SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If "Beyond the Pond" is going to be a show 100% about the "State of Hockey", then just have it on the local flagship station and let the affiliates run something else.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am aware of those things as well. But Rodent boy should understand that he won't find a friendly audience for his viewpoints on a UND Discussion Forum. And there will be push-back. And that is what I was doing. Any questions?

That isn't what it looks like with your posts.

10 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

That isn't what it looks like with your posts.

Just remember that some posters expect UND to be mentioned in every show, whether it's in Fargo or Minneapolis.  If they're talking about college sports in the region, they have to mention UND or else it's a failure on UND's part to get exposure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Just remember that some posters expect UND to be mentioned in every show, whether it's in Fargo or Minneapolis.  If they're talking about college sports in the region, they have to mention UND or else it's a failure on UND's part to get exposure.

Beyond the Pond not talking about the Frozen Four because the Gophers aren't in it is like KFAN not talking about the Final Four because the Gophers aren't in it. If they want to cater to the Gophers most of the time, fine, go ahead. But to not talk about a major postseason college tournament because the home town team isn't in it is a little ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Beyond the Pond not talking about the Frozen Four because the Gophers aren't in it is like KFAN not talking about the Final Four because the Gophers aren't in it. If they want to cater to the Gophers most of the time, fine, go ahead. But to not talk about a major postseason college tournament because the home town team isn't in it is a little ridiculous.

No it isn't, not even close. I get the point you are trying to make, and I agree the lack of Frozen Four talk is a little strange, but there is zero comparison in those two tournaments, they aren't even in the same universe.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

The first statement from the Gopher fan was -  "You have to remember that no one in MN would want to listen to that."

The response was that there are a lot of hockey fans in general and Sioux fans in particular in MN that would have interest in that.  I don't expect every show to talk about UND but to say that nobody would be interested isn't true and that is what we were reacting to.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

KFAN is a MInneapolis radio station. They are going to cater to a Minneapolis-St. Paul audience, which means a University of Minnesota audience. The Gophers are the center of the local audience that KFAN caters to, so expecting them to do something different is short sighted at best. KFAN affiliates are just along for the ride because it would be very difficult from a financial standpoint to set up completely local radio stations in any of the affiliate cities.

+1. This was the point I was trying to make. 

The point isn't that they should talk about UND, it's that they should have talked about college hockey and especially how the regional teams did, with an emphasis on the MN teams.  It's a two-hour show about hockey, and it usually covers high school, college and the NHL.  The high school season is over.  That's a lot of time, with a short list of topics. 

I'm just glad this came up here, because I was going to track down the podcast to hear what they had to say about the NCAA tournament.  Now I don't have to bother.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jk said:

The point isn't that they should talk about UND, it's that they should have talked about college hockey and especially how the regional teams did, with an emphasis on the MN teams.  It's a two-hour show about hockey, and it usually covers high school, college and the NHL.  The high school season is over.  That's a lot of time, with a short list of topics. 

I'm just glad this came up here, because I was going to track down the podcast to hear what they had to say about the NCAA tournament.  Now I don't have to bother.  Thanks!

I can agree with this statement.

50 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

"You have to remember that no one in MN would want to listen to that."

That will elicit a response on this forum and that is trolling.

You clearly don't understand the point that statement is making. The point of the statement is that only a small minority of the people in MN are UND or hardcore college hockey fans. If you think that is trolling, you haven't been on the internet long.

• Downvote 2

On a totally different subject, it will be interesting to see who applies at Nebraska Omaha.    

Given Blais' age, and the lack of an heir apparent coaching elsewhere who would come "home", I think a lot of the NCHC/WCHA/Big Ten assistants have this job on the radar, as a stepping stone to a high-profile head coaching job in a couple years.

Any buzz? 

22 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

Yea. Personally - I'm not so sure thats the best thing for them in the long run. Rumor I heard thrown around is that they wanted Mel Pearson but he either wasn't able or willing to move so Red is around another year. 

I think Red's return signals something else.  More particularly, I think it could very well mean we're going to see Connor, Motte and Compher back.

18 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I think Red's return signals something else.  More particularly, I think it could very well mean we're going to see Connor, Motte and Compher back.

Maybe he wants to be the first active coach to reach 130 years old.:D

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I am thinking one or two of those three are gone.
Motte and Compher are both drafted juniors and Connor put up Eichel-like points (although in a much easier league).

7 hours ago, farce poobah said:

On a totally different subject, it will be interesting to see who applies at Nebraska Omaha.    

Given Blais' age, and the lack of an heir apparent coaching elsewhere who would come "home", I think a lot of the NCHC/WCHA/Big Ten assistants have this job on the radar, as a stepping stone to a high-profile head coaching job in a couple years.

Any buzz? 

Not buzz, but I would wager Omaha Lancers coach/gm Brian Kaufman is applying.  Up and coming college coach, captained Miami the year they blew it against BU in the final.  Hill Murray alum (boo).  21 year old walk on (presumably) barely getting ice as a freshman to captain as a senior shows character.  Coached in the USHL prospects/all star game or something like that.  Remember his name for a decade from now, he'll be in the NCAA somewhere.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Any buzz? 

With Berry doing so well this year, gfhockey moved down to Omaha to start a "Fire Blais" movement, so they better get someone ready quick. And gf finally has something to go on, with UNO's complete collapse when the games counted. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

No it isn't, not even close. I get the point you are trying to make, and I agree the lack of Frozen Four talk is a little strange, but there is zero comparison in those two tournaments, they aren't even in the same universe.

But it should be, you're talking the so-called, self-proclaimed "State of Hockey"--cripes!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I was thinking that too...especially with a clear path to the head coach role not too far off in the distance

He crossed my mind as well.  But given his recent success as a USHL head coach, I wasn't sure if he'd be willing to step back down to 'assistant' just to bide his time for the possibility of a college head coach spot.