SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

9 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

It’s already been said but the thing that makes no sense is that the one side is completely blocked off and there are many empty chairs. With how many media people actually sit there they only need 1/4 of the space they have on that catwalk.

They need zero seats for how many media people need to sit there

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Interesting he called the Alerus an FBS facility. 

39 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I didn’t catch that. Maybe he just actually doesn’t know ;) or could it be a Freudian slip? Doubtful. 

I went and listened and he did say "FBS". Makes you wonder, just comparing facilities to "top tier", just thinking aloud, as someone said "Freudian" maybe, still, interesting ... 

Before some jump all over this saying "too small!", the much beloved SHSU Bearkats are going FBS in 2023 with a stadium presently rated to hold ... 12,593. The Al is 12,283 for football. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I went and listened and he did say "FBS". Makes you wonder, just comparing facilities to "top tier", just thinking aloud, as someone said "Freudian" maybe, still, interesting ... 

Before some jump all over this saying "too small!", the much beloved SHSU Bearkats are going FBS in 2023 with a stadium presently rated to hold ... 12,593. The Al is 12,283 for football. 

With SRO and a few field level seats easily get to 13,500

6 minutes ago, Kab said:

With SRO and a few field level seats easily get to 13,500

Not sure how it would work from a structure standpoint, but I would think you could still have standing room at the railing and building some sort of elevated stands/seating above the rest of the walk way. 

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I feel like there is quite a bit of room in one of the end zone walk ways if not both. Can't imagine they wouldn't explore this if they truly wanted to add some seats.

Otherwise, I'm just waiting for that Engelstad like donor to come in and build an amazing on campus stadium :)

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure how it would work from a structure standpoint, but I would think you could still have standing room at the railing and building some sort of elevated stands/seating above the rest of the walk way. 

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I feel like there is quite a bit of room in one of the end zone walk ways if not both. Can't imagine they wouldn't explore this if they truly wanted to add some seats.

Otherwise, I'm just waiting for that Engelstad like donor to come in and build an amazing on campus stadium :)

We were close but the guy was a pedafile

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

No disagreement at all.

So you heard what you wanted to hear.
I'm also guessing that yes, if you took the time to have an actual conversation instead of interpreting things over the airwaves, you would get a better explanation. Because you can ask follow-up questions and request for them to go more in-depth. It's Conversing 101.

I get some sort of strange enjoyment when once out of every 20 tries, you finally hit on a topic that gets people riled up and get to sit back and keep stirring the pot.

Yeah, it's kind of funny how gfhockey espouses the "one of us" theme, yet he was completely in Chaves' corner when the AD position was available.  He certainly was squarely against the "one of us" candidate, Mannasau!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Where did you find the interview to listen. I would like to listen to it.

2 hours ago, N of GF said:

Beer Grandma has to be the dumbest controversy to ever come up in these pages. Why is it so important to you to see an old lady take a drink of beer? Why is it a surprise to you that in a time when a ton of attention is paid to binge drinking and underage drinking that a bunch of teetotalers would piss and moan about Beer Grandma and the Ralph would get tired of hearing about it and just stop doing it?

I don't recall; did anyone ever ask Beer Grandma? Maybe she got tired of it and asked them to stop? 

So they would never stop doing something the people enjoyed, unless the people were consuming alcohol.

I think they said that's leftover from the Covid era. The idea was to keep the two media groups separated? Now Tom Miller points out there is plenty of room in the box and people here add it to the conspiracy. The original idea wasn't about needing space in the press box, it was about keeping the visitors away from the townies. 

Why are you searching so hard for excuses.  It was a combination of a bad idea and COVID.  COVID is over and it's time to move past the bad idea.  It doesn't need to be a big deal, they just need to fix it by going back to doing nothing.  It's incredibly easy.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Again, if UND could have a collective athletic department that was unified in wanting to reach national prominence, and not more preoccupied with internal conflict (hockey vs other sports, nickname controversy, etc.) than competitive success, then I think UND athletics as a whole could be “high profile”. 

Unfortunately, and it is very unfortunate, all those with “little man syndrome” have a hard time with that vision. 

It’s obvious this is not just a UND issue, but also a greater Grand Forks cultural issue. 

The athletic department is fine staying niche and letting our hockey program take the lead. Sad thing it our hockey program can’t take us any higher so I guess that must be the goal….

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

And I was wondering if the usual suspects would find a way to get all worked up and shout into the abyss without actually doing anything about it or working to find out actual details on their own. Guess we both delivered!

