SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

31 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The  MVFC is a whole different animal than the MVC.  The MVC won't take anyone, especially transition schools.  The MVFC will take every Tom, Dick, and Harry, unless that Tom is UND, who was black balled by a couple of Dicks  (Chapman and Taylor).

What about Harry? Harry Dicks?

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

IMO, the increased exposure the MVFC would get in the Twin Cities would make Mankato an attractive addition to the conference. Also, it fits well into the conference's footprint, and it would well to stabilize the Summit, which is good for the MVFC. I think the MVFC would jump to admit Mankato.

I doubt the eastern schools would "jump" at the chance for a plane ride to Mankato. Mankato and MSP are two different areas and the MVFC wouldn't get coverage in the Twin Cities that would put their conference on the map. ISUb at Mankato, Wisconsin at Minnesota....hmmm which would attract more viewers.

43 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I know you're heavily invested in the NDSU must join the Big Sky thingy, but what you're saying is ridiculous. Over the last 30 years, Gateway/MVFC membership was been relatively stable ... far more stable than the Big Sky.

Both "football" conferences are stable now comparing the BSC and Summit there is no contest who isn't stable. Last BSC football team to leave is Boise St in 1996 and the last basketball team to leave is CS-Northridge in 2001. That's pretty stable.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I doubt the eastern schools would "jump" at the chance for a plane ride to Mankato. Mankato and MSP are two different areas and the MVFC wouldn't get coverage in the Twin Cities that would put their conference on the map. ISUb at Mankato, Wisconsin at Minnesota....hmmm which would attract more viewers.

If Mankato ( Or saint cloud for that matter) were to move up to D1 it would likely get a lot attention in the twin cities, especially seeing as goofer sports are mostly an abject joke across the board these days, as well as the fact that it would mean that Minnesota would have two D1 schools for the first time, and as we are all aware minneostans don't tend to show up for losers, one only needs to look at the decline of gopher hockey to see that. Ff we take that approach why was MVFC or Big Sky interested in Adding UND? Its an isolated metro area with only about 100,000 people, it was new to D-1 and Hockey was (and still is) the school's major sport. Sound at all like Mankato? The Mankato metro area is about a 100,000 people with a school that hypothetically would be new to D1 but has had good D2 success and their major sport is D1 hockey. I think a lot would depend on what happens if the Power Five Conferences decide to form their own sub Division. However I don't see Mankato as a stretch for either MFVC or Big Sky, The School would actually be tied for 2nd interms of size in MVFC, it would be middle of the pack in Big sky. As far as metro area's go it would be on the same level as UND, Bozeman or Missoula, the only major Obstacle they need to overcome, is getting a new football stadium, which is starting to be talked about more seriously now that the Renovation to the hockey arena are complete.  So I'm not sure how kato as a market is any worse than most of the other MVFC or even many of the Big Sky venue's.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

If Mankato ( Or saint cloud for that matter) were to move up to D1 it would likely get a lot attention in the twin cities, especially seeing as goofer sports are mostly an abject joke across the board these days, as well as the fact that it would mean that Minnesota would have two D1 schools for the first time, and as we are all aware minneostans don't tend to show up for losers, one only needs to look at the decline of gopher hockey to see that. Ff we take that approach why was MVFC or Big Sky interested in Adding UND? Its an isolated metro area with only about 100,000 people, it was new to D-1 and Hockey was (and still is) the school's major sport. Sound at all like Mankato? The Mankato metro area is about a 100,000 people with a school that hypothetically would be new to D1 but has had good D2 success and their major sport is D1 hockey. I think a lot would depend on what happens if the Power Five Conferences decide to form their own sub Division. However I don't see Mankato as a stretch for either MFVC or Big Sky, The School would actually be tied for 2nd interms of size in MVFC, it would be middle of the pack in Big sky. As far as metro area's go it would be on the same level as UND, Bozeman or Missoula, the only major Obstacle they need to overcome, is getting a new football stadium, which is starting to be talked about more seriously now that the Renovation to the hockey arena are complete.  So I'm not sure how kato as a market is any worse than most of the other MVFC or even many of the Big Sky venue's.

Mankato won't be in the Big Sky, they are pretty tapped out for teams with the return of Idaho, and is way out of the footprint than UND, as for the MVFC UND is closer to a MVFC team than Mankato so if their is a slight chance they expand (on record saying they won't) I would think UND with NDSU right next door is a more logical choice than a team who doesn't count for playoffs for five years if they ever decide to move up.

4 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The two most eligible DII schools in the Midwest are Grand Valley St and Wayne St, which have academics and enrollment to find ancestors a DI move.  Why are they not DI?  IMHO, the Slummit doesn't want them because then the Slummit would have six FCS teams, and the other Slummit football teams would have to give up their precious MVFC spots.  The Michigan schools will not move without football being scholarship.  It's those kinds of blatantly short sighted decisions that will doom the Slummit League.  The schools in it aren't acting in the best interest of the league, but their only own selfish interests.

