SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Well, let's not kid ourselves, if NDSU wasn't winning titles in FCS and UND was still in Division 2 and winning multiple National Championships, there would be a lot of people down south that would belittle those titles.  Similarily, if NDSU moved up and all of a sudden UND won FCS Championships, there would be those that downplayed it by saying "Yeah, but at the level below us".   It's all part of the game.  The fact that the NCAA doesn't seem to care about the competitive balance and "home field" advantage or seeding nationally at the FCS level shows that they are hypocritical when they talk about not allowing regionals to be played on "home ice" in hockey, although if NDSU wins a few more championships I wouldn't doubt they would institute an "NDSU Rule".  

That is all fine but my point was simple in that we have no reason to belittle a FCS championship. People still do it and I think it is petty.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

How does home ice really affect the on the ice play anyway??

Home field in football, in the Fargo Dome is a huge deal.  The offense can barely or not even audible, can't make line checks and most importantly the competitive advantage of knowing the snap count and getting off the ball is gone for the O lineman.  UND needs to start earning home field in football, and we need the crowds to be big and loud.

I think it effects the players just the way positive encouragement or negitive feedback works in any other circumstance.

i can't wait til the split between the p5 and g5 happens here shortly and the ndac has to decide whether to join und, idaho, montana, montana state, and whatever western schools to form a nice 8 or 10 team FBS conference OR keeping up racking FCS championships against towson, fordham, and richmond.

On 1/14/2016 at 9:08 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU has achieved two of these in a single season, whereas UND has accomplished only one. 

I think it is very important for UND to aspire to accomplish all three things in a single season; it's more than possible for UND with competent leadership. 

You don't ask for much.do you?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i can't wait til the split between the p5 and g5 happens here shortly and the ndac has to decide whether to join und, idaho, montana, montana state, and whatever western schools to form a nice 8 or 10 team FBS conference OR keeping up racking FCS championships against towson, fordham, and richmond.

what does that mean?

16 minutes ago, hrkac said:

what does that mean?

just saying that when/if the realignment happens that the ndac is going to have to decide to wait out their invite from the sun belt, mac, or big 19 or join und, idaho, um, msu and other "larger" western schools and hopefully be in the "fbs" tier...

FCS is almost dead and it each year it gets worse...almost a third of the division doesn't even partake in the palyoffs (ivy, swac, and now the meac)...probably another 20 percent are non-scholly/reduced scholly schools like drake and valp and playoff darling dayton flyers...and each year on or two schools get the fbs invite.

i respect the ndac's five titles but let's keep it in perspective tho...

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:
1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

OR keeping up racking FCS championships against towson, fordham, and richmond.

no, i get it. I guess i don't follow it enough to know what's on the horizon for FCS. my question was more to this part.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just saying that when/if the realignment happens that the ndac is going to have to decide to wait out their invite from the sun belt, mac, or big 19 or join und, idaho, um, msu and other "larger" western schools and hopefully be in the "fbs" tier...

FCS is almost dead and it each year it gets worse...almost a third of the division doesn't even partake in the palyoffs (ivy, swac, and now the meac)...probably another 20 percent are non-scholly/reduced scholly schools like drake and valp and playoff darling dayton flyers...and each year on or two schools get the fbs invite.

i respect the ndac's five titles but let's keep it in perspective tho...

Interesting. But what makes you think they have to join your scenario? Why wouldnt you have to join NDSU and some other MVCF teams? Its not like youve been tearing it up lately.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Interesting. But what makes you think they have to join your scenario? Why wouldnt you have to join NDSU and some other MVCF teams? Its not like youve been tearing it up lately.

the gateway football conference and the mid-continent conference are very very unstable conferences...

big sky conference=stable

gateway/mid-con=not stable

20 minutes ago, hrkac said:

no, i get it. I guess i don't follow it enough to know what's on the horizon for FCS. my question was more to this part.

if und makes the cut to be in the upper level (fbs or otherwise) and ndac stays in the lower level i hope they puff out their chests a little more when they beat the citadel for their 11th straight lower level (fcs or otherwise) title.

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the gateway football conference and the mid-continent conference are very very unstable conferences...

big sky conference=stable

gateway/mid-con=not stable

The Gateway? Wasnt that a conference about 10-11 years ago?  The MVFC seems pretty good. What five teams in the playoffs this year with the National Champion again from the conference.

