SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

http://thehockeywriters.com/chicago-blackhawks-top-10-prospects-5-through-1/?ref=yfp

This is the worst assessment of Nick Schmaltz I have ever read.  Literally, the worst.  The writer is positive when writing about Schmaltz but his assessment of the type of player he is could not be further from accurate.

Goal scoring center? He needs to start shooting the puck if that's the case. I don't disagree with much of what he said. Nick is a very smart hockey player, that when paired with linemates that see the ice as he does, could be absolutely lethal.

Goal scoring center? He needs to start shooting the puck if that's the case. I don't disagree with much of what he said. Nick is a very smart hockey player, that when paired with linemates that see the ice as he does, could be absolutely lethal.

Personally, I wouldn't compare Nick to Pavelski. I don't think they're even close. Nick is a pass first guy.

Tomek has to be one of the youngest goalies in the NCAA maybe youngest. I can try and figure it out unless anyone knows? Seems goalies are usually older when making it to campus around the country. 

I'm not sure age makes a difference with goalies.  Nothing makes sense with goalies.  They're aliens with alien minds and souls.  I'm not sure they are even born like the rest of us.  Take Wilbur, for instance . . .

But at least it's not a free throw shooting contest to determine an outcome.  It's certainly not perfect, but better than they have now, and it is the way the NHL is heading. 

Playing 3 on 3 is just a half step above the free throw shooting contest IMO.  Would rather they just played  5x5 with 10 minute OT, if it ends in a tie then so be it.

• Upvote 3

Playing 3 on 3 is just a half step above the free throw shooting contest IMO.  Would rather they just played  5x5 with 10 minute OT, if it ends in a tie then so be it.

Yeah, that would be better, but it beats the one on one scenario of a shootout.  I think it will be interesting to see what UND would do with the 3 on 3.  Would they go with Nick Schmaltz and Drake Caggiula with a defenseman, or Schmaltz with Stecher and Thompson.  Think I would go with 2 defensemen since they have great offensive ability though.  Whatever they do, it is going to be some fast paced back and forth action.  Hopefully with the skill we have now, it won't be quite so back and forth. 

Edited by tnt

Yeah, that would be better, but it beats the one on one scenario of a shootout.  I think it will be interesting to see what UND would do with the 3 on 3.  Would they go with Nick Schmaltz and Drake Caggiula with a defenseman, or Schmaltz with Stecher and Thompson.  Think I would go with 2 defensemen since they have great offensive ability though.  Whatever they do, it is going to be some fast paced back and forth action.  Hopefully with the skill we have now, it won't be quite so back and forth.  

We are fortunate that one of our best defensemen played forward nearly all of last year.  Makes it easy to roll him out with another offensive Dman and a forward and not lose a step.