SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

54 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I wondered how long it would take you to call me out for expressing an opinion you don't like. It's one of your favorite hobbies. :silly: Anyway, back to the topic at hand.........

He basically said if you don't like it, pay the money so you can sit there. I know how to read between the lines and I know what a crock of horse$%!@ is when I see it, hear it and smell it. He also said it isn't changing, so they are obviously not responding to the empty seats. Btw, this is Year 2 of this failed experiment. You know what the definition of insanity is, right?

If the real reason is safety of the spectators, then just come out and say it. Don't talk to people like they are stupid. As I said, this is something you try after you sell out your home games. Not before.

And I was wondering if the usual suspects would find a way to get all worked up and shout into the abyss without actually doing anything about it or working to find out actual details on their own. Guess we both delivered!

The logistics of year 2 are different than year 1, so it did evolve. And I explained exactly why they aren't changing it mid-year, they've already sold some of the inventory. Doing that would be an actual crock of $hit. 

31 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And I was wondering if the usual suspects would find a way to get all worked up and shout into the abyss without actually doing anything about it or working to find out actual details on their own. Guess we both delivered!

The logistics of year 2 are different than year 1, so it did evolve. And I explained exactly why they aren't changing it mid-year, they've already sold some of the inventory. Doing that would be an actual crock of $hit. 

People are trying to do things about it. The athletic department went on the radio because of fans bring it up. They just threw out a political alphabet soup talking points and said the same word 30x to make it sound like they were doing something. If year 1 to year 2 is “evolving” I’d hate to see how year 3 is. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Irish said:

"evolve" - sounds like a weasel word to me.

It's the word you use when you're locked into contracts for this season but can change in the future. 

It's a word that means it can't happen quickly. 

So yeah, it comes off as a dodge. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

People are trying to do things about it. The athletic department went on the radio because of fans bring it up. They just threw out a political alphabet soup talking points and said the same word 30x to make it sound like they were doing something. If year 1 to year 2 is “evolving” I’d hate to see how year 3 is. 

Hopefully positive.

But they aren't going to (can't) make a change after 1 game. Some of that inventory is sold. If they get less interest than anticipated for the season, I'd absolutely expect another change. 

They are literally trying new things and working on ways to generate new revenue. They've shifted (between seasons) as they've seen what has (has not!) worked. This is literally what people, in general, have been asking for. Is every idea going to work year 1? Or year 2? Absolutely not. But at least they are trying.

The visiting media thing is interesting and probably at least partially goes back some to covid stuff. I would be curious what visiting media is using it and how much room they need. If accurate, other than maybe MooU, I can't see a need for more than a small portion of the catwalk that would need to be blocked off for them. Definitely not half or all of one side.

Just now, N of GF said:

What, specifically, were you told when you contacted the appropriate employees at Alerus or UND? 

EM told us on the radio. In so many words. And if you really believe you would get a better explanation from someone at the Alerus Center or UND, you are kidding yourself. They'll give you a version of the same talking points we were given on the radio. That is how you dodge a difficult question you don't want to answer. It's Politics 101.

I'm not completely buying the "visiting media" part of the answer. Why wasn't this an issue before?

Does the MVFC get that much more coverage that they need more desk space than what is in the press box?

There has always been cameras on the catwalks so it's not that. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So put up theater ropes and take down the curtains.

Could even go a step further since after homecoming all the seats sold on the rail for for the remaining homegames are in adjoining seats. Pull the remaining chairs and rope off the sold seats as their own section.

On the "media end" they could just put up a curtain and a table for the 5-6 seats that actually get used.

#problemsolved #atmospherreturned #cosultantfeewaived #youarewelcome

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not completely buying the "visiting media" part of the answer. Why wasn't this an issue before?

Does the MVFC get that much more coverage that they need more desk space than what is in the press box?

I don’t buy it because UND media/local media have directly said there is all kinds of room around them in the press box. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think they said that's leftover from the Covid era. The idea was to keep the two media groups separated? Now Tom Miller points out there is plenty of room in the box and people here add it to the conspiracy. The original idea wasn't about needing space in the press box, it was about keeping the visitors away from the townies. 

Beer Grandma has to be the dumbest controversy to ever come up in these pages. Why is it so important to you to see an old lady take a drink of beer? Why is it a surprise to you that in a time when a ton of attention is paid to binge drinking and underage drinking that a bunch of teetotalers would piss and moan about Beer Grandma and the Ralph would get tired of hearing about it and just stop doing it?

I don't recall; did anyone ever ask Beer Grandma? Maybe she got tired of it and asked them to stop? 

• Downvote 4

44 minutes ago, petey23 said:

So put up theater ropes and take down the curtains.

Could even go a step further since after homecoming all the seats sold on the rail for for the remaining homegames are in adjoining seats. Pull the remaining chairs and rope off the sold seats as their own section.

On the "media end" they could just put up a curtain and a table for the 5-6 seats that actually get used.

#problemsolved #atmospherreturned #cosultantfeewaived #youarewelcome

No disagreement at all.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

EM told us on the radio. In so many words. And if you really believe you would get a better explanation from someone at the Alerus Center or UND, you are kidding yourself. They'll give you a version of the same talking points we were given on the radio. That is how you dodge a difficult question you don't want to answer. It's Politics 101.

So you heard what you wanted to hear.
I'm also guessing that yes, if you took the time to have an actual conversation instead of interpreting things over the airwaves, you would get a better explanation. Because you can ask follow-up questions and request for them to go more in-depth. It's Conversing 101.

24 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Chaves and company must think we are pawns and don’t care about the people paying their salaries

I get some sort of strange enjoyment when once out of every 20 tries, you finally hit on a topic that gets people riled up and get to sit back and keep stirring the pot.

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

I think they said that's leftover from the Covid era. The idea was to keep the two media groups separated? Now Tom Miller points out there is plenty of room in the box and people here add it to the conspiracy. The original idea wasn't about needing space in the press box, it was about keeping the visitors away from the townies. 

The Northern Iowa media and SID folk were in the main press box