SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

We've gotten the disappointing news on Rich.  Has anyone heard about the status of Reyes, Anderson, and Smith?  Also, there was a post in the last day or so about Idowu being injured; any truth to that?

Looks like not entirely sure yet:

Reyes still listed at starting safety but we will wait to hear from coach Schweigert on that one

Stats poll has UND at #23 and PSU at #25.  final a poll with some sense.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151005131511028844904

Now that this team has played someone near the top of the poll and someone near the bottom, any thoughts as to where this team really is?

The ac is playing at a different level, but where is that line drawn for the next tier?  Is there a big dropoff after the top five?  Top ten?

Seems to me its after the top five or so.

Now that this team has played someone near the top of the poll and someone near the bottom, any thoughts as to where this team really is?

The ac is playing at a different level, but where is that line drawn for the next tier?  Is there a big dropoff after the top five?  Top ten?

Seems to me its after the top five or so.

Clearly NDSU is top 1 or lowest 3.   Montana was fortunate to play NDSU the first game and their offense was unknown to NDSU.  I would say we are top 20 at this point.  If our defense holds up we could be high with improvement in the offense.  We need to improve every game.

Clearly NDSU is top 1 or lowest 3.   Montana was fortunate to play NDSU the first game and their offense was unknown to NDSU.  I would say we are top 20 at this point.  If our defense holds up we could be high with improvement in the offense.  We need to improve every game.

I've seen JMU and Jacksonville.  Both are high end this year imho.  And we've seen CCU can compete very well too.

Edited by Matt

One K or two KK's. Baker or Bakker.  I'm guessing we will all be confused as to who is playing.  I hope they take a big step forward and make some big stops.

is baker or bakker the fbs kid from new mexico?  haven't heard much about him since the big splash when we got him.

Anyone surprised Olivera isnt getting more carries?  He has shown some pretty good strength on oçcasion.  I like Smith's speed, but wonder how well a 17 year old kid is going to hold up.  Really wish he would have red shirted this year.  If he is out with injuries after just three games, is a medical red shirt an option?

My point was Ira is clearly not able to be objective about a position battle if one of the candidates is from Detroit Lakes. That has been a pattern I have noticed over the years, I just haven't commented on it until now. Otherwise, I think Ira brings a good perspective on the program that the rest of us cannot provide.

I guess I am just sick of people acting like we are 0-5 and struggling instead of 4-1 and improving day by day, week by week. Let's just roll with the punches (good and bad) and enjoy the ride. I actually like the process of building a program as I do the results when the pieces are in place for a title run.

There  is a difference in having a bias and being clearly unable to be objective. I didn't know you were such a great judge of my capabilities. I have recommended kids to the coaching staff over the years and haven't been wrong yet.  Every kid I told them wouldn't play didn't. Every kid I told them could play contributed and except for 2 linebackers whose careers were cut short, by concussions and family responsibilities, started.  The kid they didn't go after started for the Vikings Saturday.  Another kid they talked to but didn't offer, went to UND anyway and walked during spring ball and started 4 years.  Let's not derail this thread. If want to debate you can PM me. Otherwise I wouldn't waste your time or others when this is about the season not my capabilities. I want the kid the best kid to play.  We may disagree on who that is.  

• Upvote 4

Anyone surprised Olivera isnt getting more carries?  He has shown some pretty good strength on oçcasion.  I like Smith's speed, but wonder how well a 17 year old kid is going to hold up.  Really wish he would have red shirted this year.  If he is out with injuries after just three games, is a medical red shirt an option?

I am a little surprised, Olivera looks good with the ball.  Arrington and Smith, not so much.  If everyone is healthy I would scratch Arrington for the year and try Smith at Wide out.  With Olivera getting some carries why not have Santiago available for a jet sweep or two.  We seem to like Norberg in for pass protection but makes me wonder when the Portland St announcers are calling out our pass plays when he is in.  

• Upvote 1

I am a little surprised, Olivera looks good with the ball.  Arrington and Smith, not so much.  If everyone is healthy I would scratch Arrington for the year and try Smith at Wide out.  With Olivera getting some carries why not have Santiago available for a jet sweep or two.  We seem to like Norberg in for pass protection but makes me wonder when the Portland St announcers are calling out our pass plays when he is in.  

Olivera's run when he moved the pile a good 6 yards after mass convention, was kind of the reason I was so pissed about the flea flicker call. Seemed like we could have pounded them over and over with fresh legs like that. I could have a revisionist's history on the tempo at that point, however.

• Upvote 2

Agree.  If you pull a kids redshirt he needs to be good enough to help you. Olivera has shown promise. Smith's speed could be helpful at wideout and multiple sets to get him into space to utilize his speed. We need to play these guys to justify pulling red shirts. Too soon to tell.  They both have shown promise and could help this year if they continue to develop.

There  is a difference in having a bias and being clearly unable to be objective. I didn't know you were such a great judge of my capabilities. I have recommended kids to the coaching staff over the years and haven't been wrong yet.  Every kid I told them wouldn't play didn't. Every kid I told them could play contributed and except for 2 linebackers whose careers were cut short, by concussions and family responsibilities, started.  The kid they didn't go after started for the Vikings Saturday.  Another kid they talked to but didn't offer, went to UND anyway and walked during spring ball and started 4 years.  Let's not derail this thread. If want to debate you can PM me. Otherwise I wouldn't waste your time or others when this is about the season not my capabilities. I want the kid the best kid to play.  We may disagree on who that is.  

Okay, that is fair enough.

This team reminds me of our 2011 squad that was 8-3 and was also our last ranked team. This years team is better almost across the board but they win in similar ways and rely on stout rush defense. That 2011 defense was a lot more opportunistic though, that's something I hope improves as this year goes on because that makes a huge difference.

This team reminds me of our 2011 squad that was 8-3 and was also our last ranked team. This years team is better almost across the board but they win in similar ways and rely on stout rush defense. That 2011 defense was a lot more opportunistic though, that's something I hope improves as this year goes on because that makes a huge difference.

The 2011 team also had one of the softest schedules in program history. I don't think that team wins at Portland State last weekend.

• Upvote 2

play a little what if for this season..

what if muss could have gotten wentz to play here instead of at the ac

what if muss could have gotten joe schobert to come to und a couple falls ago

what if kenny G would've stayed....

Was there a chance of Wentz? Obviously ND kid but didn't know if he has NDSU written all over him. Anyways those are nice pieces but it may still have Muss here and for that I think we are better off where we are now. 

Was there a chance of Wentz? Obviously ND kid but didn't know if he has NDSU written all over him. Anyways those are nice pieces but it may still have Muss here and for that I think we are better off where we are now. 

I agree about muss he should have been let go immediately following either the Sioux falls game (the first or def the rematch) or the sodak game...just saying that just a couple more guys on this team and we are talking more than just making the playoffs...wentz at qb (studs holding a clipboard learning from him) with georges and golloday at wr and ratelle and schobert in the middle on def with bubba and eric's attack def...what could have been...

I agree about muss he should have been let go immediately following either the Sioux falls game (the first or def the rematch) or the sodak game...just saying that just a couple more guys on this team and we are talking more than just making the playoffs...wentz at qb (studs holding a clipboard learning from him) with georges and golloday at wr and ratelle and schobert in the middle on def with bubba and eric's attack def...what could have been...

I guess that was one of Mussman's problems, he didn't recruit the right kids. He focused too much on out-of-staters and the almighty Tale of the Tape. There wasn't enough focus on character, work ethic, attitude, etc. That is just one area where Bubba is light years ahead of Mussman.