The logistics of year 2 are different than year 1, so it did evolve. And I explained exactly why they aren't changing it mid-year, they've already sold some of the inventory. Doing that would be an actual crock of $hit. 

How many have they sold? They must not have sold enough because they already changed the pricing to $50 a game. Why not make it smaller or open it back up at least on one side? 

3 hours ago, N of GF said:

I think they said that's leftover from the Covid era. The idea was to keep the two media groups separated? Now Tom Miller points out there is plenty of room in the box and people here add it to the conspiracy. The original idea wasn't about needing space in the press box, it was about keeping the visitors away from the townies. 

If that’s the case the one end should be opened up at the next game. Covid is over and no one is using it. Sounds pretty simple to me!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, N of GF said:

So, without the snark; Yes, there are multiple rows of chairs.

Thank you, I missed that detail. Seems like a bar rail with a set number of ticketed seats would be the ideal solution. Maybe next year.

I suppose people could politely make suggestions to decision makers at UND and the Alerus. 

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Why are you searching so hard for excuses.  It was a combination of a bad idea and COVID.  COVID is over and it's time to move past the bad idea.  It doesn't need to be a big deal, they just need to fix it by going back to doing nothing.  It's incredibly easy.

Looks like you and I were basically in agreement 22 hours ago, yet you and others keep quoting and arguing with me.

You can't call it a conspiracy to purposely piss off fans for having fun and then hours later say what you just said in this quote... unless I've helped you change your mind. Because that was my argument. You're welcome. :p

BTW, just yesterday Dr. "I am the Science" said that Covid isn't over. There are still people out there that are hanging on to it. Maybe the staff at the Al just wanted to be prepared for the worst. They certainly don't deserve what has been called for here.

Beer Grandma has to be the dumbest controversy to ever come up in these pages. Why is it so important to you to see an old lady take a drink of beer? Why is it a surprise to you that in a time when a ton of attention is paid to binge drinking and underage drinking that a bunch of teetotalers would piss and moan about Beer Grandma and the Ralph would get tired of hearing about it and just stop doing it?

I don't recall; did anyone ever ask Beer Grandma? Maybe she got tired of it and asked them to stop? 

So now we can blame Eric for taking down beer grandma too! Sounds like we need to start sending in some freedom of information act requests and let all of this air out!

And if anyone except beer grandma herself shut her down people shoulD really be ashamed. Binge drinking at UND was bad before and after beer grandma. What a joke to think she has anything to do with influencing drinking!

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So now we can blame Eric for taking down beer grandma too! Sounds like we need to start sending in some freedom of information act requests and let all of this air out!

And if anyone except beer grandma herself shut her down people shoulD really be ashamed. Binge drinking at UND was bad before and after beer grandma. What a joke to think she has anything to do with influencing drinking!

As for the first paragraph, maybe you should find a strain of weed that doesn't cause so much paranoia.

The second paragraph, there absolutely were people yelling about the "imagery" and "sending the wrong message", and I agree with you that those arguments were completely out of touch with reality regarding the "Beer Grandma" thing.

36 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Looks like you and I were basically in agreement 22 hours ago, yet you and others keep quoting and arguing with me.

You can't call it a conspiracy to purposely piss off fans for having fun and then hours later say what you just said in this quote... unless I've helped you change your mind. Because that was my argument. You're welcome. :p

BTW, just yesterday Dr. "I am the Science" said that Covid isn't over. There are still people out there that are hanging on to it. Maybe the staff at the Al just wanted to be prepared for the worst. They certainly don't deserve what has been called for here.

Going out of your way to defend the Alerus.  Hmmmm...

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Going out of your way to defend the Alerus.  Hmmmm...

:ohmy: :lol:

LOL. You guys have worn me down. I'm done with this one.

For the record, I do not currently, nor have I ever in my life identified as a person named Eric, nor have I ever been an employee of Alerus, or any of its subsidiaries, or sports arenas bearing its name.

4 hours ago, N of GF said:

You seem fun.

• Like 1

I personally love standing on the catwalk, though I don't every home game I attend. I love the upgraded look with the lighting, etc. but the ability to smack talk the opponents with the rowdy bunch that stood up there outweighs the new look. I think the fans up there got in the heads of opponents quite often. 

That said, I think there's probably a contract in place with the sponsor (Peterson?) that prevents a quick change from happening and UND from saying they're going to make a change.