SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

11 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It's just nonsense that none of MnSCU schools can afford to move up. Sure, funding changes would be necessary, but the money is there, someone just needs some vision and leadership to go get it.

Kato and Clown student run home to the burbs on weekends.  Most don't even know their schools have a fb team for their entire lives.  St John's and St Thomas could fund a move if they had a will to do it.

2 minutes ago, bang said:

I geuss I don't know enough about it to say if the money is there or not. Changes would definitely need to take place. I would think Saint Cloud or Duluth would be the two most likely to do it but I've only heard of Mankato even considering it. Saint Cloud a few years ago has some rumblings of dropping football and maybe moving to D-1 in all other sports was part of that discussion. 

Not only does Minnesota have a relatively large population, considering it's lack of DI schools, but it has a thriving economy and a $1.9 billion projected budget surplus. The money is there. There certainly are political hurdles...that's where the vision and leadership comes in.

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kato and Clown student run home to the burbs on weekends.  Most don't even know their schools have a fb team for their entire lives.  St John's and St Thomas could fund a move if they had a will to do it.

I agree about St Thomas. It has alumni with deep pockets, solid academic standing, location in the metro area ... It is an absolute natural for DI, particularly in Basketball. What to do with their DIII Football team is a problem.

St John's, meh.

19 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I agree about St Thomas. It has alumni with deep pockets, solid academic standing, location in the metro area ... It is an absolute natural for DI, particularly in Basketball. What to do with their DIII Football team is a problem.

St John's, meh.

Easy.  New MLS stadium = fcs football stadium for St. Thomas.  

1 hour ago, bang said:

I geuss I don't know enough about it to say if the money is there or not. Changes would definitely need to take place. I would think Saint Cloud or Duluth would be the two most likely to do it but I've only heard of Mankato even considering it. Saint Cloud a few years ago has some rumblings of dropping football and maybe moving to D-1 in all other sports was part of that discussion. 

Duluth is part of the University of Minnesota system rather than the Minnesota State system. I believe the Duluth president/chancellor answers to the president of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Can't imagine them allowing Duluth to move football to D1.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Duluth is part of the University of Minnesota system rather than the Minnesota State system. I believe the Duluth president/chancellor answers to the president of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Can't imagine them allowing Duluth to move football to D1.

Yes you're correct Duluth, Crookston and Morris (I might be missing another one as well) all fall under the U of M system and not MNSCU. I think if they got the support or somebody wanted to make a name for themselves in the system it would be a possibility. Like I said earlier though I don't see it happening with any Minnesota schools especially the MNSCU schools. Atleast, Duluth would have the funds easier to access. 

On 1/16/2016 at 10:20 AM, Gothmog said:

Mankato is closer to the most distant school in the MVFC than Grand forks is to its closest conference mate in the Big Sky. (Correction: according to google maps it's 22 miles farther from Mankato to Youngstown than it is from Grand Forks to Bozeman)

Comparing the media coverage a D-I Mankato would receive in the Twin Cites to a Big Ten game against Wisconsin is silly. Which do you think would get more coverage in the Twin Cities: NDSU at an FCS Mankato, or NDSU at ISUb?

Mankato's hockey team has started to get some coverage in the cities recently through via charter and Xifinity, not on the major networks of course but its a big step considering where the team was 3 years ago, honestly I see live streaming becoming a lot bigger for college sports going forward. cheaper and more options for games. As far as Kato ever overtaking the Gophers. that unlikely to happen anytime soon, I know the school is looking to challenge the U though, not just athletically but also in academics and research, just 10 years ago the U lobbied hard against doctoral programs at Kato and other MNSCU schools and lost, same with research, they wanted to keep their monopoly on that in the state of Minnesota, but now that is starting to change slowly but surely, and if you look at the scandals with reguard to spending and misconduct the U is in a weaker position to bully MNSCU, It also doesn't help that the U's three major athelic teams Football, Basketball and Hockey have been abysmal the last few years. I think MNSCU wants a D1 school that can compete with the U as well as Draw students from Iowa, Wisconsin and the Dakota's. They want to do it without having to raise tuition rates to an ultra high level, Like the U, I think if they are an FCS team this shouldn't be as hard to do but it will take some time. 

As far as the suitcase college charge, I think that is a fair statement but it has been changing in recent years when I first got down here in 2012 the student section at Football games and hockey games was sad. Now the hockey team has a packed student section and a reasonably packed house (would be more packed if Verizon Center wasen't a U shape are and, last section of the U on either side are crap to sit in). Football is also drawing a good crowd and the mavericks are looking a lot like UND did during its last years of D2 play. Basketball isn't drawing as big of a crowds despite having a good record most years but their arena is easily comparable to the Betty or NDSU's new court. More students are not packing the suitcases and staying in kato on the weekends, for events and work, so again the times are changing.

