SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

It’s called marketing 

when I went to look at the champions club employees yesterday it took me to a UND site and listed all the employees in different sports

it still had Travis Brewster as head coach.

that should be updated or taken down, lazy on UNDs part

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Kab said:

It’s called marketing 

when I went to look at the champions club employees yesterday it took me to a UND site and listed all the employees in different sports

But that would involve "spending other people's money", and that is just plain wrong. :silly:

8 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

It clearly takes more than having a great home winning record.. I think its all about consistently winning games and regularly making a run in the playoffs.  Even the Fargodome was half empty before the bison started their Championship runs in the last decade.

UND could do some pretty easy things to improve the game day experience.. i.e

• improve the sound system.. it was totally embarrassing yesterday.. every time the ref tried to talk the feedback was so bad you couldn't hardly hear what he said. 
  • Have some decent merchandise for sale at the game.. We had friends with us at the game yesterday and they wanted to buy some UND gear and what was available was not great.
  • Maybe dont screw up all of the timing for the intro video and team entrance

Maybe send a couple marketing reps down south about 75 miles.. they seem to be able to figure out the things above on gameday.

Overall, the stuff listed above would improve things around the margins and keep the current fanbase more interested..  I think it will take playing meaningful football in December/January on a regular basis to truely attract more fans.

I agree with all of this. UND needs to actually be committed to improve this, which, dare we say it, requires them to put their money where their mouth is …

Spend some actual money on football and you will grow as a university, UND. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

It’s called marketing 

Agreed, a major part of the problem is laziness.

3 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

UND seems to do everything on tight budget when it comes to football, apparel is lame regardless of the hawk logo. They haven't put a decent hat out in 10 years. String lights and black curtains. Need I say more

Ya, it's tough.

And by the way, we play pretty tough in the Hawks' Nest, get n da W's.
MVFC message boards are noticing what's happening in our House.

I know this has been brought up ad nauseum after many games and concerts, but the beer/concessions line situation at the Alerus is unacceptable. The Chris Stapleton concert seemed particularly egregious, but a well-attended football game is almost as bad. I'm not even sure what the fix is as the concourses quickly become almost impassable due to all the queueing. It didn't help at Stapleton that (apparently at the request of the artist to avoid empty cans being filled with water and thrown...) every can of beer or seltzer had to be poured into a plastic cup and each station was staffed by one employee. I felt bad for those folks as they were clearly doing their best in a tough situation. Anyway...rant over.

Is it just me or has the concession/bathroom lines gotten ridiculous on the east side? I don't feel like it was this bad in years past and I think attendance is similar. Is there any difference in the west(student) side from previous years? Used to watch from catwalk so maybe I was always able to beat the crowd. 

1 hour ago, SkoHawks said:

Is it just me or has the concession/bathroom lines gotten ridiculous on the east side? I don't feel like it was this bad in years past and I think attendance is similar. Is there any difference in the west(student) side from previous years? Used to watch from catwalk so maybe I was always able to beat the crowd. 

West side fan here.
Concessions/bathrooms overwhelmed with large crowds, and for FB we've only had one capacity crowd in years.
Alerus will have even longer lines when UND FB wins on the road like they do at home.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

They used to have more portable kiosks selling beer 

sales must be down with the increase in prices

Or they are having a harder time staffing what they do have.
Jobs like that are very part time and plenty of people used it for some extra discretionary income. Post-covid, it has become harder and harder to find people to fill the need. It is an unfortunate reality.

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Or they are having a harder time staffing what they do have.
Jobs like that are very part time and plenty of people used it for some extra discretionary income. Post-covid, it has become harder and harder to find people to fill the need. It is an unfortunate reality.

Yes -  I'm sure at the Stapleton show if they could have had 2 or 3 staff at each station they would have. Very unfortunate but we're seeing it everywhere now.