SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I had no idea they kept attendance numbers 1,815 years ago.  Thanks for that.  But the question remains, was it "good for all of North Dakota" back then, as you claim winning FCS titles is now? 

It brought a lot of exposure to the Goth tribe though.  Really set the tone for their exploits a couple hundred years later.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Correct.......so what's your point?  We all know NCCA DI hockey is a niche sport........you NDSU clowns have made that abundantly clear.

My point is even college FB fans don't care about FCS FB.

And NOBODY cares for NCAA hockey?  Why so pissy?

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Viewers:

2016 FCS championship game: 1.35M 

2016 FBS championship game: 26M

2015 MBB tournament NDSU/Gonzaga: 2.1M

Puts in perspective the overall insignificance of FCS FB in the landscape of college athletics.

Is your goal to downplay NDSU's accomplishments as insignificant in the grand scheme or simply to say FCS football doesn't matter? If it's the latter, I would ask why you are so quick to downplay a subdivision in which UND is hoping to gain notoriety.

Everything is about magnitude and perspective. 

My perspective is to be good at what you've chosen to do; however, never forget to which magnitude you are working at. 

Being happy living in ND and being the best (... I don't know ... pick a profession ... ) newscaster is a proud and worthy goal; but it doesn't make you Edward R. Murrow much less Brian Williams. 

I'm pretty good in the shooting league I'm in and proud of it, but I won't be wearing red, white, and blue for the ol' USA in an Olympics. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Is your goal to downplay NDSU's accomplishments as insignificant in the grand scheme or simply to say FCS football doesn't matter? If it's the latter, I would ask why you are so quick to downplay a subdivision in which UND is hoping to gain notoriety.

I often ask myself this same question because I have seen this position by some UND fans posted here in the past. Sure the viewership from FBS championship and FCS championship are not even comparable, but I would love to win one. I will never root for NDSU but 5 championships in a row is extremely impressive. 

Honestly my pipe dream is a FBS conference with the dakotas and montanas as the core. Then this whole argument will be forgotten by history.

4 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

becoming successful in FCS, and living in reality being able to acknowledge FCS football is insignificant in the grand scheme, are not mutually exclusive things. 

I really didn't think this would be that hard for some to figure out but.......................

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Everything is about magnitude and perspective. 

I'm pretty good in the shooting league I'm in and proud of it, but I won't be wearing red, white, and blue for the ol' USA in an Olympics. 

Is this the same "shooting league" that gfhockey is in at Judy's?  

Bottoms up!

13 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

becoming successful in FCS, and living in reality being able to acknowledge FCS football is insignificant in the grand scheme, are not mutually exclusive things. 

I couldn't agree more, I believe I have the proper perspective about what FCS is and what it isn't. 

But some one this board are always so quick to be sure to put things "in perspective", it makes it difficult to not see that as attempting to belittle the subdivision altogether. 

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I couldn't agree more, I believe I have the proper perspective about what FCS is and what it isn't. 

But some one this board are always so quick to be sure to put things "in perspective", it makes it difficult to not see that as attempting to belittle the subdivision altogether. 

Well, if some of your fellow Bison brethren would stop holding up "Bring on Bama" signs and continuing to belittle UND at games that don't involve UND, then we might not do stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I had no idea they kept attendance numbers 1,815 years ago.  Thanks for that.  But the question remains, was it "good for all of North Dakota" back then, as you claim winning FCS titles is now? 

Again, you're just being ridiculous. Obvious typo.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, if some of your fellow Bison brethren would stop holding up "Bring on Bama" signs and continuing to belittle UND at games that don't involve UND, then we might not do stuff like this.

Any NDSU fan who would think NDSU has anything more than a puncher's chance in a game against Alabama is either grossly under-informed or joking.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Can you imagine a FCS Football Championship Game appearance, Frozen Four appearance and Big Dance ticket all in the same year? 

NDSU has achieved two of these in a single season, whereas UND has accomplished only one. 

