SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

From the very beginning they said there had to be a 50%    majority to become the new nickname.  With 3 names in their now how many votes will it take to get that 50%?  I think they would have to live by what they had said.  Eventually they will have to narrow it down to 2.   I did think we had done that.

Having voted for Nodaks I'm actually not pleased that the rules were changed to allow the choice on the ballot, but I think I can understand why.   Kelley's created a s-storm by changing the rules now, but he likely avoided another by a constituency that really wants Nodaks as the final choice.   Being the tally was quite close, I can see some logic in that decision.

That said, from my perspective this is decision only make it more likely Fighting Hawks ends up winning.    I suspect most Nodak and RR voter would vote for the other one, rather than Fighting Hawks.   So if Nodaks didn't make the cut, I'm guessing most of those votes would go to RR.  Hopefully enough to win the final vote.  Similarly, had the tables been turned and Nodaks was #2 and RR #3, I suspect RR voters would have voted for Nodaks.    I'd be happy to vote RR to keep Fighting Hawks from being the final selection. 

Unfortunately now I am afraid that there will be voters cancelling each other out to the benefit of Fighting Hawks.

I also think Kelley is making a big mistake by not requiring the final selection to have 50% or more of the vote.  I don't care if that does extend the process, I'll be a lot more made if Fighting Hawks is chosen by 40% of voters while 60% wanted anything else.  To me that's not a good way to select a nickname and will lead to lingering bad feelings (yes, I know, any choice will).

This isn't that far fetched. I don't think it's out of the question to say FH is the top choice for Kelly and the consultants of the final 3. Nodaks was the favorite choice of the most visible group on campus in Brad Berry and the hockey team. Keeping it on keeps that group quiet and virtually ensures a FH win.

It doesn't take a genius to study those results and realize keeping 3 ensures a FH victory. Going with 2 leaves a big chance RR could win and we know how the consultants feel about that name.

Edited by nodakhoops

I voted for Nodaks and am irate that the process has been changed. This is insanity. I have wrote an email to the president, Peter Johnson, and the Alumni Association. 

By changing the rules there is no integrity (if there ever was any) to the process. This is is turning into such a rigged vote. Before, I thought that there was no way to screw the voting process up, boy was I wrong.

• Upvote 4

I voted for Nodaks and am irate that the process has been changed. This is insanity. I have wrote an email to the president, Peter Johnson, and the Alumni Association. 

By changing the rules there is no integrity (if there ever was any) to the process. This is is turning into such a rigged vote. Before, I thought that there was no way to screw the voting process up, boy was I wrong.

I just wrote them a note as well...how about everyone on here send them an email and let them know how you feel?

robert.kelley@UND.edu

peter.johnson@UND.edu

• Upvote 2

It's amazing how many of us seem to instinctively sense some behind-the-scenes manipulation at play here, although each person creates his/her own narrative to explain the situation.  In my version, this latest twist is simply a show put on to appear impartial.  (Just like his move when he "considered" re-instating no-nickname.)  If I am right, Nodaks is already dead and will be voluntarily removed before the final vote.

• Upvote 1

From the very beginning they said there had to be a 50%    majority to become the new nickname.  With 3 names in their now how many votes will it take to get that 50%?  I think they would have to live by what they had said.  Eventually they will have to narrow it down to 2.   I did think we had done that.

At this point receiving 50+% of the vote is paramount at some stage to make this process looks even remotely legit.

• Upvote 1

Just some personal reflections:

Fighting Hawks: 6,960 votes; 31.20 percent, as we have heard primarily students who mistakenly believe that the hawk logo that is circulating will be the new logo. Also they love the name because they figure they can scream "Sioux" whenever the announcer says "Fighting....Hawks" Also a #2 option for the tree-huggers and liberals since it can offend no one. 

Roughriders: 4,687 votes; 21.01 percent: not going to change their vote, only hope for this name is that the sleeping giant is woken up and realizes they will be stuck with Fighting Hawks unless they do something. 

Nodaks: 4,571 votes; 20.49 percent: not going to change their vote, few outstaters will change their vote to this because they can't relate to the history or the state personally, funny I have yet to talk with someone who was born in North Dakota that see Nodaks as a slur. 

