SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

That is a pattern I have noticed as well. I would urge current college players to listen to the voices of experience and think twice about leaving school early. Unless your last name is Toews, Parise or Oshie, it isn't worth giving up your college years (which will never, ever come again).

College was fun... The best seven years of my life. ;) 

• Upvote 4

My point is he isn't the first player in the last few years to come out and say he probably should have stayed at UND instead of jumping to the pros.

Do you think he actually meant that?  From what I've heard Mcyntire was pretty set on going.  It was also his time, he was ready.  Same story with Schmaltz.  Every good player loves playing in GF as they are pretty much celebs, but both of these players was ready.  For their development, it was better for them to move up.

Do you think he actually meant that?  From what I've heard Mcyntire was pretty set on going.  It was also his time, he was ready.  Same story with Schmaltz.  Every good player loves playing in GF as they are pretty much celebs, but both of these players was ready.  For their development, it was better for them to move up.

Again..................I know that Zane would have stayed at UND if he had to do it all over again.  Whether he actually meant that is not something I think is even arguable.

• Upvote 1

Got to meet and chat with Coach Berry and his daughter Brooke at a benefit in Mayville last night. He was as nice a person as everyone has said and his daughter was easy to visit with, too. And, gosh, he is a big guy!

Berry is an awesome guy, my family live across the street from him for a few years when he was first at UND and I was in grade school.  He always had kids around the neighborhood over and told them hockey stories while providing candy and pop. Upon leaving UND and moving away he handed me a hockey stick he used in his NHL playing career. I'll never forget that stuff, still have the stick.

• Upvote 3

Berry is an awesome guy, my family live across the street from him for a few years when he was first at UND and I was in grade school.  He always had kids around the neighborhood over and told them hockey stories while providing candy and pop. Upon leaving UND and moving away he handed me a hockey stick he used in his NHL playing career. I'll never forget that stuff, still have the stick.

I asked him a question about the practices at Meet the Sioux, he seems like and is a very approachable person, he doesn't come off as intimidating at all, in a good way. Actually now that I think about it, Cary Eades was the same way.

Edited by Emerald joker

First Half of the Season:

7 Home Games. 13 Away.

Second Half of the Season:

10 Home Games. 6 Away.

I think it's going to a battle for first place in the NCHC and could very well come down to the last weekend of the year. 

And that would be just fine.   Prepare them for one-and-done time. 

It's obviously that Berry is a better coach than Hakstol.:wink: Right Cratter?

Yet to be determined. 

I don't think its too far stretch to say Zane was a better goalie than Cam right now, although Cam has amazing numbers. A lot of it has to do with defense. Where coaching comes to play. Maybe Shaw's the best coach on the team. :wink:.....This defense made a walkon goalie look like Aaron Dell. 

Hoping Berry's teams don't peak too early.

Hakstol always had them playing the best when it mattered most. 

Also hoping Berry doesn't peak early in his career like Hakstol. 

Edited by Cratter

At the Final Five? 

He did win it four times. 

Now if you're talking about the Frozen Faceoff, I'm still waiting to watch UND win one game at the Target Center. 

I do like how Berry keeps emphasizing winning two games in a row, which is critical in the NCAA tournament. 

Edited by Cratter

Yet to be determined. 

I don't think its too far stretch to say Zane was a better goalie than Cam right now, although Cam has amazing numbers. A lot of it has to do with defense. Where coaching comes to play. Maybe Shaw's the best coach on the team. :wink:.....This defense made a walkon goalie look like Aaron Dell. 

Hoping Berry's teams don't peak too early.

Hakstol always had them playing the best when it mattered most. 

Also hoping Berry doesn't peak early in his career like Hakstol. 

That's a good point, Cratter.  They let Duluth control play in the zone much of the night, but that D corps really understands how to plug up prime shooting lanes and the garbage zone in front.  Cam's positioning was extremely good all weekend, but it's partly because he knew where the pucks would be coming from.  

Maybe because it's a momentum-driven, energy game, hockey is oversimplified by us fans--me at least.  Good D depends a lot on forwards playing good D, something that is easy to appreciate with the best offensive line on this team.   Good offensive production depends a lot on good transition, which starts with the Dmen. 

Whether the coaching can be described as good, of course, depends on whether he has won a natty or not.   :D