chants. It only happened after a penalty was killed by UND as that is the only time the PA used the nickname. Cam Johnson said after the game last night that he liked the fans booing the name and other players felt the same.

Cause they all have such deep ties to the Sioux nickname.  Joke.  See it in glass cases and hear history really moves them.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Booooooooo!

Sioux Forever, Sioux Forever, Hawks Whatever.......

My daughter are 15 and 10. They love UND athletics. They don't care for the FH nickname one bit but I guess because of that they aren't real fans...............

BTW.....they loved the chant following the booing.

• Upvote 4

This was going to happen regardless of whatever nickname was chosen.   I'm hopeful the Sioux forever people, and the people butthurt over their own favorite new nickname choice not being picked, will get over it soon enough to the point they are not negatively cheering our own nickname at sporting events for crissakes. 

Hope so too.  After the students did that the first few times I thought this is going to get old fast.  It did.  If it keeps up past the next series or two, I think they may need to double down and start announcing the goals as "Fighting Hawks scoring" as well as a deterrent, as sad as that may seem.

• Upvote 3