SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I'm glad we will go from the best college nickname to one that 40+ colleges share. 

Brilliant........

This is what happens when the NCAA sticks their nose into something that doesn't belong. All the schools that have had to change their original nicknames due to "Political Correctness", now have gone with a standard safe name. Pretty sad if you ask me......

Fighting Hawks definitely a surprise.  May need to consider that option for next vote.  For me, FH was on par with Nodaks, so either is tolerable.  So, do I stick with Nodaks or switch to a winner and go Fighting Hawks?  Hmmmm...

... funny I have yet to talk with someone who was born in North Dakota that see Nodaks as a slur. 

Born: Union Hospital, Mayville, ND

I find Nodak, when used by a non-North Dakotan toward a North Dakotan, is used as a derogatory term intended to mean "backwards" or "hick". 

• Upvote 3

To me, the saddest part of this whole nickname fiasco is that the students are giving Dr. Kelley the exact thing he was hoping for in choosing a new nickname.  Maybe it (Fighting Hawks) was his second choice behind Sundogs.  Regardless, how crazy is it that in the end, a majority of voters, including students, are giving Kelley what he and the consultants wanted, a safe generic name.

• Upvote 2

Just some personal reflections:

Fighting Hawks: 6,960 votes; 31.20 percent, as we have heard primarily students who mistakenly believe that the hawk logo that is circulating will be the new logo. Also they love the name because they figure they can scream "Sioux" whenever the announcer says "Fighting....Hawks" Also a #2 option for the tree-huggers and liberals since it can offend no one. 

Roughriders: 4,687 votes; 21.01 percent: not going to change their vote, only hope for this name is that the sleeping giant is woken up and realizes they will be stuck with Fighting Hawks unless they do something. 

Nodaks: 4,571 votes; 20.49 percent: not going to change their vote, few outstaters will change their vote to this because they can't relate to the history or the state personally, funny I have yet to talk with someone who was born in North Dakota that see Nodaks as a slur. 

North Stars: 3,231 votes; 14.48 percent: Gotta be clue-less to pick a name that is synonymous with the state of Minnesota. I also see a majority of them moving to Fighting Hawks once again because it is the least offensive. 

Sundogs: 2,858 votes; 12.81 percent: these are the tree-huggers, liberal professors and those who are easily entertained that "UND" is ACTUALLY in the name. I would bet that a high percentage of these people won't bother to vote for any of the three finalists but those that do will go Fighting Hawks because it's the least likely to "Offend" someone.

So the reality is the highly paid consultants from the east coast will win and accomplish their job which was to make sure that UND ended up with a safe (not unqiue, not creative) new nickname. 

this is maybe the worst analysis i've ever read of anything other than the bit about the hawks logo which is probably 100% why most people wanted it

• Downvote 1

100% agree.  There has to be two more votes.  

Agree, I really hope it plays out that way, because I will be voting as follows

Nodaks, Roughriders, Fighting Haws: I pick Nodaks

Nodaks, Roughriders: I pick Nodaks

Nodaks, Fighting Hawks: I pick Nodaks

Roughriders, Fighting Hawks: I pick Roughriders

If there is one vote left, I see Fighting Hawks winning.

If there are two votes left, I see either Nodaks or Roughriders winning.

Agree completely.

A week is a long time.   A lot can change.  Any of the 3 can win.

If someone made it very clear that the Blackhawks concept design created and owned by a random Canadian has zero chance of being the next logo, that would probably swing a lot of votes.

• Upvote 1

100% agree.  There has to be two more votes.  

But according to the newly re-written rules, "most votes" of FH, RR or N ... wins. Unless someone re-re-writes the already re-written rules.

It's time to step back and run under the process and rules the first vote was advertised under (top two), otherwise, I can claim a bait and switch has happened and the voters were harmed --> If you knew "top three" going in, would you have voted differently? 

Edited by The Sicatoka

If someone made it very clear that the Blackhawks concept design created and owned by a random Canadian has zero chance of being the next logo, that would probably swing a lot of votes.

If somehow the students can be informed that some variation of Hawk is exactly what the consultants recommended and that Kelley is most likely hoping will be selected, it may change a few of their minds.

That is where I am at too. By changing the rules and avoiding a second runoff, not requiring a 50+% majority this is a fixed vote. 

• Upvote 3

But according to the newly re-written rules, "most votes" of FH, RR or N ... wins. Unless someone re-re-writes the already re-written rules.

It's time to step back and run under the process and rules the first vote was advertised under (top two), otherwise, I can claim a bait and switch has happened and the voters were harmed --> If you knew "top three" going in, would you have voted differently? 

Sorry I was assuming none of the three would receive > 50%.  If none receive > 50% I would hope there would be another vote off with the final two names remaining.

FYI - from GF....Nodaks was never used as a slang term around me.

Let's take a more realistic look at the vote just so we know how popular the new name will be and why I say that none of the remaining names are strong enough to have the staying power to be around in 10 years......we will have a different name than what comes out of this fiasco whether that happens by a voting process or a groundswell of support after a name organically evolves like this one should have been allowed to do.

Fighting Hawks......8.7%

Roughriders.....5.9%

Nodaks......5.7%

North Stars......4%

Sundogs.......3.6%

People wanting to remain North Dakota for  now/People wanting to remain North Dakota forever/People that don't care/People that don't care for any of the crap names that were selected for them to vote on/others......72.1%