SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

So a freshman coming with zero collegiate goals will replace Murphy on the roster..........who also had zero collegiate goals.  

Don't see what all the fuss is about here by some with his departure.

I agree with you, Oxbow... But, I think it's all about that dreaded, four-letter word that we all seem to see from him down the stretch... potential.

I wish him well, but not worried about losing him.

Trying to bring this out of the "math with numbers is hard!" weeds, let's go back to: 

Since the "Guess the Roster" game is closed since Zane left, I'll put my final guess as to what the roster will look like here:

Out (3 defensemen): Mattson, Panzarella, J Schmaltz

In (3 defensemen): Chartrand, Wolanin, Shaw

Out (1 goalie): MacIntyre

In (1 goalie): Tomek

Out (6 forwards): Pattyn, Gaarder, Parks, MacMillian, O'Donnell, Murphy

In (6 forwards): Gornall, Janatuinen, Gardner, Gersich, Wilkie, Boeser

That would make 10 freshmen on a 26 man roster and that matches what Brad Berry said when he said recently in an interview that "38% of the team will be freshmen" as 10/26 is 38.46%. 

Does that roster (we are not going in the math weeds again) look right given what we know right now? 

So a freshman coming with zero collegiate goals will replace Murphy on the roster..........who also had zero collegiate goals.  

Good point Oxbow. What causes me a little concern is all of the other things besides scoring goals where Murphy had stepped up his game. He was winning battles in the corner, setting up linemates in front of the net, playing with good positioning. On a team that did not play well in the conference tournament, his good play stood out. He set up goals in the regional in Fargo. Those are things the freshmen will need to learn as they are adjusting to the speed of the college game. We already have a lot of forwards to replace with freshmen. Several of them are going to have to step up very quickly, or other teams will load up on the top lines and the increased production we hope for may not happen. If we were just replacing a couple of forwards, it isn't as much of an issue. While I am hoping for the good, I am also hoping we don't experience an epic Wisconsin type year, ala 2014-15. Only time will tell.

Good point Oxbow. What causes me a little concern is all of the other things besides scoring goals where Murphy had stepped up his game. He was winning battles in the corner, setting up linemates in front of the net, playing with good positioning. On a team that did not play well in the conference tournament, his good play stood out. He set up goals in the regional in Fargo. Those are things the freshmen will need to learn as they are adjusting to the speed of the college game. We already have a lot of forwards to replace with freshmen. Several of them are going to have to step up very quickly, or other teams will load up on the top lines and the increased production we hope for may not happen. If we were just replacing a couple of forwards, it isn't as much of an issue. While I am hoping for the good, I am also hoping we don't experience an epic Wisconsin type year, ala 2014-15. Only time will tell.

No no no... Sconnie lost EVERYONE from their 13-14 squad. No way that happens. No. Way.

Trying to bring this out of the "math with numbers is hard!" weeds, let's go back to: 

Does that roster (we are not going in the math weeds again) look right given what we know right now? 

No, but only because we won't have room for Gaardner, once Austomer Matthews makes his surprise announcement to come to UND next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa8U0nL-KXg

jack eichel is replacing murphy :0

Speaking of, speed of college hockey. I watched the Sioux vs UNO game Sunday night, wow what a slow paced game! After watching almost every NHL playoff game my favorite team looked slow, as did UNO. I was at that game in November, don't remember it that way?????

Ok... so, it's Monday after a long weekend. I need a distraction.

I think we all assume Boeser will be the stud freshman this year with maybe Wilkie and Gersich 2 and 2a. Who else will be a quick contributor? I like Janatuinen's numbers? We looking at a Top 6 in him?

Tomek time...

How about Shaw?

Anyone think Gornall is the next Steph Pattyn?

Ok... so, it's Monday after a long weekend. I need a distraction.

I think we all assume Boeser will be the stud freshman this year with maybe Wilkie and Gersich 2 and 2a. Who else will be a quick contributor? I like Janatuinen's numbers? We looking at a Top 6 in him?

Tomek time...

How about Shaw?

Anyone think Gornall is the next Steph Pattyn?

Tomek brings with him the Slovakian spirit of SPARKY!   Wooohoooo!    Tomek time indeed! 

Caggiula Schmaltz Poganski
Chyzk Johnson Boeser
Gersich Simonson Wilkie
Janatuinen St. Clair Olson

- More of a top 9 than a true top 6.  Gersich and Simo play decent D I believe and that should make up for Wilkie's growing D game.

Thompson LaDue
Ausmus Stecher
Wolanin/Shaw Poolman

Tomek
Johnson

Chyzk Johnson Boeser

Gersich Simonson Wilkie

- More of a top 9 than a true top 6.  Gersich and Simo play decent D I believe and that should make up for Wilkie's growing D game.

Like these forward line to start the year especially the top line.  Pogs has some Malone type edge to him.  The 2nd line has some good offensive punch as well.

Chyzk Johnson Boeser

Gersich Simonson Wilkie

Thompson LaDue

Ausmus Stecher

Wolanin/Shaw Poolman

Tomek

Johnson

Like these forward line to start the year especially the top line.  Pogs has some Malone type edge to him.  The 2nd line has some good offensive punch as well.

I like these, too, but I think Boeser HAS to play with Nick. Just too good not to have a pure playmaker with what looks like a pure scorer. So, I flip Pogo and Boeser.

I like these, too, but I think Boeser HAS to play with Nick. Just too good not to have a pure playmaker with what looks like a pure scorer. So, I flip Pogo and Boeser.

I definitely thought that too. One thing I have seen from boeser is that in many cases he creates his own opportunities. My thinking is that bubs won't put cags, schmaltz and boeser together.

And to oxbows point these are lines to begin the season. I could see gersich or Wilkie move up (or down) depending on how they handle the speed adjustment from juniors.

Maybe pogo - schmaltz - boeser

Caggs - LJ - chyz

My initial goal was to mix up the freshman and veterans

Caggiula-Johnson-Poganski

Gersich-Schmaltz-Boeser

Chyzk-Simonson-Wilkie

Janatuinen/Gardner-St.Clair-Olson

Ausmus-Stecher

Thompson-LaDue

Wolanin/Shaw-Poolman

Tomek/Johnson

Hrynkiw

I like these too.  i think the Finnish kid would easily beat on Gardner.  You never know though.  I've read that JJ plays a very responsible game.

I definitely thought that too. One thing I have seen from boeser is that in many cases he creates his own opportunities. My thinking is that bubs won't put cags, schmaltz and boeser together.

And to oxbows point these are lines to begin the season. I could see gersich or Wilkie move up (or down) depending on how they handle the speed adjustment from juniors.

Maybe pogo - schmaltz - boeser

Caggs - LJ - chyz

My initial goal was to mix up the freshman and veterans

But wouldn't that be a good reason to put them together, too? Boeser can create his own AND can get dished to.

But wouldn't that be a good reason to put them together, too? Boeser can create his own AND can get dished to.

Right, then maybe move Caggs off that line.  That would work too.  I typically like spreading the wealth over the top 3 lines.  Mixing in some upperclassman.  It is typically easier to shut down one line.  I also see LJ having a much better year this year than in years past.  These top lines must play D too....so I was thinking about it from that point as well.  we'll see, it will all depend on boeser's impact.

I like these too.  i think the Finnish kid would easily beat on Gardner.  You never know though.  I've read that JJ plays a very responsible game.

Gardner is a big guy.  Don't know much about him other than that, but he should be able to punish people 'when' he gets in on the 4th line.