SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

You described a bunch of changes and then pointed to a new coach as the only variable that was replaced. Seems contradictory.

Yeah my bad. 

No college hockey team is ever the same from year to year. That "variable" is constant. There's another contradiction (or is that an oxymoron) for ya. :lol:

Edited by Cratter

Huh?

The "talking points" are from watching hockey over the years. Not from the "experts" here on this site. You didn't have to pay that close attention to know Zane was awesome and left early and nobody behind him barely played. You didn't have to pay that close attention to know UND lost a lot of scoring and replaced them with freshman.

It is a huge surprise. Virtually nobody saw this coming. There was a lot of unknowns coming into this season. That's probably why they were picked third in the league. UND is doing great. I hope they keep it up. There was only one variable that was replaced. I answered a question if this team would probably have the same record with Hak. I answered with pretty well thought out points of how Hakstol had a lot of years and more talented teams to try and never started a season like this. Some think its pure coincidence and that's just as silly. That isn't to say this team could loss in the first round and Hak could have gotten to the Frozen Four again. Maybe Berry peaks early in the season and Hak's were later in the season. We don't know. We do know peaking later in the season is better than peaking early. Years from now someone might ask "Do Berry's teams peak too early in the season?" That answer could possibly be yes. But we sure hope not.

I don't remember a year we didn't think oh "this might be the year Hak gets the monkey off his back."

But I agree I never said anything about dump and chase.:cool:

Well...where were the Sioux ranked at the beginning or prior to the season and ranked since? I believe the difference is very minimal. The rebuilding fear came from here, obviously not the USCHO, or USA today? 

• Upvote 1

Well, Zane did play all but half of a game in the 3 years he was at UND, so there's that. 

My point is he isn't the first player in the last few years to come out and say he probably should have stayed at UND instead of jumping to the pros.

• Upvote 2

I think as far as settling whether this season has been a surprise, Zane left, so must have been at least aware that there was a possibility of harder times ahead.

That said, my mouth waters thinking of the kind of things that would happen if Zane were in net with this team in front of him.

Well...where were the Sioux ranked at the beginning or prior to the season and ranked since? I believe the difference is very minimal. The rebuilding fear came from here, obviously not the USCHO, or USA today? 

Ha, agreed.  We lost a first round defensemen however we were way too deep as it was back there.  We brought in two very good defensemen who would have no trouble cracking any other lineup in the country (probably top 4).  We lost some older forwards who provided great leadership for us however we also brought in an extremely talented group of freshman (both older and younger).  Now I am somewhat shocked that guys like Wilkie, Gersich and JJ aren't hitting the stat sheet a bit harder but that's fine for now. I also thought Pogo and LJ would provide more offense but that's also whatever for now.  Boeser come's in as advertised and Schmaltz has taken steps to round out his game a bit.  Both are first rounders and are dominating like they should be.  Our team is better this year than last year's; hopefully they can make it as far or further when it comes tourney time.

I'm hoping guys like LJ, Pogo, Gersich, Wilkie, Olson, and Simo find some of the offense they had in juniors. Other than Pogo last game they have been riding the coattails of that top line.  These boys are really good, they need to get some confidence and show up. :)

Edited by scpa0305

Ha, agreed.  We lost a first round defensemen however we were way too deep as it was back there.  We brought in two very good defensemen who would have no trouble cracking any other lineup in the country (probably top 4).  We lost some older forwards who provided great leadership for us however we also brought in an extremely talented group of freshman (both older and younger).  Now I am somewhat shocked that guys like Wilkie, Gersich and JJ aren't hitting the stat sheet a bit harder but that's fine for now. I also thought Pogo and LJ would provide more offense but that's also whatever for now.  Boeser come's in as advertised and Schmaltz has taken steps to round out his game a bit.  Both are first rounders and are dominating like they should be.  Our team is better this year than last year's; hopefully they can make it as far or further when it comes tourney time.