Mankato needs to tread lightly because the Slummit is trash.

18 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Simply? That's a pretty brash statement considering the three Illinois schools are already facing budget cuts, MSU is stretched thin and who knows what Indiana State is doing. Plus half the MVFC schools are more worried about basketball than football. I'd say both conferences have more than their share of schools that are incapable of funneling more money towards football. The difference is, the Big Sky has the potential to survive a split of some sort and remain viable on two levels if it became possible, the MVFC does not.

Funny, a couple of weeks ago two of those Illinois schools and Indiana State were ready to join a revamped MVC that had FBS football that didn't include the Dakota schools. Which is it? I pointed out Ind. St had no money to make the move and was told they would have no problem coming up with the money. According to SV, it sounded like the conference presidents in the MVC had met and this was pretty much a done deal.

I know the pipe dream of every Fighting Hawk FB fan is UND going FBS and NDSU having no choice but to drop down to D2, but I hate to tell you, it's not going to happen. UND will not go anywhere without NDSU making the move first.

16 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Both "football" conferences are stable now comparing the BSC and Summit there is no contest who isn't stable. Last BSC football team to leave is Boise St in 1996 and the last basketball team to leave is CS-Northridge in 2001. That's pretty stable.

You're missing the point. Admitting Mankato would help stabilize the Summit, which, in turn, stabilizes the MVFC. Given its location 75 miles from the Twin Cities would be very foolish to not consider admitting Mankato.

A former teacher's college moved up to  "State" university status ...18K enrollment ...located in a gap in the footprint of the conference ... proximity to a major media market ... association with other MVFC schools through the NCC.  

Minnesota State, Mankato looks more like an MVFC school than just about any other school I can think of.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Mankato is closer to the most distant school in the MVFC than Grand forks is to its closest conference mate in the Big Sky. (Correction: according to google maps it's 22 miles farther from Mankato to Youngstown than it is from Grand Forks to Bozeman)

Comparing the media coverage a D-I Mankato would receive in the Twin Cites to a Big Ten game against Wisconsin is silly. Which do you think would get more coverage in the Twin Cities: NDSU at an FCS Mankato, or NDSU at ISUb?

I have a personal soft spot for Mankato (minus when they play the Stangs) and as much as I would love for them to try and as much as I would love another D-1 option in Minnesota, because it is absolutely ridiculous that a state that size only has 1 all sport D-1 option, until the political scene changes (*cough cough the U gets over themselves*) I really don't see it happening.

Plus if Mankato were to do it, I'd rather see them do it all and not drop football.  Leave that for the St. Cloud's of the world to do.

Football off-season is weird.  Thank god for basketball :)

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I have a personal soft spot for Mankato (minus when they play the Stangs) and as much as I would love for them to try and as much as I would love another D-1 option in Minnesota, because it is absolutely ridiculous that a state that size only has 1 all sport D-1 option, until the political scene changes (*cough cough the U gets over themselves*) I really don't see it happening.

Plus if Mankato were to do it, I'd rather see them do it all and not drop football.  Leave that for the St. Cloud's of the world to do.

Football off-season is weird.  Thank god for basketball :)

Mankato would be a great addition to FCS, the MVFC, and the Summit League. I sincerely hope they are able to work out the political and financial challenges. Another Minnesota DI school would be great for college sports in the upper midwest.

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Mankato is closer to the most distant school in the MVFC than Grand forks is to its closest conference mate in the Big Sky. (Correction: according to google maps it's 22 miles farther from Mankato to Youngstown than it is from Grand Forks to Bozeman)

Comparing the media coverage a D-I Mankato would receive in the Twin Cites to a Big Ten game against Wisconsin is silly. Which do you think would get more coverage in the Twin Cities: NDSU at an FCS Mankato, or NDSU at ISUb?

I see only the SL in Mankato's future not the MVFC as the Golden Goofs would block football (like Nebraska did to Omaha). I would think Sioux Falls could be an option as well with more population, media with MidcoSN, and a football team that could go DI if the funds were there. The SL is becoming more of an I-29 league and USF fits it better than Mankato unless they both get in. Also UND could be a wildcard if the MVFC were to offer UND something like they did with USD. Maybe the revolving door the SL has finally stopped. 

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I see only the SL in Mankato's future not the MVFC as the Golden Goofs would block football (like Nebraska did to Omaha). I would think Sioux Falls could be an option as well with more population, media with MidcoSN, and a football team that could go DI if the funds were there. The SL is becoming more of an I-29 league and USF fits it better than Mankato unless they both get in. Also UND could be a wildcard if the MVFC were to offer UND something like they did with USD. Maybe the revolving door the SL has finally stopped. 

Oh, there certainly are problems with Mankato moving up, but I don't think those problems are insurmountable. If Mankato officials really want to move up, they'll find a way. If they do, MSU-Mankato fits the Summit/MVFC perfectly.

