SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

51 minutes ago, tnt said:

Were the 49-22 shots for St. Cloud totally not reflective of the game?

Not really ... St Cloud got a lot of shots in the first period,but not much for real good chances.  CC dominated scoring chances in the second, got up 5-1 and pretty much defended in the third.  Most of St Clouds SOG advantage came in the 3rd period (20-3).

Like others, I still think the title comes down to SCSU vs UND, but its nice to be even on points with 2 games in hand.

Good night for hockey results!

UND win.
DU sweeps UNO.
WMU tie (win) against Golden Domers.
The unthinkable with CC dropping SCSU and helping us in the NCHC standings.

Good game between QU and Harvard tonight too.  QU got out to a 4-0 lead in the 1st (including 3 goals in 36 sec) only to have Harvard claw back and tie it in the 3rd.  Then QU won in OT.

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I was trolling over on the St. Cloud fan forum and they're all standing on the ledge about to jump. Complete and utter dis-belief that their boys lost to lowly CC.

Sports fans can be the most insecure, needy people on the planet, I think.   Ever read a Blackhawks game thread on HF Boards?      

14 hours ago, sprig said:

5-1 CC in the third. Denver up on Omaha 2-0

That was part of my plan. I used  reverse psychology.  :) I just didn't it would actually work. I went to bed last night with a smile on my face. UNO swept and C.C. did UND a solid.

14 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

you wanna retract this yet? ;)

So...as a mankato fan, I don't get to see much of the NCHC other than the series against UNO earlier this season. I'm just curious about the style of play that is being used right now in the WCHA, and I suspect college hockey in general. It's been bothering me all year, but the clutching, grabbing and interference was painful to watch this last weekend. The league has something like 15 1-1 ties this year.

I know a few years ago that it was a "poin of emphasis" to try to eliminate the obstruction/interference penalties, but it seems as bad if not worse than its ever been.

Is this a league by league thing or is it happening everywhere?

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wow, Goofers are up to #7 in the USCHO polls this week!

..... oh that 7 isn't their ranking, just the number of votes they received? oh, sorry gopher fans. What the hell has happened you you guys? hahahah :lol:

Funny you should ask... This article just came out this morning. Great read :D

http://www.citypages.com/news/what-happened-to-the-university-of-minnesota-hockey-program-7960026

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Westside said:

Funny you should ask... This article just came out this morning. Great read :D

http://www.citypages.com/news/what-happened-to-the-university-of-minnesota-hockey-program-7960026

Good read. It really is sad to see what is happening there. I grew up a huge gopher fan, until I got to college. Not a fan of them now; but to see a program that was so highly touted fall to what they have become over the past few season is a shame. I would say the same thing if it happened to Michigan, BC, BU, etc.

I think NHL scout quote, that you have a coach living of past accomplishments is very true. Lucia was a really good coach at one time. I think his style and game has gotten very stale over the past several year. He seems to recruit talent, but can't do much with it. He doesn't get his players to play gritty. We always hear our players by into the "sioux hockey" mentality. You just don't seem to get that from the guys in MN; at least not to the degree that you did in the past.

Big 10 was also a huge downfall, though I'm not sure why. MN gets plenty of talent, and seems to play lesser competition that they did in the WCHA, but still can't seem to win consistently.

As much as I always want to beat the gophers, I hope they get their program back on track, because its much more fun to have a rivalry game against good competition that a program on a downward spiral.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Great quote from this article:

"If a kid is going to Minnesota," says one NHL scout, "concerns are openly discussed in our rooms about how it might affect his development. If one of our players is heading to say, North Dakota or UMD or [Nebraska-Omaha], we are comfortable with them going to any of those places."

So basically if you want to play in the NHL, play in the NCHC.  If you are OK with playing Tuesday night games in front of half empty arenas on the Big 10 network, play for the Big 10!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Good read. It really is sad to see what is happening there. I grew up a huge gopher fan, until I got to college. Not a fan of them now; but to see a program that was so highly touted fall to what they have become over the past few season is a shame. I would say the same thing if it happened to Michigan, BC, BU, etc.

I think NHL scout quote, that you have a coach living of past accomplishments is very true. Lucia was a really good coach at one time. I think his style and game has gotten very stale over the past several year. He seems to recruit talent, but can't do much with it. He doesn't get his players to play gritty. We always hear our players by into the "sioux hockey" mentality. You just don't seem to get that from the guys in MN; at least not to the degree that you did in the past.

Big 10 was also a huge downfall, though I'm not sure why. MN gets plenty of talent, and seems to play lesser competition that they did in the WCHA, but still can't seem to win consistently.

As much as I always want to beat the gophers, I hope they get their program back on track, because its much more fun to have a rivalry game against good competition that a program on a downward spiral.

They were in the National Championship game a few years ago and made the tournament and lost to a good Duluth team last year.  They had much worse years before Guentzel came back.  They are a pretty young team, and have played decent teams pretty well lately.  True, we have a young team too, but if we had the same record we would be saying this is the time of year we come around.  Be careful how bad you say they are, as if we lose who we probably lose at the end of this year, there is a chance we will find out next year that their demise is much exaggerated.  The fact that we have been the exception to the rule thus far doesn't mean it can't or won't happen at some point.  There will come a time when making the NCAA tournament isn't a sure bet for us either.  Just look at some of the teams on the bubble year in and year out.  Providence turned out to be the best and they were the last team in.  

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

They were in the National Championship game a few years ago and made the tournament and lost to a good Duluth team last year.  They had much worse years before Guentzel came back.  They are a pretty young team, and have played decent teams pretty well lately.  True, we have a young team too, but if we had the same record we would be saying this is the time of year we come around.  Be careful how bad you say they are, as if we lose who we probably lose at the end of this year, there is a chance we will find out next year that their demise is much exaggerated.  The fact that we have been the exception to the rule thus far doesn't mean it can't or won't happen at some point.  There will come a time when making the NCAA tournament isn't a sure bet for us either.  Just look at some of the teams on the bubble year in and year out.  Providence turned out to be the best and they were the last team in.  

I need to clarify......when I said I didn't know things were this bad, I was referring to the perceptions of the ex Gopher hockey players.

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

I understand that they are young, and by no means am I saying they won't be good again, or that we will always be dominant. But there are some major problems going on with the U of M right now, problems that extend beyond just hockey. Not good for a program like this to be questioned about their development of players by NHL scouts.

I realize they aren't that far removed from the championship game, but they have had plenty of down years over the last decade. A program like that should not miss the NCAA tourney as many times as they have. You may have a fluke year during a rebuild, but this has happened far too many times. Yeah they ran into a tough UMD team last year, but as I recall they didn't even compete.

Someone needs to be held accountable, and I think it is time the U looks beyond Don Lucia. 

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

While we may have a down year coming up fast, our administration is hockey first as far as athletics go and world never allow a fall from grace of this caliber. 

Can't feel the slightest bit bad for such a fairweather, entitled and conceited fanbase.  Let em rot.

Hard to say we will have a down year though. Yes, we will lose some players after this year, but we really don't know how many, or who.

Seniors obviously. Ladue maybe. Maybe a few others. But we have seen this in the past. We also have a top 10 draft pick coming in to add to the scoring. Our defensive system has been very strong, and I don't see that system changing.

Lets not forget that goalie situation we were all concerned about at the beginning of the season. That seems to be pretty sound, and with young talent.

Next year may be a little more of a test for Berry with some of players he is losing, but this year's team is a younger team, and is doing just fine.