SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Not a bad idea.  First get the Nodak name in place, then go after any other UND references to the brutally awful "Roughriders."

There has honestly never been a time where I stood up in front of a room full of individuals and proudly declared my North Dakota heritage with an emblem or icon of a volunteer member of a US military regiment assigned to kill Spaniards in Cuba.  Yep, nothing exemplifies North Dakota more than some young rancher from a Southwest border state like Arizona or New Mexico whacking his way through the San Juan Hills to capture the city of Santiago de Cuba.  Bully!

taz

So that's one vote for RoughRiders then?

Ding ding ding, welcome to the same type of fight us on the otherside of this has had! Now you know how we feel, the Fighting Sioux lovers, the no nickname lovers, and the next best thing Nokak lovers go through everytime we make a change to a lesser of evil of what's left! But to deal with people like you and your buddies that want nothing but one name , RR! Then hear how everything else is so wrong! I just have to laugh at your complaint, its exactly what has been done to us in the last few weeks...:lol:

You are so clueless. I will repeat myself. I have never supported any of the current 5 choices. I ended up voting for Roughriders because I believe it is the most marketable of the remaining names. However, I have repeatedly said that I would support whichever nickname was chosen, because my priority is supporting the University rather than a nickname. And I haven't made a single post giving my opinion on any of the remaining nickname choices since the list was finalized, I haven't posted anything about what I think about any of the names. My issue with his constant complaints about Roughriders not being applicable to UND or North Dakota was to point out that the main definition for roughriders is very relevant to the state. So his allegations are not exactly accurate. Remember being accurate? Or have you forgotten that words have actual meanings, not just the meaning that you attribute to it.

• Upvote 3

You are so clueless. I will repeat myself. I have never supported any of the current 5 choices. I ended up voting for Roughriders because I believe it is the most marketable of the remaining names. However, I have repeatedly said that I would support whichever nickname was chosen, because my priority is supporting the University rather than a nickname. And I haven't made a single post giving my opinion on any of the remaining nickname choices since the list was finalized, I haven't posted anything about what I think about any of the names. My issue with his constant complaints about Roughriders not being applicable to UND or North Dakota was to point out that the main definition for roughriders is very relevant to the state. So his allegations are not exactly accurate. Remember being accurate? Or have you forgotten that words have actual meanings, not just the meaning that you attribute to it.

Maybe i got you mixed up with others then, my bad. I've never been in the bashing of RR's, I don't prefer it, I could live with it just fine, just tired of being bashed from the RR or nothing rubes on here! Sorry I lumped you into that crowd, but what you complained about in general is the same crap we have taken on here relentlessly. I bash the bashers, but I have never attacked anyone for just saying they want RR! Ask jub, he has all my posts in a file I'm sure, he could attest to that. Just so you know I have never joined in the RR is a HS name bashing or that Teddy is aa racist crap, not my style...

Here's to UND getting through this shyt ???

• Upvote 1

You must really pay close attention to these threads.:unsure: I have been active in the nickname threads since the NCAA announced their Native American policy. I haven't supported any of the names on the ballot. I ended up voting for Roughriders because I believe it is the most marketable of the remaining 5. It probably would have made my final 15 from the original list, but not even in the top 5. And I have been one of the people that repeatedly said that there would be a group from Grand Forks that wouldn't like Roughriders because of Red River. I have repeatedly said that I will support whichever name is chosen because my support is for the University, not for any individual nickname. I just think you will use talk out of both sides of your mouth to put down the Roughrider name.

You keep trying to make the point that not a lot of North Dakotans were involved with Teddy's Roughriders, so it isn't a good fit for UND. I pointed out that the term roughriders has a strong connection to the state in other ways. You just ignore that option so you can continue to harp on your minor point. And that is beside the fact that the state of North Dakota created their own connection to the images 50 years ago, so people make the connection between North Dakota and Teddy's Roughriders even though the connection isn't real strong historically. Besides, how strong a connection did UND have to Sioux when that name was chosen. Were there even any Sioux tribe members in school in 1930? The Sioux tribe had been forced out of the Red River Valley many years before that. Roughriders probably has just as strong a connection to UND right now as Sioux did in 1930.

