SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

Gardner is a big guy.  Don't know much about him other than that, but he should be able to punish people 'when' he gets in on the 4th line.

Hope you are right, but remember size doesn't always mean physical, for those who remember watching Joe Finley play.

Gardner is a big guy.  Don't know much about him other than that, but he should be able to punish people 'when' he gets in on the 4th line.

True.  But JJ had 50 pts in 50 games in a much tougher league.  Also, went +20.  I could see him working his way into the lineup.

Just a reminder but I believe the guy played a few more NHL games than you or I.

I'd say "Waste of Space" is a little harsh.

I'd say he didn't live up the hype, definitely, but he was an alternate captain as a senior and was a good defenseman. Sure, he made his mistakes, but people rail on Fins way too much.

• Upvote 1

Just a reminder but I believe the guy played a few more NHL games than you or I.

I'd say "Waste of Space" is a little harsh.

No, "waste of space" is fairly accurate. For his size, he didn't have kind of cannon one might expect, he wasn't physical at all and he got burned all the time because he was so slow.

1st round pick and 8 years later, he is still playing mostly AHL (and not putting up great numbers). Not saying I would do better, but I was also not a first round draft pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, "waste of space" is fairly accurate. For his size, he didn't have kind of cannon one might expect, he wasn't physical at all and he got burned all the time because he was so slow.

1st round pick and 8 years later, he is still playing mostly AHL (and not putting up great numbers). Not saying I would do better, but I was also not a first round draft pick.

"Waste of space" does not equal former A cap, NHL player and current AHL player.... it just equals a player who didn't live up to expectations... happens all the time.

Is Sanderson no longer on the team or are you all just listing line ups without the press box crew?

I feel Joe got a bad wrap around here, he was a big guy that needed to become an elite player to cover for Chay on his offensive outbursts.  Kind of hard for him to play physical when every bump he made was a head shot, maybe he should have played on his knees.

Lol right? Chay could do no wrong at UND in the eyes of the fan, while he was way more reckless and irresponsible defensively.

I wouldn't say Chay could do no wrong but he contributed much more than Finley despite some D lapses when he was creating offense...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=92084

And he was a super nice guy to boot. :)

EDIT: Plus if you look at his stats he was a 'Point-Per-Game' guy in the NHL!

OK, so we have our first Finlander (Janatuinen). 

Have we had a guy from Pennsylvania before Gornall? 

Jay Caufield was from PA. Better known for his football skills than hockey at UND .

I wouldn't say Chay could do no wrong but he contributed much more than Finley despite some D lapses when he was creating offense...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=92084

And he was a super nice guy to boot. :)

EDIT: Plus if you look at his stats he was a 'Point-Per-Game' guy in the NHL!

I personally liked Finley, but you're right, Chay was just a dude. Great guy.

"Waste of space" does not equal former A cap, NHL player and current AHL player.... it just equals a player who didn't live up to expectations... happens all the time.

I'll agree with ya, I was just never a fan. I though the guy had WAY more potential than he ever showed. Don't forget the A typically has to do with more than skill, which Finley tended to lack.

Lol right? Chay could do no wrong at UND in the eyes of the fan, while he was way more reckless and irresponsible defensively.

I think Chay could do no wrong because it was nice to see an offensive defenseman; that being said he would probably have been better paired elsewhere. Leaving a slow and HUGE defenseman to cover up mistakes isn't always a great idea. Not making everything Joe's fault, but certainly looking like it in the moment. I met Joe a few times, not a bad guy at all, just not the player I hoped he would be.

Ok... so, it's Monday after a long weekend. I need a distraction.

I think we all assume Boeser will be the stud freshman this year with maybe Wilkie and Gersich 2 and 2a. Who else will be a quick contributor? I like Janatuinen's numbers? We looking at a Top 6 in him?

Tomek time...

How about Shaw?

Anyone think Gornall is the next Steph Pattyn?

Boeser has to be counted on to be the primary contributor, along, obviously, with Tomek.  Probably either Shaw or Wolanin as the next top frosh contributor.

Beyond that I wouldn't expect much.  Before everyone starts going crazy over Wilkie or Gersich, we need to remember that both struggled with taking the step up to the USHL, and were probably held back a year from what was initially expected in terms of coming to campus.  I don't expect to see major contributions from either until probably their late sophomore or early junior seasons.

Boeser has to be counted on to be the primary contributor, along, obviously, with Tomek.  Probably either Shaw or Wolanin as the next top frosh contributor.

Beyond that I wouldn't expect much.  Before everyone starts going crazy over Wilkie or Gersich, we need to remember that both struggled with taking the step up to the USHL, and were probably held back a year from what was initially expected in terms of coming to campus.  I don't expect to see major contributions from either until probably their late sophomore or early junior seasons.

Gersich actually just completed his senior year in high school, but your point is somewhat accurate.

There's so much here I disagree with. 

• Downvote 1

Anyone know which development camp caggulia is at?

I don't see him on this list below

http://collegehockeyinc.com/node/1116

http://m.collegehockeyinc.com/node/1116

I see stecher was at jets camp as well

Poolman with 1g1a in jets camp game

Why wouldn't some drafted UND players not go? Like Lj? It can't be money at this stage of the development process.