SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

I think the targeting aspect is very important when they are looking at things like this.  He had no intention of gaining possession of the puck, just nailing the player, and he came in with his elbow high.  Just like the NFL, you do that, and right or wrong, they will tend on the side of player protection.  

whoa there, now you're making things up. There absolutely was no high elbow

Edited by sprig
  • Upvote 3

I think the targeting aspect is very important when they are looking at things like this.  He had no intention of gaining possession of the puck, just nailing the player, and he came in with his elbow high.  Just like the NFL, you do that, and right or wrong, they will tend on the side of player protection.  

Checking is allowed.  He didn't hit the head and he didn't leave his feet.  He was already kicked out of that game (which probably shouldn't have happened either). Terrible suspension.  

Edited by scpa0305
  • Upvote 3

whoa there, now you're making things up. There absolutely was no high elbow

Have you seen this hit from many angles?  I cannot see from the angle given whether he connected or not, but I did see him take his hand off the stick and bring his arm up.  I don't know if it hit or not, but I can't see how everyone is so sure of themselves from that clip, when other people see it different.  I guess at the very least, the league saw it different.  

Barely looks like a penalty, let alone a suspension.

Saw no elbow come up. Didn't leave his feet.

Might have barely (accidentally) caught has the bottom of the CC's helmet with his shoulder. ( I don't even think he touched the CC's players helmet/head You can see the CC player turning his head right before the hit in preparing). With most(if not all) contact being shoulder to shoulder.

Definitely wasn't malicious with intent to injure.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 2

Have you seen this hit from many angles?  I cannot see from the angle given whether he connected or not, but I did see him take his hand off the stick and bring his arm up.  I don't know if it hit or not, but I can't see how everyone is so sure of themselves from that clip, when other people see it different.  I guess at the very least, the league saw it different.  

Nope, but guessing this is the only angle the league saw as well.

That is Insane if that's a penalty 

Stuff like this needs to be reviewed by people who really know hockey

If it is confirmed - hockey will never be the same & folks who loved the game the way it was might as well die or move south far from hockey - but death would be far less painful than seeing the game become a PC pansy game

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 1

I believe its a 1 game per misconduct after the 2nd one, so for every misconduct he gets from here on out will cost him a game.  Usually you get two strikes before being suspended on the third but he got unlucky and got a suspension tacked onto his second misconduct by the league.

22.2 Suspensions - A player who receives three (3) game misconduct penalties in the same season (including exhibition games) shall not be permitted to play in the team’s next regular-season or tournament game against an NCAA member institution. For each additional game misconduct penalty (e.g. four, five, etc.) assessed to the same player in the same season, the player shall be suspended for one (1) additional game. This shall not be part of a progressive penalty structure. Exhibition games cannot be used to fulfill the suspension for this violation.

Gotta go with GFHockey on this one.  That's just hockey...wow...i guess they want to play ringette

I agree it was a bad call to suspend him. Penalty on the ice...sure. But what would you and gfhockey be saying if this happened to Cags? I think the explanation above says it all. "He did not try to take away the puck" if they look at it that way, its a penalty. IMO. 

However, saying that he didn't try to take the puck away isn't valid.  You don't have to.  There is checking in hockey, and it's a part of the game to make physical contact with a player to separate him from the puck.  1st man plays the body, 2nd man takes the puck.  Caggulia doesn't have to "go for the puck" when making contact.

Bingo!  I was going to point that out but you beat me to it.  It is a team game and strategy.

I'll play both sides on this one....Sioux fans would be calling for a suspension if this had happened against a Sioux player, no doubt.  I have no problem with this being called a penalty...suspension though?  Not sure.

However, saying that he didn't try to take the puck away isn't valid.  You don't have to.  There is checking in hockey, and it's a part of the game to make physical contact with a player to separate him from the puck.  1st man plays the body, 2nd man takes the puck.  Caggulia doesn't have to "go for the puck" when making contact.

Agreed, him not "going for the puck" makes zero difference. You're allowed to check someone that possesses the puck(legally of course). It does not factor into a penalty and definitely should not factor into a suspension.

I think it just looks bad because he was leaning to his left and had him lined up for a doozy of a hit, but looks to me as if he kept his elbow down and straightened up.  Made the hit less but brought the contact to head into the situation.  I am very new at video reffing and I can't afford Holiday Inn Express.

I'll play both sides on this one....Sioux fans would be calling for a suspension if this had happened against a Sioux player, no doubt.  I have no problem with this being called a penalty...suspension though?  Not sure.

Great point, but you know I quoted someone else and said I agreed the suspension was wrong, right?

Never thought of it that way though, makes sense.

I think most of us agree this was an unjustified suspension.  And most of us probably also agree that it is too bad some of the clean, heavy hitting in the game is being outlawed.  And that is interesting discussion for winter meetings and whatever seasonal meetings the heads of officials have.  But the real issue on the ground for our guys is how you play smart so those officiating decisions do not increase the chance that they will lose.  As fast as this game is played, and with the current enforcement goals of protecting players, that hit will get you the box every single time.  Wrong call upon slow motion review?  Probably.  But the penalty will be called and everybody knows it.   And nobody can act surprised that Cags got the dressing room for it either, right or wrong.   What counts is not whether the call was justified but how the players adjust to an environment they all know exists.  This team is good.  They have speed and skill up and down the lineup, great defense, and some snipers.  They need to play physical but smart, and that hit, while legit, was not particularly smart IMO. 

I think most of us agree this was an unjustified suspension.  And most of us probably also agree that it is too bad some of the clean, heavy hitting in the game is being outlawed.  And that is interesting discussion for winter meetings and whatever seasonal meetings the heads of officials have.  But the real issue on the ground for our guys is how you play smart so those officiating decisions do not increase the chance that they will lose.  As fast as this game is played, and with the current enforcement goals of protecting players, that hit will get you the box every single time.  Wrong call upon slow motion review?  Probably.  But the penalty will be called and everybody knows it.   And nobody can act surprised that Cags got the dressing room for it either, right or wrong.   What counts is not whether the call was justified but how the players adjust to an environment they all know exists.  This team is good.  They have speed and skill up and down the lineup, great defense, and some snipers.  They need to play physical but smart, and that hit, while legit, was not particularly smart IMO. 

Smart is something that's absolutely essential in the present mind-set of today's college hockey.

I agree it was a bad call to suspend him. Penalty on the ice...sure. But what would you and gfhockey be saying if this happened to Cags? I think the explanation above says it all. "He did not try to take away the puck" if they look at it that way, its a penalty. IMO. 

I wouldn't be upset if he had gotten 2 minutes...upset if he'd gotten five...really upset on a misconduct...a DQ??  REALLY...for that???