SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen4sioux

took urban meyer three years to win a natty...some guys just have it...some don't

Jeff Jackson won 2 in his first 4 years.  It was pretty obvious, even back then, that he'd win those 7 national titles over his 20+ year career.  Oh, wait....

His assistant coaches do most of the recruiting. Brad Berry is always on the recruiting trail.

Just like Hak did a lot of the recruiting for Blais. Hak is an excellent coach. Fans need to keep pressure on. Hak and the program to win the next title . He will do it. There is a reason he has earned the respect of his peers and the entire NHL community for his talents. He has this team playing well and we are again one of the top teams in the country. Amazing we have rubes calling for his head. Likely the same folks pressuring their local school boards to get a new coach cuz their kid doesn't get enough playing time. My expectations for the program is an annual trip to the frozen four and at least 2 more national titles in the next 8yrs. I think we have the coaching staff in place to accomplish this.

Just like Hak did a lot of the recruiting for Blais. Hak is an excellent coach. Fans need to keep pressure on. Hak and the program to win the next title . He will do it. There is a reason he has earned the respect of his peers and the entire NHL community for his talents. He has this team playing well and we are again one of the top teams in the country. Amazing we have rubes calling for his head. Likely the same folks pressuring their local school boards to get a new coach cuz their kid doesn't get enough playing time. My expectations for the program is an annual trip to the frozen four and at least 2 more national titles in the next 8yrs. I think we have the coaching staff in place to accomplish this.

hak has been part of a hockey team for probably the last thirty years and as much as i can see he has NEVER won any sort of championship at any level ever so why do you think he's gonna pull off two national titles runs in the next eight years...especially since every hak lover points out just how hard it is now to win nt's and how every bounce has to go your way and not to run into "hot goalies" around tourney time?

hak has been part of a hockey team for probably the last thirty years and as much as i can see he has NEVER won any sort of championship at any level ever so why do you think he's gonna pull off two national titles runs in the next eight years...especially since every hak lover points out just how hard it is now to win nt's and how every bounce has to go your way and not to run into "hot goalies" around tourney time?

by your logical it wouldn't be haks fault he didn't win a national championship as a player, it would be his coaches fault.

red berenson has been at michigan for 30 years and only won 2 national championships. it took jerry york 12 years to win his first national championship as a coach and than another 17 to win his next one. 

• Upvote 2

by your logical it wouldn't be haks fault he didn't win a national championship as a player, it would be his coaches fault.

red berenson has been at michigan for 30 years and only won 2 national championships. it took jerry york 12 years to win his first national championship as a coach and than another 17 to win his next one.

Not calling for his head, but is this year 11 or 12 for Hakstol?

Of all the discussion about firing Hakstol, very rarely are there informed and knowledgeable observations what, exactly, it is about his coaching that falls below the standard.  If would have no problem firing Hakstol or any other coach if I were convinced his actual coaching was below par and there was an other candidate who would probably coach better and who would come to UND.   A fourth-grader who can count to one but who has never seen a hockey game can make a loud argument that Hakstol should be fired because he hasn't won a single title.   

People can make the argument that the proof is in the pudding, and it is.  But I'd like to see a reasoned discussion about what he is doing on and off the ice with his teams that makes him a liability.   I know we all tend to start with a result then build reasons to compliment or criticize the performance, but at least then there is some reasoning--not simply a reaction to frustration.   I've wondered aloud whether Hak's game-coaching skills were up to his obvious program coaching skills, and I'd still like to see some proof that he has reached a top level in that area.   But I'm not really knowledgeable about college hockey coaching, and I'd like to see others address it.,   But the conversation usually doesn't go that far.   It gets hung up at the banner count level, which is kind of mindless, IMO. 

Being a Sioux hockey fan has given me a lot of watching pleasure over the last 10 years.   We've been consistently in the hunt like few other programs.   Very few.  Something very good is being done by both players and coaches.   I'd like to see number 8 too, but winning one is not going to be the sole and only reason I support keeping or firing the head coach. 