BTW - I highly doubt the Gophers could, or would block a determined Mankato from moving up. There just isn't a lot of reason for them to do so, Look at the state of Iowa, they have 4 DI schools in a smaller state, that doesn't seem to hurt the Hawkeyes, or the Cyclones at all.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Oh, there certainly are problems with Mankato moving up, but I don't think those problems are insurmountable. If Mankato officials really want to move up, they'll find a way. If they do, MSU-Mankato fits the Summit/MVFC perfectly.

BTW - I highly doubt the Gophers could, or would block a determined Mankato from moving up. There just isn't a lot of reason for them to do so, Look at the state of Iowa, they have 4 DI schools in a smaller state, that doesn't seem to hurt the Hawkeyes, or the Cyclones at all.

Doesn't the state of MN usually have budget problems with their schools. I know SCSU almost dropped football due to budget problems, maybe Mankato does their books a lot better than them and their budget isn't too bad. If they were accepted into the MVFC that would be another local team for a home and home without a massive amount to spend. UND could get them SDSU and maybe UNI on the slate, and it would be close to home. There are perks to having Mankato in DI plus they have produced NFL caliber players.

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Doesn't the state of MN usually have budget problems with their schools. I know SCSU almost dropped football due to budget problems, maybe Mankato does their books a lot better than them and their budget isn't too bad. If they were accepted into the MVFC that would be another local team for a home and home without a massive amount to spend. UND could get them SDSU and maybe UNI on the slate, and it would be close to home. There are perks to having Mankato in DI plus they have produced NFL caliber players.

Funding has been an issue for MNSCU in the past, mostly because Lobbying efforts by the U of M, but that is starting to change now, MNSU recently got a bigger budget, as well as a major renovation to the Verizon Wireless Center, and a New Clinical Sciences building. The University has some good momentum going which they can capitalize on hopefully and make a move to D1, but at this point I guess we have to wait and see.

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM, nd1sufan said:

Funny, a couple of weeks ago two of those Illinois schools and Indiana State were ready to join a revamped MVC that had FBS football that didn't include the Dakota schools. Which is it? I pointed out Ind. St had no money to make the move and was told they would have no problem coming up with the money. According to SV, it sounded like the conference presidents in the MVC had met and this was pretty much a done deal.

I know the pipe dream of every Fighting Hawk FB fan is UND going FBS and NDSU having no choice but to drop down to D2, but I hate to tell you, it's not going to happen. UND will not go anywhere without NDSU making the move first.

That was only me that was proclaiming the MVC was going FBS, sans the Dakotas.  Wichita St has their eyes on FBS, and they are not getting into the AAC or MWC with a new FBS team.  

NDSU and the SD teams will have a chance to join a Big Sky FBS league.  Otherwise they would have to settle for a Slummit football fcs conference.  Mankato would be perfect then, as the could be your little gf on the side.

9 hours ago, zipperlip said:

None of the schools in the NSIC have the wherewithal to field a FCS football team. You might see a couple of the schools drop football and move their programs to DI in the distant future, but FCS football is not going to happen.  

You're suggesting that a state with a population of 5.5M cannot afford more than one DI school...really?

There are, for instance, 8 DI institutions in the states of ND, SD, and IA. Those states have a combined population of  4.8M.

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM, darell1976 said:

Sioux Falls is not rich enough for DI, but Augustana could swing it w/o fb.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That was only me that was proclaiming the MVC was going FBS, sans the Dakotas.  Wichita St has their eyes on FBS, and they are not getting into the AAC or MWC with a new FBS team.  

NDSU and the SD teams will have a chance to join a Big Sky FBS league.  Otherwise they would have to settle for a Slummit football fcs conference.  Mankato would be perfect then, as the could be your little gf on the side.

part of the confusion when dealing with ndac fans is that they just don't really know the difference between the mvfc, mvc, scummit, mid-con, the gateway fb conference, fcs, or fbs....

11 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You're suggesting that a state with a population of 5.5M cannot afford more than one DI school...really?

The MNSCU schools have funding issues and Duluth doesn't get the support from the community. I think it's highly unlikely you see a school move up. I have some knowledge of the Bemidji programs and they aren't even close to fully funded. 

2 minutes ago, bang said:

The MNSCU schools have funding issues and Duluth doesn't get the support from the community. I think it's highly unlikely you see a school move up. I have some knowledge of the Bemidji programs and they aren't even close to fully funded. 

It's just nonsense that none of MnSCU schools can afford to move up. Sure, funding changes would be necessary, but the money is there, someone just needs some vision and leadership to go get it.

2 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It's just nonsense that none of MnSCU schools can afford to move up. Sure, funding changes would be necessary, but the money is there, someone just needs some vision and leadership to go get it.

I geuss I don't know enough about it to say if the money is there or not. Changes would definitely need to take place. I would think Saint Cloud or Duluth would be the two most likely to do it but I've only heard of Mankato even considering it. Saint Cloud a few years ago has some rumblings of dropping football and maybe moving to D-1 in all other sports was part of that discussion.