I'm hoping guys like LJ, Pogo, Gersich, Wilkie, Olson, and Simo find some of the offense they had in juniors. Other than Pogo last game they have been riding the coattails of that top line.  These boys are really good, they need to get some confidence and show up. :)

I don't know if we need to be calling for heads if this year's team doesn't get it done - nor any season, with the degree of success we've had in 10+ years - but doesn't the goal have to be a Natty? Not much else left for this program to do, sans *another* Championship.

Edited by ClassB

My thoughts.  I'm guilty of this as much as anyone being this last weekend went so much better than most of us expected.

We knew we had a very good D corp coming in.    

We knew we had good leadership in place.

We knew we had a talented freshman class coming in, but a question on how well they would contribute.

We had big questions in goal.

The D corp has been as advertised, at least offensively.

The freshmen have shown flashes, especially early but that has largely tailed off lately (Boeser being the exception).

I think we've been fortunate in goal, especially when it got down to Hrynkiw, but some of that can be attributed to good team D.  the rest MH gets a big pat on the back.

We really didn't know what we had in Johnson.   Coming in it was expected that he could play at this level, but we saw very little of him.  It's not to his discredit that he hadn't looked good in his previous appearances since he'd played so little.  even starting out this year, he was pretty new to playing it at this level.   He appears to have caught up the game at the D1 level.

The top line has been excellent, but Schmaltz and Caggiula are relatively known quantities.   Boeser has been better than most of us expected.   Perhaps it's playing with these guys that helps give him opportunities but he carries his weight on that line.

I guess my point is this when comparing Berry and Hak at this point.   I doubt Berry is making Cam Johnson a better goalie than he was under Hak.  That's just maturation and experience.   I doubt that Berry is making that top line better than Hak would have.  Again, I think that's maturation and experience with Schmaltz, Caggiula's experience and talent, and Boeser's talent showing through.

Hak would let this top line run and gun as much as Berry.

One a different note, we're giddy about how good this team is right now, but if it wasn't for this top line our record wouldn't be near where it is, because the offensive production is not carried by the depth of the forward lines, at least not yet.   If this top line tapers off, or someone gets hurt, we will need to be winning 1-0, 2-1 games.  

I'm very happy how things are going but cautious about over estimating just how good we are yet.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if we need to be calling for heads if this year's team doesn't get it done - nor any season, with the degree of success we've had in 10+ years - but doesn't the goal have to be a Natty? Not much else left for this program to do, sans *another* Championship.

I agree with this 1000%. The frustration people had with Hakstol was the inability to finish the job at the biggest stage in college hockey (Frozen Four). And that frustration was built over a period of 10 years. Berry will obviously get a honeymoon period here (something that Hakstol admittedly did not get and should have gotten), but with the expectations our fans have of this program, that won't last more than a few years. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

• Upvote 3

Huh? How did you think about this from reading my post? :)

Obviously winning a natty is the goal for a program of our caliber.

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 1

I agree with you. However, more than a few people on this forum seem to not care so much if we do it or not.

Not quite, but they dont want the coaches head if they don't win the last two games of the year. Big difference.... And to blame that loss on the head coach is even more ridiculous.... IMO of coarse.

• Upvote 1

Bolded is really what I was responding to. Not taking anything from you SCPA! I just think the rhetoric should be that we expect to be in the title game with a season starting like this.

I challenge you to find one person on this site that has ever stated that.

I have said this before, nobody has said it in so many words. However, they make comments such as "Well, it would be nice to win another 'natty', but it isn't all that big of a deal if we don't." That makes it clear that they don't care all that much if we hang another dark green banner or not.

I have said this before, nobody has said it in so many words. However, they make comments such as "Well, it would be nice to win another 'natty', but it isn't all that big of a deal if we don't." That makes it clear that they don't care all that much if we hang another dark green banner or not.

<sigh> :silly:

Nope, not gonna go there.

giphy.gif

My point is he isn't the first player in the last few years to come out and say he probably should have stayed at UND instead of jumping to the pros.

That is a pattern I have noticed as well. I would urge current college players to listen to the voices of experience and think twice about leaving school early. Unless your last name is Toews, Parise or Oshie, it isn't worth giving up your college years (which will never, ever come again).