SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

I wonder how Patty V. and the rest of the MVFC felt when NDSU called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

I wonder how Tom D. and the rest of the Summit felt when NDSU called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

I wonder how Doug F. and the rest of the Big Sky felt when UND called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

I wonder how Patty V. and the rest of the MVFC felt when NDSU called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

I wonder how Tom D. and the rest of the Summit felt when NDSU called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

I wonder how Doug F. and the rest of the Big Sky felt when UND called and told them they were doing this before they announced it. 

The first 2 even happen? 

I wonder how Patty V. and the rest of the MVFC felt when they read about the announcement after it was made

I wonder how Tom D. and the rest of the Summit felt when they read about the announcement after it was made

Fixed your first two for accuracy's sake.  As for your third, I don't think it has that big of an effect.  The rest of the Big Sky is mainly competing against each other and minimally against PAC-12 and MWC, who they weren't typically winning battles against anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He is a Montana State guy after all. A lot of us weren't exactly thrilled when NDSU offered this.

I do like his website as he does a good job covering the Big Sky.

I hadn't heard about them until someone linked it. But looked pretty good. Read a few things. I don't blame NDSU and I am glad that UND followed suit. 

UND is number 107 on this list.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

Faison just called a 10:00 AM press conference fot tomorrow to announce the hiring of a new Director of Football Recruiting position.

You can bet part of the new SU "Director of Football Recruiting" will include conducting background checks. Can bail money be included in COA? 

• Upvote 4

You're surprised the extra costs to attend school in two North Dakota cities separated by 75 miles are the same? 

... a full amended grant-in-aid at UND is based on the total cost of mandatory fees and tuition (online tuition not included), room (as determined by UND for double occupancy), board (based on the “Unlimited Meal Plus Plan” rate) and books (as determined by the NCAA), plus personal expenses (including transportation) as outlined by the Student Financial Aid Office for athletes.

Edited by The Sicatoka

Who would have thunk? Nobody knew the figure of FCOA at UND before NDSU announced theirs, and it just so happens to be exactly the same as NDSU's. That is quite a coincidence.

Really?  That's pretty strange since UND announced in April that they would be paying it to M/W hockey players this year and are actually already making the payments.

Well at least we know that Faison offered the courtesy of letting others in the conference know about UND's plans

Faison informed Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton of the decision Tuesday and told the head coaches in the athletic department Wednesday afternoon. He also sent a note to the Big Sky athletic directors prior to the public announcement.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall Kolpack having anything similar in his articles about NDSU.  Wonder why?

• Downvote 1

Who would have thunk? Nobody knew the figure of FCOA at UND before NDSU announced theirs, and it just so happens to be exactly the same as NDSU's. That is quite a coincidence.

If you read about the announcement, Faison explained that the FCOA is different for every individual. The $3,400 thrown out for UND is just a rough estimate for what it would cost per person this year if they were doing it for all scholarships this year. It will change each year for each individual. They aren't giving a straight $3,400 to every scholarship athlete. An athlete from Grand Forks, for example, won't get as much as someone from Eugene, OR because a portion of the money is supposed to cover some travel expenses home. So it probably isn't a big surprise if the 2 schools have similar numbers as long as they are recruiting similar athletes (from the same areas, etc.).

If you read about the announcement, Faison explained that the FCOA is different for every individual. The $3,400 thrown out for UND is just a rough estimate for what it would cost per person this year if they were doing it for all scholarships this year. It will change each year for each individual. They aren't giving a straight $3,400 to every scholarship athlete. An athlete from Grand Forks, for example, won't get as much as someone from Eugene, OR because a portion of the money is supposed to cover some travel expenses home. So it probably isn't a big surprise if the 2 schools have similar numbers as long as they are recruiting similar athletes (from the same areas, etc.).

FCOA is based on the scholarship level of the athlete. If hes on a full ride he gets Full-COA. If hes on a 1/2 scholarship he gets half. The money can be used for travel but doesn't have to be used for that purpose. Its up to the athlete to budget the extra money for travel, extra eats etc.

