SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

...and what did the AD do to jump start the football program?

I would agree to an extent with you football has definitely been undervalued, I think part of that is that UND didn't go D-1 with NDSU, but at this point that is a mute point. Up until this year UND football hasn't exactly been too good, I was going to school at UND during the last years of D2 and the Transition, I remember good sized crowds showing up to watch UND trample all over its other D2 opponents, however once D1 transition happened and we weren't stomping all over our opponents anymore interest dropped off, questionable coaching didn't help either. However now that UND has a good coach and is starting to get some traction in the win department I think the community will start to return, a post season appearance would have helped but UND was robbed of that.

Also if anyone knows anyone who is filthy rich A new stadium on campus probably would be a big boost to recruiting and fan interest as well as creating an awesome atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I would agree to an extent with you football has definitely been undervalued, I think part of that is that UND didn't go D-1 with NDSU, but at this point that is a mute point. Up until this year UND football hasn't exactly been too good, I was going to school at UND during the last years of D2 and the Transition, I remember good sized crowds showing up to watch UND trample all over its other D2 opponents, however once D1 transition happened and we weren't stomping all over our opponents anymore interest dropped off, questionable coaching didn't help either. However now that UND has a good coach and is starting to get some traction in the win department I think the community will start to return, a post season appearance would have helped but UND was robbed of that.

Also if anyone knows anyone who is filthy rich A new stadium on campus probably would be a big boost to recruiting and fan interest as well as creating an awesome atmosphere.

Good summary, well said.

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he passes Lynch on the big board of QBs and threatens Goffs status at the first QB on the board.

I would be surprised if Wentz was picked before both of those guys....nonetheless I will be fun to see where a kid from Bismarck, ND gets drafted.

47 minutes ago, ndlifer said:

Again, that in itself doesn't mean the Athletic Department has low expectations. It just means the community hasn't responded to their efforts.

The community hasn't bought in because they know quality when they see it and they know crap when they see it. And a lot of our non-hockey programs have been crap since we moved up. Now Bubba is changing that with FB and MBB seems to be playing better this year, but after years of mediocrity it will take time to get the fans back.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I would be surprised if Wentz was picked before both of those guys....nonetheless I will be fun to see where a kid from Bismarck, ND gets drafted.

I watched Lynch a few times. He's got nothing on Wentz. I'd say Wentz is probably #2 heading into the combine.

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The community hasn't bought in because they know quality when they see it and they know crap when they see it. And a lot of our non-hockey programs have been crap since we moved up. Now Bubba is changing that with FB and MBB seems to be playing better this year, but after years of mediocrity it will take time to get the fans back.

I'd argue the MBB played at a quality above "crap" the first two years in the BSC, especially at home. Lost some head scratchers but were competitive and were in contention to win the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I work down at Minnesota State University, Mankato I have heard some rumors going around that they are quietly investigating going D-1. I have heard that they have done this before and decided not to move up. However their football and basketball program have had some real success in the past few years and they did put forward a plan very recently for a complete overhaul of the outdoor sports facilities that included a new football stadium with upgraded press facilities and a practice dome, so I'm thinking their could be some substance to this rumor. Any thoughts on how a D-1 FCS program in Mankato would affect UND and FCS if it turns out to be more than just a rumor?

I've always liked the idea of getting in a conference with all the ND schools and Montana's. Mankato would make that a little more realistic. If that could happen I would love to see a few Illinois schools in the conference as well. All this a pipe dream but Mankato would make conference realignment for ND, Montana schools very interesting. The negatives for UND would be recruiting. Mankato might be able to win some battles just on location to the cities. Some many different scenario's could play out there. 

Just now, bang said:

I've always liked the idea of getting in a conference with all the ND schools and Montana's. Mankato would make that a little more realistic. If that could happen I would love to see a few Illinois schools in the conference as well. All this a pipe dream but Mankato would make conference realignment for ND, Montana schools very interesting. The negatives for UND would be recruiting. Mankato might be able to win some battles just on location to the cities. Some many different scenario's could play out there. 