You should consider going back and reading the post of mine you originally quoted and responded to.   I stated a fact regarding why the name roughriders is even under consideration, and how it has been pumped up on this site (teddy, teddy, teddy!)  I pointed out that in posts made just before mine, people were seeking to distance the connection to teddy Roosevelt.   As you've just explained, the only connection to north Dakota is via teddy Roosevelt.    thanks for enforcing my point regarding the irony of roughrider supporters now wanting to abandon the teddy Roosevelt connection.  

• Downvote 1

Just so you are not being hypocritical, are you lobbying the ND legislature to remove any Roughriders ties from the tourism and commerce departments, and rename tthe Roughrider award to a NoDak or a Fighting Hawk name?

Didn't think so.

Lol this almost makes sense.  No, wait a minute... it doesn't make any sense at all!  I encourage you to try harder next time.  This could be fun!

• Downvote 1

You can debate whether or not the term Roughrider should be connected with North Dakota in the first place. Thats one thing. But as we currently sit today the term "Roughrider" is heavily in use in/by North Dakota whether you like it or not. And since North Dakota uses it heavily, a lot of people think its a good fit for the flagship. People like Nodaks, because of the "history", but UND's last two nicknames have been the states nickname...That's the real history UND should continue.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 4

Maybe i got you mixed up with others then, my bad. I've never been in the bashing of RR's, I don't prefer it, I could live with it just fine, just tired of being bashed from the RR or nothing rubes on here! Sorry I lumped you into that crowd, but what you complained about in general is the same crap we have taken on here relentlessly. I bash the bashers, but I have never attacked anyone for just saying they want RR! Ask jub, he has all my posts in a file I'm sure, he could attest to that. Just so you know I have never joined in the RR is a HS name bashing or that Teddy is aa racist crap, not my style...

Here's to UND getting through this shyt ??? 

Don't flatter yourself, jim keeps track of those for me (and everyone else).

That being said, I think you're misjudging the "RR" crowd. The majority of people I've talked to will support UND regardless of what the final nickname will be. The only group I've seen that have threatened to quit supporting the University is a faction of the "Fighting Sioux" only crowd who have openly stated to stop cheering and supporting UND (donations).  Some of that crowd has merged into the "no nickname" and now Nodaks crowd. Comments on the Herald's website verify it.  Again just a faction, but it is not a made-up boogeyman.

I've stated multiple times that my preferred nicknames were eliminated long ago. At that point my preference was for UND to pick a nickname that was the most marketable and was the most helpful in distancing themselves from the continued controversy that the Fighting Sioux nickname (unfortunately) caused. In my opinion, Nodaks comes in last in both of those two categories.

Just for fun, in early May I predicted the three finalists to be Roughriders, Stars and Sundogs/Spirit/Flame/inanimate object.  Again, with 60+ left remaining none of those were in my top 3 but it is how I saw everything playing out.

Yeah, imagine a Brien-style serious cowboy face as a logo (I'm essentially picturing the Sioux head, but a cowboy). I think I could really like that. To be fair, that could also work for Nodaks.

Been thinking of that for a while and think it could work, and completely agree that could work for Nodaks too.  In fact, I think it's a pretty good way to go

Someone take the Sioux logo and make up a modified logo to represent Roughriders.  Remove the feathers and replace them with a cowboy hat, lighten up the skin, change the hair color, etc.  I am sure there are some creative people out there that can do that!! Curious to see what that would look like!!

calling Bennett Brien

Edited by dagies

You should consider going back and reading the post of mine you originally quoted and responded to.   I stated a fact regarding why the name roughriders is even under consideration, and how it has been pumped up on this site (teddy, teddy, teddy!)  I pointed out that in posts made just before mine, people were seeking to distance the connection to teddy Roosevelt.   As you've just explained, the only connection to north Dakota is via teddy Roosevelt.    thanks for enforcing my point regarding the irony of roughrider supporters now wanting to abandon the teddy Roosevelt connection.  