North Stars: 3,231 votes; 14.48 percent: Gotta be clue-less to pick a name that is synonymous with the state of Minnesota. I also see a majority of them moving to Fighting Hawks once again because it is the least offensive. 

Sundogs: 2,858 votes; 12.81 percent: these are the tree-huggers, liberal professors and those who are easily entertained that "UND" is ACTUALLY in the name. I would bet that a high percentage of these people won't bother to vote for any of the three finalists but those that do will go Fighting Hawks because it's the least likely to "Offend" someone.

So the reality is the highly paid consultants from the east coast will win and accomplish their job which was to make sure that UND ended up with a safe (not unqiue, not creative) new nickname. 

I was in GF for a long weekend and talked to several people about the nickname.  The owner of one downtown establishment told me that his unofficial survey of the people who came into his establishment was that Fighting Hawks was the clear choice.  I talked to my cousin and he said both of his kids were voting for Fighting Hawks.  Another friend asked me if I had seen the cool Fighting Hawk logo.  She hadn't seen it, but heard about it.  I pulled up the image off the internet and she said that she liked that one a lot.  Fighting Hawks seems to be the choice of the young and the ones who like the cool logo, not that UND can use that logo anyway.

According to the GFH piece this morning, the 50% majority rule is gone.  A while back when the process was being discussed, I brought up the Louisiana "jungle primary", where is wide open to all of the candidates.  If no one gets greater than 50% a run-off is held.  In the 2014 election Mary Landrieu got the most votes in the jungle primary, but when the final election was held, she got clobbered, because there were two strong candidates from the other party that took each others votes during the jungle primary.

The rules were set for this election.  If no name got more than 50% of the vote, there would be a run-off between the top 2.  To change the rules after the fact, is a farce.  If you are going to go forward with this sham, you better plan to have a third vote, if there isn't a name that gets the 50%.

Man, this group could mess up a one car parade.

Edited by GeauxSioux
  • Upvote 2

"Unfortunately now I am afraid that there will be voters cancelling each other out to the benefit of Fighting Hawks."

That is why you didn't just take the winner of the Final Five.  I can't understand how he doesn't understand the Ross Perot effect.

That's actually when the process to pick a new nickname got legit. 

Yep - that was on of the few things that was done exactly as it was laid out in the process.

As with everyone else, I'm very disappointed that the rules changed for this.  Nodaks is my least favorite of the three, but I would feel the same no matter what choice came in third.  

Also, regarding the logo, I think that someone (media or otherwise) needs to make it clear to those voting that the logo floating around cannot be used by UND (if that in fact is the case).  Although they could probably come up with a logo similar to the one that is floating around, people should be informed so they don't make a choice on that alone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why do schools retiring Native American logos often choose birds?

I think they just want to avoid any more controversy at all, so they go with the blandest, most inoffensive, boring name they can, which is typically something like a bird.

This is what others think as well.  Is this what we want, the blandest and most boring name?  This should have been a major warning for us about the committee process.  Let's face it, nothing creative was going to come out of that process, even though that is what they were spouting as wanting.  

Edited by tnt

Everyone has taken a side and now it's not about getting the best name for UND, it's about their side winning. That's what's not good for the University. 

Again I say bologna.

Abe Vigoda guy (siouxphan27) was staunchly "anti- Roughriders" and he's saying "top two" when we know it takes his favorite out of play. There are others. 

What's good for the University is to not appear to be influencing the vote by arbitrarily and capriciously changing the rules on the fly. 

What's good for the University is to make statements and live to them. 

• Upvote 2

Just start spreading this logo.

3101_cedar_rapids__roughriders-alternate

I voted for Nodaks, and I plan on voting that way again. Though if if Roughriders were to win,  I could definitely get on board with a logo like this. Unfortunately, Fighting Hawks is looking like it will lead the way, which is pretty unfortunate give how boring and incredibly bland it is. Sad to see us go from such a great name and great logo to just another boring name. At least Nodaks and Roughriders were unique.

• Upvote 1