SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Wentz's uncle can probably enlighten us more, but UND did not have a chance at Carson Wentz. His brother played baseball at NDSU and it seemed that he was always headed there. Don't know (again deferring to family) if Wentz had offers from B1G or Big 12 schools, but didn't seem like UND was ever really in the conversation, Muss or not.

I guess that was one of Mussman's problems, he didn't recruit the right kids. He focused too much on out-of-staters and the almighty Tale of the Tape. There wasn't enough focus on character, work ethic, attitude, etc. That is just one area where Bubba is light years ahead of Mussman.

I don't buy that argument. While I agree that the focus shifted too far away from ND and partially MN, I don't think that saying he didn't recruit the right kids is real accurate either. I think he hit on quite a few guys and there are quite a few kids that went through the program or aren't on campus any more that would look really good on UND's roster right now (Golladay, Schobert and Kuska come to mind immediately).  The bigger issue to me was more what happened when the kids got to campus including player development/coaching. Good OC, just wasn't ready or able to be a HC at this level, particularly a first time HC.  To make a bad situation worse, it was compounded by a whole host of other things including the transition, nickname issue and lack of support (that was definitely somewhat self-inflicted).  Regardless, glad the football team appears to be headed in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

play a little what if for this season..

what if muss could have gotten wentz to play here instead of at the ac

what if muss could have gotten joe schobert to come to und a couple falls ago

what if kenny G would've stayed....

Schobert is an amazing story.  I've got to think there are 7-8 FCS schools, pretty much every MAC school, and half a dozen BIG schools that have some recruiting interest in Wisconsin, and they all missed on him.  Did UND offer any scholarship money, or was he a preferred walk-on?

Schobert is an amazing story.  I've got to think there are 7-8 FCS schools, pretty much every MAC school, and half a dozen BIG schools that have some recruiting interest in Wisconsin, and they all missed on him.  Did UND offer any scholarship money, or was he a preferred walk-on?

Unfortunately, PWO.  He would probably be with us had we offered some $!!

If they would have given him 20% even, he would have been locked in and not even thought about leaving.  Instead, PWO's can easily leave with very little issue I believe.  

I thought after Wisconsin offered him a PWO, UND did come back and offer some sort of money but he had already (unfortunately and understably) made up his mind. Could be wrong and don't blame the kid either way, Wisconsin is where he dreamed of playing.  Doesn't hurt that it has really worked out well for him.

Edit - Looks like it was late scholarships from NDSU and NIU he turned down to come to UND as a PWO (at least in year 1).

I thought after Wisconsin offered him a PWO, UND did come back and offer some sort of money but he had already (unfortunately and understably) made up his mind. Could be wrong and don't blame the kid either way, Wisconsin is where he dreamed of playing.  Doesn't hurt that it has really worked out well for him.

Edit - Looks like it was late scholarships from NDSU and NIU he turned down to come to UND as a PWO (at least in year 1).

I couldn't remember how it went down either but I found the 2012 recruiting thread.  I think we (NDSU) offered after  he blew up in the Wisconsin all-star game but were much too late to the party.  It really hurts when I look at our 2012 class in hindsight.  Pretty weak overall.  Anyway, I'll quit hijacking your thread.  

Agree.  If you pull a kids redshirt he needs to be good enough to help you. Olivera has shown promise. Smith's speed could be helpful at wideout and multiple sets to get him into space to utilize his speed. We need to play these guys to justify pulling red shirts. Too soon to tell.  They both have shown promise and could help this year if they continue to develop.

Need more wrinkles in this offense. Can't argue against Santiago at RB considering what he's done, but I still think splitting Santiago out wide and having him take some jet sweeps and bubble screens is not a bad idea. Same for Iwarri Smith; jet sweeps are great but give him a chance running some routes and in the screen game. 

Need a package to get Olivera on the field at the same time as Smith and Santiago. Gives you a power back for the inside game and two speedsters to put out wide for jet sweeps, bubble screens, and maybe just plain go routes. 

I will say, I like the combination of Santiago, Smith, and Olivera moving forward. They will only get better as they are true freshmen; let's not forget that. 

That 2011 squad was not good. Played a couple DII teams and barely beat Sioux Falls (almost heart breaker No.2 against them). That team got beat down in the second half against a horrible Idaho squad (yes, FBS, but probably every bit as bad as this year's Wyoming team). Also, let's not forget the type of leadership that team had. Very little discipline on that squad too. Crushed at home against the only decent team on the schedule; Cal Poly. 

Team's take on the personality of their coach, and man, for that reason I sure am happy Bubba is now that figure of character and leadership for UND football. I won't mention the name we're all thinking of, but from 2008 to 2013, UND football lacked direction and confidence. 

I was told by a good source early that year that administration had decided that Muss wasn't the right guy and would be done after the season.  Wiith an 8-3 record they couldn't justify letting him go. 

Jameer Jackson is another guy of Mussman's that was a very good player and it was unfortunate that he left.  Not sure why, but he sat out all of last year and has just 9 catches this season for Mankato.  He had over 100 receptions in his two seasons here.  He would have been a major factor the last two years here.

Jameer Jackson is another guy of Mussman's that was a very good player and it was unfortunate that he left.  Not sure why, but he sat out all of last year and has just 9 catches this season for Mankato.  He had over 100 receptions in his two seasons here.  He would have been a major factor the last two years here.

He wouldn't have lasted with Bubba. He would have been sent packing.

• Upvote 2

He wouldn't have lasted with Bubba. He would have been sent packing.

The Bison signed Wentz late 1-3-11   Had another kid from Az signed on 9-30-10.   Also had 4 other offers that went elsewhere.  I don't think he was high priority at the time.   They sure look smart now!!

The Bison signed Wentz late 1-3-11   Had another kid from Az signed on 9-30-10.   Also had 4 other offers that went elsewhere.  I don't think he was high priority at the time.   They sure look smart now!!

Yes he was high priority.  Very high.  Everyone could see how good he was going to be.  Not this good, but pretty damn good.  

He was UNDs top prospect that year. We tried to get him early and wanted him bad.

We need to keep doing what we are doing, and we may start winning some of those recruiting battles. Not all of them; I still think NDSU's ridiculous run of success will speak volumes to kids, but there will also be high end talent that want to play right away. A winning program, and a good coaching staff makes a big difference. Facilities helps too.

We need to keep doing what we are doing, and we may start winning some of those recruiting battles. Not all of them; I still think NDSU's ridiculous run of success will speak volumes to kids, but there will also be high end talent that want to play right away. A winning program, and a good coaching staff makes a big difference. Facilities helps too.

Oh, and UND has plenty of programs that aren't available at NDSU and vice versa.  We just have to make sure that we get recruits interested in learning about flying rather than the vast benefits and uses of manure. ;)

• Upvote 1

play a little what if for this season..

what if muss could have gotten wentz to play here instead of at the ac

what if muss could have gotten joe schobert to come to und a couple falls ago

what if kenny G would've stayed....

Also, what if Cam Kuksa hadn't suffered a career-ending injury his true freshman year? He and Reyes would have been quite a tandem at safety.

Also, what if Cam Kuksa hadn't suffered a career-ending injury his true freshman year? He and Reyes would have been quite a tandem at safety.

When I attend practices some days, Cam is there on the sidelines helping out. I always thought it was cool of him to stick around and support the program any way he could.