You have posted the same "fact" multiple times. That "fact" doesn't recognize the fact that North Dakota and Teddy Roosevelt have a real connection, a connection that Roosevelt himself noted many times. It doesn't recognize the fact that the state of North Dakota has used the Roughrider name and story along with the mutual connection to Teddy to create an image used to promote the state. Roughrider State is a generally recognized nickname for the state. As a recognized nickname for the state, it can be used as a nickname for the University as is done in approximately 20 other states across the country. And your "fact" doesn't recognize the definition I noted earlier where roughrider means someone who rides or breaks wild horses. Thousands of North Dakota residents throughout history have been roughriders, including many of my relatives. This also makes Roughriders a suitable nickname for UND. So your "fact" is a minor issue at most and nothing that would preclude the University from using the name. Especially when so many sports nicknames have absolutely no connection to the school or state. Besides, I don't remember any place on the ballot where anyone had to justify their vote, or give a reason for that vote. They only had to pick a name.

• Upvote 4

So, are we now saying that those that support Nodaks do not support the University? Have not read that posted anywhere that I can remember. I know some that voted for Nodaks and to say they do not support the University as a whole can not be further from the truth. 

Again, this division crap is such a joke. We all support the University of North Dakota or we wouldn't be on here. Well, except for the people that post here that are fans of other schools. Hopefully after the new nickname is in place the University can get past this. 

• Upvote 2

You must really pay close attention to these threads.:unsure: I have been active in the nickname threads since the NCAA announced their Native American policy. I haven't supported any of the names on the ballot. I ended up voting for Roughriders because I believe it is the most marketable of the remaining 5. It probably would have made my final 15 from the original list, but not even in the top 5. And I have been one of the people that repeatedly said that there would be a group from Grand Forks that wouldn't like Roughriders because of Red River. I have repeatedly said that I will support whichever name is chosen because my support is for the University, not for any individual nickname. I just think you will use talk out of both sides of your mouth to put down the Roughrider name.

You keep trying to make the point that not a lot of North Dakotans were involved with Teddy's Roughriders, so it isn't a good fit for UND. I pointed out that the term roughriders has a strong connection to the state in other ways. You just ignore that option so you can continue to harp on your minor point. And that is beside the fact that the state of North Dakota created their own connection to the images 50 years ago, so people make the connection between North Dakota and Teddy's Roughriders even though the connection isn't real strong historically. Besides, how strong a connection did UND have to Sioux when that name was chosen. Were there even any Sioux tribe members in school in 1930? The Sioux tribe had been forced out of the Red River Valley many years before that. Roughriders probably has just as strong a connection to UND right now as Sioux did in 1930.

I didn't vote for RR and think it's a silly choice given the local high school uses it (which I have obviously noted several times and that is my personal opinion).  However you make a lot of good points, not enough to sway me , but strong points.

I didn't vote for RR and think it's a silly choice given the local high school uses it (which I have obviously noted several times and that is my personal opinion).  However you make a lot of good points, not enough to sway me , but strong points.

I have said all along that there would be a group from Grand Forks that would not like having UND choose Roughriders because Red River is already using it. Some are Red River supporters that don't want their name taken, and some are Central supporters that don't like the name because their rival uses it. Both are valid reasons for them. I don't have strong attachments to either high school, so I picked the name that I felt was best for UND.

It amazes me how people are constantly talking about connection.  Lewis and Clark were here, and really everywhere across the west, for a very short period of time, but there are towns, lakes, schools, roads, etc. named in just about every state they traveled through after them.  Just a tourism play?  Yeah, perhaps in some circumstances, but it is an homage to their place in history. 

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1

To me the GFRRHS issue is a non-issue.