I think it is very important for UND to aspire to accomplish all three things in a single season; it's more than possible for UND with competent leadership. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

However, there is nothing wrong in celebrating their success and being a fan.   

I make fun of FU a lot.  But five in a row is very impressive at any level.  The only ones that don't understand the level they play are those fringe bandwagon fans thst are pretty clueless about a lot of things in life. 

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Big picture:  

The 2014 GoDaddy Bowl with Toledo and Ark. St. drew 1.4M viewers.  That's Toledo and Arkansas St!

In May of last year a UCLA/Auburn women's softball game drew 1.6M viewers.

Respectable I guess is one way one could describe it but again in the grand scheme of college athletics FCS FB is still a niche viewership sport.

The ratings numbers for the FCS Title game are pretty impressive to me.

I sure would like to see 1 million plus viewers have the opportunity to watch North Dakota football.........

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

However, there is nothing wrong in celebrating their success and being a fan.   

I make fun of FU a lot.  But five in a row is very impressive at any level.  The only ones that don't understand the level they play are those fringe bandwagon fans thst are pretty clueless about a lot of things in life. 

I completely agree.

On 1/13/2016 at 0:44 PM, UNDvince97-01 said:

Interesting, but not surprising.  I'd also say that is pretty decent.

As far as the relative importance to the landscape of college athletics overall, interesting to note the 635,000 viewers from the 2015 NCAA Hockey Championship Game in Boston between Boston University and Providence. 

Just goes to show how important getting your basketball team to the big dance is.  It definitely has the biggest potential for exposure and viewership.

Would be REALLY, REALLY nice to have our football, hockey and mens basketball teams all rolling at the same time to maximize the exposure for the flagship University of North Dakota. 

Can you imagine a FCS Football Championship Game appearance, Frozen Four appearance and Big Dance ticket all in the same year? 

This is the vision I have articulated on this forum many times, only to be told that "you don't know what you are talking about". Kudos for once again stating the obvious.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2016 at 1:45 PM, UNDColorado said:

I often ask myself this same question because I have seen this position by some UND fans posted here in the past. Sure the viewership from FBS championship and FCS championship are not even comparable, but I would love to win one. I will never root for NDSU but 5 championships in a row is extremely impressive. 

Honestly my pipe dream is a FBS conference with the dakotas and montanas as the core. Then this whole argument will be forgotten by history.

Well, let's not kid ourselves, if NDSU wasn't winning titles in FCS and UND was still in Division 2 and winning multiple National Championships, there would be a lot of people down south that would belittle those titles.  Similarily, if NDSU moved up and all of a sudden UND won FCS Championships, there would be those that downplayed it by saying "Yeah, but at the level below us".   It's all part of the game.  The fact that the NCAA doesn't seem to care about the competitive balance and "home field" advantage or seeding nationally at the FCS level shows that they are hypocritical when they talk about not allowing regionals to be played on "home ice" in hockey, although if NDSU wins a few more championships I wouldn't doubt they would institute an "NDSU Rule".  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Well, let's not kid ourselves, if NDSU wasn't winning titles in FCS and UND was still in Division 2 and winning multiple National Championships, there would be a lot of people down south that would belittle those titles.  Similarily, if NDSU moved up and all of a sudden UND won FCS Championships, there would be those that downplayed it by saying "Yeah, but at the level below us".   It's all part of the game.  The fact that the NCAA doesn't seem to care about the competitive balance and "home field" advantage or seeding nationally at the FCS level shows that they are hypocritical when they talk about not allowing regionals to be played on "home ice" in hockey, although if NDSU wins a few more championships I wouldn't doubt they would institute an "NDSU Rule".  

How does home ice really affect the on the ice play anyway??

Home field in football, in the Fargo Dome is a huge deal.  The offense can barely or not even audible, can't make line checks and most importantly the competitive advantage of knowing the snap count and getting off the ball is gone for the O lineman.  UND needs to start earning home field in football, and we need the crowds to be big and loud.

• Upvote 1