Plus when the shake out does occur I doubt that the whole conference would transition. Just like The MVFC. I doubt WIU, MSU and ISUb wouldnt be moving up. So we just might let you join us.:lol:

winning or losing doesn't have much to do with conference affiliations...if so the ndac would have been chosen for the sun belt instead of coastal carolina...

on the bball side oral roberts, denver, and umkc come and go...

on the fball side if eastern illinois closes their school (not a school switching conferenes but a school actually closing up shop??) a gateway school probably replaces that school and if playoff darling western illinois drops down to d2 or d3 the gateway/midcon could be down two schools in the same year...

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

winning or losing doesn't have much to do with conference affiliations...if so the ndac would have been chosen for the sun belt instead of coastal carolina...

on the fball side if eastern illinois closes their school (not a school switching conferenes but a school actually closing up shop??) a gateway school probably replaces that school and if playoff darling western illinois drops down to d2 or d3 the gateway/midcon could be down two schools in the same year...

Why would have NDSU have been chosen when they showed no interest?  Wow--------Your really stretching Waaaaaaaay out there. LOL. But I do understand this is what you wish will happen. In reality not likely.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Why would have NDSU have been chosen when they showed no interest?  Wow--------Your really stretching Waaaaaaaay out there. LOL. But I do understand this is what you wish will happen. In reality not likely.

so if the sun belt offered full conference affilitaton tomorrow the ndac would say no?

31 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so if the sun belt offered full conference affilitaton tomorrow the ndac would say no?

Cant answer for the school. So why even ask me? 

But I would say no. Not in our foot print. Plus when the shake out occurs there might be better opportunities. But we would be stuck in the Sun Blah.  Then have to pay exit fees etc. I dont think you move up just to move up so you can say your FBS. Too many considerations. Is the move good for the school? Is it a good move for our program?  Etc etc etc.

We are in a pretty solid spot for all of our sports right now and in a better bargaining position if an opportunity arises that works for us...

8 hours ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

You don't ask for much.do you?

Well, you cannot accomplish great goals without great expectations. Ironically, that has been the downside to UND athletics in recent years; UND's own athletic department sets such low expectations for UND football and basketball that it's resulted in a lack of program exposure and hesitancy within the coaching ranks. Considering there's a working blueprint only 70 miles down the road, UND has no excuses; they need to step it up. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Why would NDSU even consider the Sun Belt or vice versa? The closest schools are in Arkansas.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, you cannot accomplish great goals without great expectations. Ironically, that has been the downside to UND athletics in recent years; UND's own athletic department sets such low expectations for UND football and basketball that it's resulted in a lack of program exposure and hesitancy within the coaching ranks. Considering there's a working blueprint only 70 miles down the road, UND has no excuses; they need to step it up. 

Just out of curiosity, how are you measuring the "low expectations" for those two programs displayed by the Athletic Department? I am fairly certain clearing house and hiring Bubba was not a result of having low expectations. With regards to basketball, they push even harder to get the community involved with the programs.

I work down at Minnesota State University, Mankato I have heard some rumors going around that they are quietly investigating going D-1. I have heard that they have done this before and decided not to move up. However their football and basketball program have had some real success in the past few years and they did put forward a plan very recently for a complete overhaul of the outdoor sports facilities that included a new football stadium with upgraded press facilities and a practice dome, so I'm thinking their could be some substance to this rumor. Any thoughts on how a D-1 FCS program in Mankato would affect UND and FCS if it turns out to be more than just a rumor?

Just now, ndlifer said:

Just out of curiosity, how are you measuring the "low expectations" for those two programs displayed by the Athletic Department? I am fairly certain clearing house and hiring Bubba was not a result of having low expectations. With regards to basketball, they push even harder to get the community involved with the programs.

The community has not bought in.  They can try all they want (which is good) but once the fans have checked out it takes ALOT to get them back.  

Just now, UND1983 said:

The community has not bought in.  They can try all they want (which is good) but once the fans have checked out it takes ALOT to get them back.  

Again, that in itself doesn't mean the Athletic Department has low expectations. It just means the community hasn't responded to their efforts.