It would be interesting, assuming the evil Maroon and Gold empire doesn't squash it, never underestimate the lobbying power of that behemoth.  But I think UND would win the battles more often than not early on, UND has the better facilities and a more established team in D1 but in 10 years who knows, could make for a good rivalry for the two schools, especially if the NCHC can manage to poach the Mav's from the WCHA. Hypothetically they would be competing against each other in every sport not too mention the schools are a similar size and Mankato and Grand Forks are similar in size as well.

11 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

It would be interesting, assuming the evil Maroon and Gold empire doesn't squash it, never underestimate the lobbying power of that behemoth.  But I think UND would win the battles more often than not early on, UND has the better facilities and a more established team in D1 but in 10 years who knows, could make for a good rivalry for the two schools, especially if the NCHC can manage to poach the Mav's from the WCHA. Hypothetically they would be competing against each other in every sport not too mention the schools are a similar size and Mankato and Grand Forks are similar in size as well.

Well, Cornhuskers sure had a big input on Nebraska Omaha. So I can see your point on the Moron and Goof empire.

3 minutes ago, bang said:

Well, Cornhuskers sure had a big input on Nebraska Omaha. So I can see your point on the Moron and Goof empire.

The U has one of the most powerful "education" lobbies in the Minnesota State Government, they do everything they can to keep the state colleges as a disadvantage, its part of the reason that the State Universities are woefully under funded while the U continues to get just about everything it asks for, like a sports village.

1 minute ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The U has one of the most powerful "education" lobbies in the Minnesota State Government, they do everything they can to keep the state colleges as a disadvantage, its part of the reason that the state colleges are woefully under funded while the U continues to get just about everything it asks for, like a sports village.

You wander if MSU ever did go FCS, if the Gophers would ever play them like they did most of the Dakota schools. Can you imagine if Mankato would own the Gophers in multiple occasions like NDSU did? The state would implode. 

1 minute ago, bang said:

You wander if MSU ever did go FCS, if the Gophers would ever play them like they did most of the Dakota schools. Can you imagine if Mankato would own the Gophers in multiple occasions like NDSU did? The state would implode. 

No way MSU goes FCS, there is no conference for them. If the MVFC doesn't want us no way they would take Mankato. Their path to DI is the same route UNO took, dump football and join the Slummit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bang said:

They won't the BigTen has stopped Scheduling games with FCS opponents, but I think it would be good for the state, the gophers have to great a sense of entitlement when it comes to in state support.

6 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

They won't the BigTen has stopped Scheduling games with FCS opponents, but I think it would be good for the state, the gophers have to great a sense of entitlement when it comes to in state support.

MNSU won't dump football as it is easily the next most popular sport next to hockey, if MNSU decided to go D1 it will be awhile before they made the move, also I would think that MVFC or BigSky would be interested in breaking into Minnesota as market, esspeically since gopher sports are pretty much across the board terrible these days. 

4 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

MNSU won't dump football as it is easily the next most popular sport next to hockey, if MNSU decided to go D1 it will be awhile before they made the move, also I would think that MVFC or BigSky would be interested in breaking into Minnesota as market, esspeically since gopher sports are pretty much across the board terrible these days. 

The Slummit might be forced to take them if they lose a couple teams.  Could also see the Horizon as being interested, but not the MVC.   They might have to put football in the Pioneer League.  They are butthurt at not being In the NCHC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Slummit might be forced to take them if they lose a couple teams.  Could also see the Horizon as being interested, but not the MVC.   They might have to put football in the Pioneer League.  They are butthurt at not being In the NCHC.

A little at first maybe, but I think that they realize that not going into the NCHC gave them the chance to get a bit more exposure and build up their program, also the costs to be in NCHC.

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i can't wait til the split between the p5 and g5 happens here shortly and the ndac has to decide whether to join und, idaho, montana, montana state, and whatever western schools to form a nice 8 or 10 team FBS conference OR keeping up racking FCS championships against towson, fordham, and richmond.

Huge if on whether a split actually happens.  If it does, the Mvfc will simply adjust scholarships up to be in tier 2.  The Big Sky on the other hand has half or more of their teams incapable of more $ toward scholarships.  A split would surely keep ndsu in the east, and create big sky instability.

28 minutes ago, Herd said:

Huge if on whether a split actually happens.  If it does, the Mvfc will simply adjust scholarships up to be in tier 2.  The Big Sky on the other hand has half or more of their teams incapable of more $ toward scholarships.  A split would surely keep ndsu in the east, and create big sky instability.

