SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

this may have been mentioned by others but interesting stat-Matt has two shutouts, Zane had four in his career.

I fear this may say more about the quality of our competition than the quality of our goaltending.

Obviously I have no complaints about the job Matt has done stepping in, but the teams we have played thus far are truly awful.

• Upvote 2

I fear this may say more about the quality of our competition than the quality of our goaltending.

Obviously I have no complaints about the job Matt has done stepping in, but the teams we have played thus far are truly awful.

Hrynkiw isn't as good as Zane, but Zane had a habit of giving up a softy or 2 against the awful teams we played last year. In 13 games against Colorado College, Air Force, Niagara, Wisconsin, and Lake Superior State last year, we got 1 shutout. 

• Upvote 3

I think is may have to do with the fact our defensemen are better this year.

I think is may have to do with the fact our defensemen are better this year.

And probably don't take their goaltender for granted right now.  Hrynkiw is doing a great job, but I'd imagine everyone in front of him is doing everything they can to help him out.  When you have a goalie like Zane behind you, it's easy to get into the habit of assuming he'll be able to make the save.

• Upvote 2

Hrynkiw isn't as good as Zane, but Zane had a habit of giving up a softy or 2 against the awful teams we played last year. In 13 games against Colorado College, Air Force, Niagara, Wisconsin, and Lake Superior State last year, we got 1 shutout. 

Here's a thought.  I recall Herb Brooks saying in Miracle that did not pick Craig because he was the most consistent goalie; he picked him because he had the top end potential to be the lights-out goalie they needed to beat the Soviets.   That may have been nothing more than Hollywood screenwriting, but that's what I recall.  Zane was much more solid in his positioning than either H or Cam, and he was one of the best UND has ever had, but he did have a tendency to get beat for a goal or two.   Maybe H, with some game-speed experience and development, can use his quickness and his glove to offer something like Craig.  We know he has toughness and a strong will.   

A girl can dream anyway . . .   

Edited by burd

And probably don't take their goaltender for granted right now.  Hrynkiw is doing a great job, but I'd imagine everyone in front of him is doing everything they can to help him out.  When you have a goalie like Zane behind you, it's easy to get into the habit of assuming he'll be able to make the save.

That is a great point and may be a big factor

Was this Cags second 5 min. major this season, which has now resulted in a suspension? I also seem to recall at least one last season. Hopefully not an over aggressive and reckless trend developing with him. Better competion will put the goals up on the board against the Sioux.

If that were the case I doubt we'd see as many shots on goal as we have had so far this season. Then again we don't have many shots against either.....

When I first saw this hit live I immediately thought it was a dirty hit.  It looked in real time speed that he was targeting the head.  Now that I have seen it in slow motion several times, I don't think that Cags was targeting the head maliciously.  Regardless of intent however, Drake left his feet on a blind side hit in which he made contact with his chest and head.  While I will not outright say it was a malicious hit, it still very much warrants a one game suspension.  This was a very dangerous play and Drake needs to work on controlling his body in these situations.  This is his second game misconduct of the season so you can bet if it happens again this year it will bring more than a one game suspension.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like shoulder to chest to me, and I can't tell that he left his feet, except that he almost goes down himself. I think I'll go with what the Sioux bench thought, a legal hit.

He'll have to be careful though, from here on

Looks like shoulder to chest to me, and I can't tell that he left his feet, except that he almost goes down himself. I think I'll go with what the Sioux bench thought, a legal hit.

He'll have to be careful though, from here on

BS call!!! the CC guy played it well, shouldv got a penalty for diving in my opinion. Drake got him across the chest, if he had got an elbow up got him in the head then a little different story, give Drake a 2 minute roughing call if anything if you have to give him something. looked like Drake slightly left his feet. I dont know what they saw if they reviewed this in slow motion, I dont think it deserved missing a game.... Weak call IMO, great acting job by the CC guy. If a Sioux player acted like that i'd be pissed at him!!! probly thank that joke of head of officials don adoms for that suspension

Edited by Emerald joker

When I first saw this hit live I immediately thought it was a dirty hit.  It looked in real time speed that he was targeting the head.  Now that I have seen it in slow motion several times, I don't think that Cags was targeting the head maliciously.  Regardless of intent however, Drake left his feet on a blind side hit in which he made contact with his chest and head.  While I will not outright say it was a malicious hit, it still very much warrants a one game suspension.  This was a very dangerous play and Drake needs to work on controlling his body in these situations.  This is his second game misconduct of the season so you can bet if it happens again this year it will bring more than a one game suspension.

I think the targeting aspect is very important when they are looking at things like this.  He had no intention of gaining possession of the puck, just nailing the player, and he came in with his elbow high.  Just like the NFL, you do that, and right or wrong, they will tend on the side of player protection.  

• Upvote 1