21 hours ago, Gothmog said:

You're suggesting that a state with a population of 5.5M cannot afford more than one DI school...really?

There are, for instance, 8 DI institutions in the states of ND, SD, and IA. Those states have a combined population of  4.8M.

MNSCU's state appropriations have been reduced from 66% of budget in 2002 to 41%. today. Students should not be expected to pay more in fees to fund a football team when the state seems to be getting out of the business of higher ed.

51 minutes ago, zipperlip said:

MNSCU's state appropriations have been reduced from 66% of budget in 2002 to 41%. today. Students should not be expected to pay more in fees to fund a football team when the state seems to be getting out of the business of higher ed.

completely agree students should not have to bear the brunt of a school moving up to D1, that said a move to D1 encompasses more than just athletics. I would however argue that the problem is far deeper that that when you consider that MNSCU's total Budget is around 2 Billion for the entire system which includes all technical and community college's in addition to the 7 State Universities, the budget for what amounts   145,000 students is actually only 2/3's of the budget allotted to One university that services just over 50,000 students. Now I realize that the U does a lot of research which explains the bigger budget, but that is still a pretty insane spending disparity.

Apologies to all for getting off the Topic of FCS football, this wasn't my intent when I broached the rumor about MNSU investigating going D1.

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 5:12 PM, ArchyAlum11 said:

completely agree students should not have to bear the brunt of a school moving up to D1, that said a move to D1 encompasses more than just athletics. I would however argue that the problem is far deeper that that when you consider that MNSCU's total Budget is around 2 Billion for the entire system which includes all technical and community college's in addition to the 7 State Universities, the budget for what amounts   145,000 students is actually only 2/3's of the budget allotted to One university that services just over 50,000 students. Now I realize that the U does a lot of research which explains the bigger budget, but that is still a pretty insane spending disparity.

Apologies to all for getting off the Topic of FCS football, this wasn't my intent when I broached the rumor about MNSU investigating going D1.

The mere fact that a conference has contacted Mankato indicates that one conference, presumably the Slummit, anticipates losing members(s) shortly.  That's always useful.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The mere fact that a conference has contacted Mankato indicates that one conference, presumably the Slummit, anticipates losing members(s) shortly.  That's always useful.

It won't be long before someone from that league defects. Indiana teams heading east, NDSU to the Big 12, Denver headed west, the possibilities are endless when it comes to the Slummit.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Reading bisonvile again eh? 

It's a joke. The Bison are in the Big 12 in wrestling so some of those idiots think there is a shot at the Big 12 in all sports, just like they thought there was a chance they could join the MVC in basketball (and non football sports) because they are in the MVFC.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

No, it does not necessarily indicate that. If Mankato is considering a move, the Summit would be very foolish to not contact them, whether it anticipates losing members, or not.

10 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

No, it does not necessarily indicate that. If Mankato is considering a move, the Summit would be very foolish to not contact them, whether it anticipates losing members, or not.

I think one thing that can get overlooked in all this is that these leagues are businesses , they want expand to new markets and gain new streams of income, they have to balance that with with skill level and parity in their conference to ensure quality of their overall product, but sometimes they have to take a risk on a new team entering into the D1, just like the Bigsky did for UND.

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Seems like solid logic at face value.

Until you remember that The Summit/MVFC failed to do what was in their best interests and self-preservation of their league long-term with a school about 70 miles north of 94 on I-29 when the opportunity presented itself.  Instead of being proactive, they have shown a history of reactive leadership style.  Ask Summit baseball. Close call there.

So now, from a business standpoint, your once logical comment has lost its sensibility relative to what is being discussed here regarding Mankato.  We will see if anything has changed.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I skimmed the last few pages of this thread,i must of missed this. Do you have a link to this "fact"? TIA

On 1/16/2016 at 10:31 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The two most eligible DII schools in the Midwest are Grand Valley St and Wayne St, which have academics and enrollment to find ancestors a DI move.  Why are they not DI?  IMHO, the Slummit doesn't want them because then the Slummit would have six FCS teams, and the other Slummit football teams would have to give up their precious MVFC spots.  The Michigan schools will not move without football being scholarship.  It's those kinds of blatantly short sighted decisions that will doom the Slummit League.  The schools in it aren't acting in the best interest of the league, but their only own selfish interests.

Mankato needs to tread lightly because the Slummit is trash.

Whats your record against the teams in the Summit?