Simply? That's a pretty brash statement considering the three Illinois schools are already facing budget cuts, MSU is stretched thin and who knows what Indiana State is doing. Plus half the MVFC schools are more worried about basketball than football. I'd say both conferences have more than their share of schools that are incapable of funneling more money towards football. The difference is, the Big Sky has the potential to survive a split of some sort and remain viable on two levels if it became possible, the MVFC does not.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Simply? That's a pretty brash statement considering the three Illinois schools are already facing budget cuts, MSU is stretched thin and who knows what Indiana State is doing. Plus half the MVFC schools are more worried about basketball than football. I'd say both conferences have more than their share of schools that are incapable of funneling more money towards football. The difference is, the Big Sky has the potential to survive a split of some sort and remain viable on two levels if it became possible, the MVFC does not.

I love how these guys always get refuted with facts. 

Good post.

7 hours ago, ndlifer said:

Just out of curiosity, how are you measuring the "low expectations" for those two programs displayed by the Athletic Department? I am fairly certain clearing house and hiring Bubba was not a result of having low expectations. With regards to basketball, they push even harder to get the community involved with the programs.

Well, shortly after the school to the south was doing things like this:

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2008-09/releases/3690215_1

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-12-17/football-championship-subdivision-semifinals/52030000/1

UND decided to do this:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-football-mussman-signs-contract-extension

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-mens-basketball-coach-brian-jones-signs-3-year-contract-extension

...despite the fact neither one had even coached in the Big Sky Conference before or recorded any major victories. Not to mention, NDSU was winning FCS championships and playing in the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Shortly thereafter:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24248934/north-dakota-fires-chris-mussman-as-football-coach

http://www.inforum.com/content/und-loses-two-its-top-football-players-transfer

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports-und-basketball/3634422-und-mens-basketball-ndsu-jumps-out-11-0-lead-coasts-71-42-win-over-und

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3892194-mens-basketball-northern-iowa-dominates-und-97-51

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-basketball/3902300-mens-basketball-ndsu-pushes-69-67-win-over-und

In my opinion, UND's athletic department has far lower expectations for football and men's basketball than does NDSU. Its frustrating because NDSU's football and basketball success - coupled with UND's lack thereof - has completely allowed NDSU to takeover the state of North Dakota in terms of following and support. 

I will say that I am extremely happy that Bubba was hired and I am tremendously excited for the future. Nevertheless, UND's athletic department still has a lot of work to do; the ingenuity for tailgating and in-game entertaining is absent. So, I'll place these here:

http://www.valleynewslive.com/sports/headlines/North-Dakota-Beats-Cal-Poly-45-21-For-7th-Win-352847771.html

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/north-dakota-rolls-45-21-win-over-cal-poly

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

No way MSU goes FCS, there is no conference for them. If the MVFC doesn't want us no way they would take Mankato. Their path to DI is the same route UNO took, dump football and join the Slummit.

IMO, the increased exposure the MVFC would get in the Twin Cities would make Mankato an attractive addition to the conference. Also, it fits well into the conference's footprint, and it would well to stabilize the Summit, which is good for the MVFC. I think the MVFC would jump to admit Mankato.

4 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

IMO, the increased exposure the MVFC would get in the Twin Cities would make Mankato an attractive addition to the conference. Also, it fits well into the conference's footprint, and it would well to stabilize the Summit, which is good for the MVFC. I think the MVFC would jump to admit Mankato.

The  MVFC is a whole different animal than the MVC.  The MVC won't take anyone, especially transition schools.  The MVFC will take every Tom, Dick, and Harry, unless that Tom is UND, who was black balled by a couple of Dicks  (Chapman and Taylor).

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The  MVFC is a whole different animal than the MVC.  The MVC won't take anyone, especially transition schools.  The MVFC will take every Tom, Dick, and Harry, unless that Tom is UND, who was black balled by a couple of Dicks  (Chapman and Taylor).

I know you're heavily invested in the NDSU must join the Big Sky thingy, but what you're saying is ridiculous. Over the last 30 years, Gateway/MVFC membership was been relatively stable ... far more stable than the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Thats what happens when you dont play well with others.:lol:

34 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

At one time Mankato had a pretty good football team back in the NCC days.