SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

Let's be honest, Womens hockey is probably not going anywhere. Yes it is a massive money pit for the University, but it is a nationally recognized program in a hockey crazy town. I would still like to see Womens soccer cut, but it may very well be the Mens and Womens swimming and diving programs. They effecitively cancel eachother out for title IX issues, and it is a program that a lot of schools in the upper midwest dont offer.

Will be interesting to see what they do

Not advocating it, but just throwing it out there.....

Sports sponsored by the Summit League:

Men's

MBB

Baseball

Cross Country

Golf

Indoor/Outdoor Track and Field

Tennis

Swimming and Diving

Women's

WBB

Volleyball

Softball

Soccer

Cross Country

Golf 

Tennis

Swimming and Diving

UND Sports not sponsored

M Hockey (NCHC)

W Hockey (WCHA)

Football (Big Sky affiliate or MVFC?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all of the sports sponsored by the Summit are actually required core sports, correct?  I think softball would be the only non-required one in the Big Sky off the top of my head.

Men's

MBB

Baseball

Cross Country

Golf

Tennis

Swimming and Diving

Women's

WBB

Volleyball

Softball

Soccer

Cross Country

Golf 

Tennis

Swimming and Diving

UND Sports not sponsored

M Hockey (NCHC)

W Hockey (WCHA)

Football (Big Sky affiliate or MVFC?)

We are not switching to a lower level conference because of this. It will come from a couple sports being discontinued( which probably should have happened regardless) and donations from alumni which they probably have in hand before this announcement was ever made. I am surprised they were able to secure funding so fast but am thrilled that they are going to be a leader in this and not fall further behind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all of the sports sponsored by the Summit are actually required core sports, correct?  I think softball would be the only non-required one in the Big Sky off the top of my head.

They are NOT all required by the conference, no.

We are not switching to a lower level conference because of this. It will come from a couple sports being discontinued( which probably should have happened regardless) and donations from alumni which they probably have in hand before this announcement was ever made. I am surprised they were able to secure funding so fast but am thrilled that they are going to be a leader in this and not fall further behind.

I'd prefer to stay Big Sky as well.  Only reason I mention it is SFI pointed out reducing travel costs may be an option.  Reducing travel costs may prove difficult in the BSC.

I'd prefer to stay Big Sky as well.  Only reason I mention it is SFI pointed out reducing travel costs may be an option.  Reducing travel costs may prove difficult in the BSC.

That just proves as backwards thinking and not something Faison would do. I mean why offer this new incentive and be a leader with this just to drop to a lower conference. Maybe he is truly thinking of dropping womens hockey.

Champion Club increases will be the #1 funding source.  

The Midco contract is up after the 2016-2017 season and it pays $250,000 next year which is the max of the 5 year deal.  What does the next TV contract look like?  How much money is generated from that deal?

I believe swimming & diving will be the first sport on the chopping block. No offense to these athletes but I can't imagine thee sport brings a lot to the university. 

As someone pointed out above you dont have to worry much about title 9 here because both men and women will be cut. The pool is also aging and would need a lot of money to upgrade or build new.

• Upvote 2

I believe swimming & diving will be the first sport on the chopping block. No offense to these athletes but I can't imagine thee sport brings a lot to the university. 

As someone pointed out above you dont have to worry much about title 9 here because both men and women will be cut. The pool is also aging and would need a lot of money to upgrade or build new.

If I were betting/guessing I'd say this is a pretty good take. 

I could see the possibility of Men's Swimming being on the block, while Women's stays.  Again, I'm just thinking it will be tough to get to the ratio needed for Title IX complicity, by cutting any women's sports.  Football, as much has been discussed still counts 100%, that I'm aware of or maybe not. (I may need correction or direction on this).  So the only way to get to where they need to go, if they are indeed looking at sports needing to be reduced is on the men's side of things.

I could see the possibility of Men's Swimming being on the block, while Women's stays.  Again, I'm just thinking it will be tough to get to the ratio needed for Title IX complicity, by cutting any women's sports.  Football, as much has been discussed still counts 100%, that I'm aware of or maybe not. (I may need correction or direction on this).  So the only way to get to where they need to go, if they are indeed looking at sports needing to be reduced is on the men's side of things.

I was under the impression UND currently spends substantially more on women's sports than it needs to for title 9.  That UND has a higher male population, but allocates more funding to women's sports.

• Upvote 1

I don't know the exact Title IX position UND is in, but scholarship wise, but from what I can tell, UND offered 5 men's S&D scholarships and 11.82 on the women's side.  Baseball was at 6.34 and women's hockey was at 18.

Ballpark, the S&D teams operating expenses were $314K for men and $452K for women (though I think that includes scholarship costs). Total of $766K.
Baseball was around $513K.
Women's hockey was a lot...

Take these with a  grain of salt as they are not all "real" costs as far as I can tell so cutting them doesn't mean that there would be an actual dollar to go towards something else. That being said, there is some merit to them.

• Upvote 1