SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

" Nick Schmaltz (forward, 19, 1st round in 2014) had a mixed week. He had moments where he shined and displayed his quick hands and immense offensive skill. There were other moments where he disappeared. He didn’t create many offensive opportunities in the scrimmages. Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman and others from the organization spoke highly of Schmaltz’s play throughout the week, but Schmaltz was also described as “having a long ways to go.” He will be a sophomore at North Dakota next year."

--Scott Powers, ESPN Chicago blog

Despite it being an ESPN affiliation, the Blackhawks blog on there is top notch.

From the same article....

"Luke Johnson (forward, 20, 5th round in 2013) just never stops working and was active throughout the camp."

• 2 weeks later...

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100716

Having a hard time not being overly giddy and trying to temper expectations when I see a clap-bomb, one-T Boeser brings for his third goal. I can't recall a better potential finisher as a freshman coming into our program. Anyone?

we usually have one guy thats coming in that seems to be highly talked about but then leaves early or never really reaches that potential, meaning a game changer. I think Rocco couldv been that guy had he stayed. hopefully Boeser changes that

Alright-

Top 6:  LJ, Jewels, Schmaltz, Boesser, Wilkie, Gersich

For sure in lineup bottom 6:  St Clair, Chyzyk, Pogo (love this as a third line btw- dominant 3rd line- (even hockey against a first line, plus against all others)

Rest of bottom 6:  up for grabs- Olson and Simo have a track record.  Rhett and the Fin have good cred/potential

D corps is legit:

For sure every day:  LaDue, Stecher, Ausmus, Poolman, Thompson

Alright-

For sure in lineup bottom 6:  St Clair, Chyzyk, Pogo (love this as a third line btw- dominant 3rd line- (even hockey against a first line, plus against all others)

Rest of bottom 6:  up for grabs- Olson and Simo have a track record.  Rhett and the Fin have good cred/potential

D corps is legit:

LJ needs to stop taking stupid penalties and put a couple more pucks in the net, otherwise i'd say you could switch him and Chyzyk in top 6. I love when Chyzyk rushes the net, good things happen when he does it! 

GO SIOUX!!!

LJ needs to stop taking stupid penalties and put a couple more pucks in the net, otherwise i'd say you could switch him and Chyzyk in top 6. I love when Chyzyk rushes the net, good things happen when he does it! 

GO SIOUX!!!

As long as the Johnson that was playing in March and April shows up this fall, he can take a stupid penalty here and there as far as I'm concerned. Kid was an absolute beast to finish the season.

• Upvote 4

Alright-

D corps is legit:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pogo gets a chance to play top six minutes.

I agree Pogo plays top 6. Wilkie should play a lot of minutes and I think he'd provide a decent scoring threat to a third line with Chyzyk and St. Clair. My 2 cents anyway

I think UND could have a really talented offense this season.

I hope they win a Natty this season because i think they're gonna loose more then half the team for the 2016-2017 season

More than half? Are you sure lol?

4 Seniors....  Drake, Chyz, Saint, Sanderson

I could only come up with 7 POTENTIAL players that would leave. Some may stay.... Schmaltz, LaDue, LJ (I think he stays), Pooly (I think he stays), Boeser (stays), Keaton and Stecher....

We have 26 players. This is at most 10 players gone. Not a chance we lose that many.

That being said, we will lose some and they will be significant losses.

Edited by stoneySIOUX

More than half? Are you sure lol?

4 Seniors....  Drake, Chyz, Saint, Sanderson

I could only come up with 6 POTENTIAL players that would leave. Some may stay.... Schmaltz, LJ (I think he stays), Pooly (I think he stays), Boeser (stays), Keaton and Stecher....

We have 26 players. This is at most 10 players gone. Not a chance we lose that many.

That being said, we will lose some and they will be significant losses.

LaDue is almost 100% to leave. He was very close to leaving this year.