For many years in the Canadian Football League (same league!) there were the Rough Riders (Ottawa) and the Roughriders (Saskatchewan).

If Canadians could manage that, folks in Grand Forks can manage UND being called "Roughriders". 

• Upvote 3

For many years in the Canadian Football League (same league!) there were the Rough Riders (Ottawa) and the Roughriders (Saskatchewan).

If Canadians could manage that, folks in Grand Forks can manage UND being called "Roughriders". 

Sure, we can handle anything but this is a matter of opinion. I graduated from RRHS and I don't think the nickname is the best fit for UND. It doesn't matter if I can handle it, I would just prefer it not be the nickname. That's my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Was Teddy Roosevelt from Canada?

You have posted the same "fact" multiple times. That "fact" doesn't recognize the fact that North Dakota and Teddy Roosevelt have a real connection, a connection that Roosevelt himself noted many times. It doesn't recognize the fact that the state of North Dakota has used the Roughrider name and story along with the mutual connection to Teddy to create an image used to promote the state. Roughrider State is a generally recognized nickname for the state. As a recognized nickname for the state, it can be used as a nickname for the University as is done in approximately 20 other states across the country. And your "fact" doesn't recognize the definition I noted earlier where roughrider means someone who rides or breaks wild horses. Thousands of North Dakota residents throughout history have been roughriders, including many of my relatives. This also makes Roughriders a suitable nickname for UND. So your "fact" is a minor issue at most and nothing that would preclude the University from using the name. Especially when so many sports nicknames have absolutely no connection to the school or state. Besides, I don't remember any place on the ballot where anyone had to justify their vote, or give a reason for that vote. They only had to pick a name.

so, remind me again why you originally, and continue to, quote my posts and view my facts and opinions as wrong?    i'm tired of the roughrider crowd wearing blinders and tearing to shreds every other name, and yet feel offended by those that disagree with them. 

And btw, my facts, as stated, are uncontested.   Your thoughts on roughriders being people who break horses is valid as well.  that wasn't my point, so I didn't address it in my original post before you even started talking to me.  I feel (again, a differing opinion)  <gasp>  the act of breaking horses is nothing original or unique to north Dakota.  Every location on earth that has utilized horses, broke them.    At the risk of repeating myself again and again, I also feel the choice roughriders has moved forward solely because of the Teddy Roosevelt connection.  Again, as I stated originally, if roughriders is chosen I expect full on teddy usage to make this unique, or I will be disappointed.  Two big R's ,or a generic cowboy on a horse, is about as stale and unoriginal of a logo as we could end up with.       

I get this, but folks can manage a lot of things, Sic.  They can manage a root canal or barium enema procedure, the death of a family pet, an Ebola outbreak, Nicolas Cage's acting, a Gopher NCAA title celebration, and so on.  These things can be managed, if not tolerated.

It's not for one to "manage" a nickname.  It's to like it or not like it or just not care.  I'm finding that I mostly don't care anymore, which is the intent of the NCAA all along, but I certainly can state I do not like Roughriders.  I guess I care about that name in that I care that it does not become the nickname for UND.  But, if it does, then I will not really care all that much anyway and still cheer for UND.

taz cares.  or not.

The Missoulian calls us the NoDaks in an article today.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/freshman-rb-the-catalyst-for-north-dakota-s-offense/article_a4c9e588-49ff-53da-8d22-60304beeb528.html

The NoDaks are averaging 189.3 yards rushing per game, 107.7 of that from Santiago alone, who is about 100 yards short of Garman's team-leading total from 2014.

Before anybody gets excited about Ben stepping up and creating another masterpiece logo I wonder if he is even interested. Where does he stand on the nickname issue - is he angry that UND is retiring it or is he glad that the name is gone and wasn't the reason he was even interested in making the Sioux logo because of his native american heritage (and wasn't it Ralph that paid for the logo)? He might not be interested in creating a logo for a roughrider or Nodak. Plus knowing what a lightning rod anything new is going to be he might not want to deal with the hostility.