Hwo meny nattys he git?

;)

I'm in the same boat as you.  Disappointed we haven't won a nat'l championship with Hak, but the team has consistently been solid with him at the helm.

Save your breath, siouxkid12, this had all been said before. Same thing with Jack Parker. A 13-OT loss in the NCAA title game this spring will still fuel some people in their desire to label Hakstol a failure.

If anything other than 2-3 .500 seasons does Hakstol in at UND, I hope he goes on to win multiple NCAA championships...at Minnesota.

Who recruits haks playas

This is where I think the GOBC could do some real good.  I know a lot of important stuff is hashed over while eating a Trucker's Special at the I-29, but I really wonder how much possible recruits are talked about.  From what I've heard, there's no doubt in my mind that the GOBC has the resources to bring in some quality players which would have a REAL impact on the program.

Save your breath, siouxkid12, this had all been said before. Same thing with Jack Parker. A 13-OT loss in the NCAA title game this spring will still fuel some people in their desire to label Hakstol a failure.

If anything other than 2-3 .500 seasons does Hakstol in at UND, I hope he goes on to win multiple NCAA championships...at Minnesota.

Ugh. I just threw up. Seriously, guys. We have one of the best.

• Upvote 1

Of all the discussion about firing Hakstol, very rarely are there informed and knowledgeable observations what, exactly, it is about his coaching that falls below the standard.  If would have no problem firing Hakstol or any other coach if I were convinced his actual coaching was below par and there was an other candidate who would probably coach better and who would come to UND.   A fourth-grader who can count to one but who has never seen a hockey game can make a loud argument that Hakstol should be fired because he hasn't won a single title.   

People can make the argument that the proof is in the pudding, and it is.  But I'd like to see a reasoned discussion about what he is doing on and off the ice with his teams that makes him a liability.   I know we all tend to start with a result then build reasons to compliment or criticize the performance, but at least then there is some reasoning--not simply a reaction to frustration.   I've wondered aloud whether Hak's game-coaching skills were up to his obvious program coaching skills, and I'd still like to see some proof that he has reached a top level in that area.   But I'm not really knowledgeable about college hockey coaching, and I'd like to see others address it.,   But the conversation usually doesn't go that far.   It gets hung up at the banner count level, which is kind of mindless, IMO. 

Being a Sioux hockey fan has given me a lot of watching pleasure over the last 10 years.   We've been consistently in the hunt like few other programs.   Very few.  Something very good is being done by both players and coaches.   I'd like to see number 8 too, but winning one is not going to be the sole and only reason I support keeping or firing the head coach. 

This is the best post I've read on this in a while. 

This is where I think the GOBC could do some real good.  I know a lot of important stuff is hashed over while eating a Trucker's Special at the I-29, but I really wonder how much possible recruits are talked about.  From what I've heard, there's no doubt in my mind that the GOBC has the resources to bring in some quality players which would have a REAL impact on the program.

Fire tGOBC? Simple question.

People always seem to forget that little nugget about these two legendary coaches!  Red hasn't won a title in 17 years and has missed the tournament the last 2!  I wonder how many posts are on the "Fire Red" thread on the Michigan fan site?! 

Who recruited Blais' "playas" when Blais was here. (Hint: His top assistant.) 

Agreed, his assistants did a lot of work but let's not kid ourselves.  Blais laid the foundation.  Blais's network is so far reaching and he actually recruited pretty much all his top recruits.  Did his assistants make runs of him?  Sure.  But Blais pulled the kids, not his assistants.

On a side note, this thread is ridiculous.  Hak isn't going anywhere nor should he at the moment.

I guess it all comes down to the question - is there an intangible that winning coaches and teams have that help them win championships or are we just on the bad end of a 1-6 dice streak?  

Hak was givin a golden ticket

Blais built the program from nothing and still won two nattys

#butparity

How many national titles did the program win before Blais was head coach?  How many did the previous coach win?  The program wasn't nothing when he was hired, it was just in a down cycle.  If he could magically build a program from nothing he would have won a title in Omaha by now.