SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen4sioux

Memories of being and witnessing a championship in person with my best friends will last a lifetime. More I can get of those the better. I wont remember the "oh we competed. Theres always next year."

I'll always remember flying to Denver with my daughter for the F4 only to realize the shot to claim #8 was out of reach after 9 minutes into the game vs BC......yet I remember very little else from that season...minus the Kozek goal to get UND there.

There was also the UNH goal with less than a second in regulation...only to lose in a minute plus into OT.

And .6!

Oh the memories............should I continue?

• Upvote 1

Is it about bragging rights?  I want to win a title every year too, but I really get entertained by the fact that we have a chance to win every game, are pursuing that title every year, and have something fun to watch on most weekend nights.  The journey is better than the destination- just like life...

What is one natty win worth in terms of entertainment value?  To me personally, it is still one single game- maybe I revel in it for a second day and get to brag about 8 being more than 5, but really, its one game...

....I really want to see another natty :)

Sandy

Tippet

I'm willing to bet the Gobc could get a bigger boat for someone down south the other one we got him must be old by now

Eades

Plenty of names

I bet other big names would apply too for the salary we pay

Tippet or johnson are the only other two guys I would want to see coach UND.  Tippet would never happen though.

I'll always remember flying to Denver with my daughter for the F4 only to realize the shot to claim #8 was out of reach after 9 minutes into the game vs BC......yet I remember very little else from that season...minus the Kozek goal to get UND there.There was also the UNH goal with less than a second in regulation...only to lose in a minute plus into OT.And .6!Oh the memories............should I continue?

Watching UND win a championship in person is #1 on my bucket list I have yet to

accomplish. After the disappointment of St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Columbus. I vowed only to go to championship games and not just Frozen Fours. Has saved me a lot of time and money skipping Denver and Philadelphia. St. Paul was an easy one to watch UND lose again in the semifinals. Watching a full arena of UND fans win a championship was a dream shattered in that beautiful St Paul evening (and not even to the eventual champs.)

Watching UND win a championship in person is #1 on my bucket list I have yet to

accomplish. After the disappointment of St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Columbus. I vowed only to go to championship games and not just Frozen Fours. Has saved me a lot of time and money skipping Denver and Philadelphia. St. Paul was an easy one to watch UND lose again in the semifinals. Watching a full arena of UND fans win a championship was a dream shattered in that beautiful St Paul evening (and not even to the eventual champs.)

I'm sure you're a good guy to have a few pops and watch a game with, Cratter, but I've never read all that information below your sig line.  Sure explains the need you have to win another banner and the boasting value it would give you. 

I'll always remember flying to Denver with my daughter for the F4 only to realize the shot to claim #8 was out of reach after 9 minutes into the game vs BC......yet I remember very little else from that season...minus the Kozek goal to get UND there.

There was also the UNH goal with less than a second in regulation...only to lose in a minute plus into OT.

And .6!

Oh the memories............should I continue?

It reminds me....lots of comments about Hak not making game changes and losses because of that. But a very vivid memory for me is the FF game in St. Paul. Actually one particular moment in the game - there was a Sioux player 15 feet right in front of the net all alone with the puck and shot and missed the net by at least a foot. The point is the players need to make plays to win games like that! For those that don't remember, we lost 1-0 (OK 2-0 with the ENG). The player that missed the shot? Matt Frattin.

Memories of being and witnessing a championship in person with my best friends will last a lifetime. More I can get of those the better. I wont remember the "oh we competed. Theres always next year."

On my death bed, I will not remember anything related to my athletic fandom of SIoux hockey...wins or not...nattys or not...

I want to enjoy the ride every year.  When I start not enjoying the ride, it will be due to an inferior on-ice product.  Hak has not won the biggest game, but rarely have I thought the product was inferior and not fun to watch- when that happens (as it did at the end of Gino's era)- then it will be time to replace.

I might not love Hak's breakout or some of his approach, but I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the product he puts on the ice.  No Natty does not mean no success to this fan. 

• Upvote 1

Can't there be a topic that is not Fire Hak, but "Come On Hak, Get It Done"?   - How you view the frozen 4 determines how you feel about Hak.  If you think it is just a random crapshoot with each team having roughly a 1/4 chance of winning and Hak just having 1-6 bad luck then you think Hak is one of the greatest coaches ever for getting there often.  If you think that something else seperates winners - the type of prep, the game strategy for your opponent, the will to win, in game adjustments, motivation,  or just winning athletes playing their best when the pressure is on, then you have to be a little frustrated with our 1-6 record in the frozen 4.  It pains me greatly to say it, but by God, when the Bison needed a touchdown and had to the length of the field to do it in under 2 minutes, they found a way to get it done (and have for 4 years).  I hope Hak grows as a coach and figures it out because I am getting frustrated.  Our best overachieving frozen four was marred by a .6 goal.  We used to do that to the other guys.  Time to get it done.  

There are two schools of thought on adjustments-

1.  Make adjustments based on what the opposition is giving you

2.  Do not make adjustments, keep playing "your game" 

The best game coaches know how to flex those 2.  Hak is still growing in that capability IMO

Winning the big game requires that you get the absolute best from everybody for sixty minutes when it matters most.  I think the most important character in that play is the goaltender.  We often talk about Blais' offensive build out and attacking with unmatched speed.  Blais is also known for being a mindbender on goalies...really messing with their psyche.  Our achilles heal during our best opportunities under Hak was the play of our tenders...think BC...

Sandy

Tippet

I'm willing to bet the Gobc could get a bigger boat for someone down south the other one we got him must be old by now

Eades

Plenty of names

I bet other big names would apply too for the salary we pay

Tippet isn't coming to Grand Forks, don't care how delusional you and your "GOBC" are...

I love all the couch coaches and couch AD's that are on here. If coaching hockey and winning championships, why isn't everyone doing it?

Because this is a fan forum - it is designed for "couch coaches" as you call them to express their opinions.  If comparing a current coach to his two immediate predecessors is now out of bounds it isn't much of a fan forum.  The real tragedy will occur when Sioux hockey fans stop demanding championships and settle for just being a "good" team.

• Upvote 1