Edited by bison73

FCOA is based on the scholarship level of the athlete. If hes on a full ride he gets Full-COA. If hes on a 1/2 scholarship he gets half. The money can be used for travel but doesn't have to be used for that purpose. Its up to the athlete to budget the extra money for travel, extra eats etc.

According to many sources, the actual FCOA is not just 1 number, it depends on different factors. They use the same line items, but the actual numbers will be different for different students. The travel item is the most obvious. The school will decide what travel will be included in determining the FCOA. For example, they might decide to include travel to school at the beginning of the semester, travel home at the end of the semester, and maybe 1 trip home during the semester. Or maybe they will include money for a trip home in case of an emergency. That doesn't mean these are the things the student has to spend the money on, those are the things that they use to figure an amount. Student A lives in Grand Forks. A trip home is a 5 mile drive. Student B is from Eugene, OR. A trip home involves either driving or flying close to 2,000 miles. The students have different amounts allocated for FCOA. From there they determine if the scholarship will give them 100% or less of the figured amount. The amounts quoted for each school are the expected average cost for each individual when all individuals are added together.

Here is one example, http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/acc-coaches-worry-cost-of-attendance-payments-could-make-playing/article_1c97fb70-f6a3-11e4-b9c8-b37e131ec4c4.html

Schools must submit two cost-of-attendance numbers to the NCAA before the fall: one for in-state students and one for out-of-state students.

At the University of Virginia, in-state students on full scholarships will receive an added $3,180 for the upcoming school year to cover the full cost of attendance. Out-of-state students are eligible for up to $4,450, depending on where they live.

Students on partial scholarships will receive an equivalent percentage of cost-of-attendance funding. For example, a swimmer on a half-scholarship would receive half the amount of cost-of-attendance money.

At Virginia Tech, in-state student-athletes on full scholarships will receive $3,280 for the upcoming school year. Out-of-state students at Tech will get $3,620.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from an article talking about the SEC, http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25199127/sec-coaches-are-increasingly-skeptical-of-cost-of-attendance-figures

Auburn has one of the SEC's highest cost-of attendance averages at $5,586. However, even that figure is not a one-size, fits-all calculation and can vary based on whether the student is in-state or out-of-state and whether there are other personal needs provided to the financial aid office, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said.

“If you live in Birmingham and I live in Auburn, if I go through the financial aid process, my number could be lower than yours because I live closer to Auburn,” Jacobs said. “But if I have a child, then my child care could increase and you may not. Ours is an average number so it could fluctuate.”

According to many sources, the actual FCOA is not just 1 number, it depends on different factors. They use the same line items, but the actual numbers will be different for different students. The travel item is the most obvious. The school will decide what travel will be included in determining the FCOA. For example, they might decide to include travel to school at the beginning of the semester, travel home at the end of the semester, and maybe 1 trip home during the semester. Or maybe they will include money for a trip home in case of an emergency. That doesn't mean these are the things the student has to spend the money on, those are the things that they use to figure an amount. Student A lives in Grand Forks. A trip home is a 5 mile drive. Student B is from Eugene, OR. A trip home involves either driving or flying close to 2,000 miles. The students have different amounts allocated for FCOA. From there they determine if the scholarship will give them 100% or less of the figured amount. The amounts quoted for each school are the expected average cost for each individual when all individuals are added together.

Here is one example, http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/acc-coaches-worry-cost-of-attendance-payments-could-make-playing/article_1c97fb70-f6a3-11e4-b9c8-b37e131ec4c4.html

Here are a couple of paragraphs from an article talking about the SEC, http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25199127/sec-coaches-are-increasingly-skeptical-of-cost-of-attendance-figures

I don't think you will see that many variables. The cost of attendance is already known by every school. They will set a certain amount for each school. Then it all going to be proportional to the amount of the athletes scholarship.

Edited by bison73

I don't think you will see that many variables. The cost of attendance is already known by every school. They will set a certain amount for each school. Then it all going to be proportional to the amount of the athletes scholarship.

Typical bizon blowhard troll.  When confronted with evidence to the contrary to his views, he dismisses it as garbage.  High IQ there bud.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1