SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen4sioux

You're privy to some highly important info there. I must have missed something. What did he do to warrant a suspension? I'll hang up and listen.

I was pinged on Twitter. gfhockey was given a two-week suspension for some comments that he made. The moderators apparently took issue with them and he was given a penalty. He did want me to pass the message along.

I was pinged on Twitter. gfhockey was given a two-week suspension for some comments that he made. The moderators apparently took issue with them and he was given a penalty. He did want me to pass the message along.

Didn't realize you two...or three...or four...or five...or six...were besties.

• Upvote 1

:bigsmile: 

Goon = %GOBC??   :bigsmile:

• Upvote 1

I don't make the claim that UND or Hak has had bad luck in the Frozen Fours, certainly not any more or less than anyone else.

My take on those Frozen Fours is this. 

In 2005 (Denver) and 2014 (Minnesota) I thought Hak did a masterful job of preparing his team to play a superior opponent.  In both instances I thought UND outplayed the opponent, but they didn't win.  That happens.

In 2011 I thought we were the best team, and were clearly better than Michigan.  But again, I have no complaint about how the team performed or how the staff prepared them.

I thought in 2007 and in 2008 we were probably pretty evenly matched against our opponents, but I don't think the UND staff did as good a job getting the team ready to play.  We had a great team in 2006, but they simply made too many mistakes in that game.

No question it's been disappointing UND hasn't won a title since 2000.  There are a lot of people, myself included, who think UND's best team during that timeframe was the 2003-04 team coached by Blais that also failed to win a title.

But the reasons I cut Hak some slack are these.  First, his teams have always been "in the hunt."  That is, there has not been a time where we didn't make the tournament, and furthermore weren't considered one of the few dangerous teams left in that tournament, while he has been coach.

Second, I think he is as good as anyone in developing a team over the course of a season.  To take a group of individuals and make them perform at a higher level as a team, not just a collection of individuals.

Third, I think he gets a lot out of each player.  UND has always had very talented players come through the program, but let's be candid.  The talent level that we see now as compared with the years of Parise, Toews, Oshie, etc..., is not the same.  But he is able to take late additions like Gaarder, Pattyn, etc..., and turn them into useful team players.

Fourth, Hak has had some obstacles that have come up during his tenure that were more substantial than what either Blais or Gasparini dealt with, most not of his doing.  Some late season defections of very talented commits, the top rated freshman bolting last year mid-season, some key injuries to guys like Toews, Genoway, Grimaldi, Kristo, O'Donnell, Gregoire.  Every coach has to deal with those things.  But they certainly make it less likely all the pieces come together for a title.

REALLY? ??? REALLY!!!!!!!!!

I bet Matt Greene, Rastivslav Spirko, Brady Murray, Travis Zajac, Drew Stafford, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, and Colby Genoway would disagree with line?

I bet Matt Greene, Rastivslav Spirko, Brady Murray, Travis Zajac, Drew Stafford, Chris Porter, Matt Smaby, and Colby Genoway would disagree with line?

My heart agrees with you, but the full body of work for those seasons say Denver and MN were "superior" if only by their record/ranking. Denver was also coming off a surprise national title the year before with a team that most consider better in all areas of the game than their 03/04 team. 

Last year, despite the loss, UND played its best game of the year against MN. I was a very proud fan.

• Upvote 1

My heart agrees with you, but the full body of work for those seasons say Denver and MN were "superior" if only by their record/ranking. Denver was also coming off a surprise national title the year before with a team that most consider better in all areas of the game than their 03/04 team. 

Last year, despite the loss, UND played its best game of the year against MN. I was a very proud fan.

I was proud of their effort too against the goofs...  outplayed a superior team for most of the game.  Just no puck luck.  All that lucky win did for the gophers though is earn them another @$$ kicking in the championship game.

I don't care what the reasons are, his title record speaks for itself. But, someone pointed out the talent level hasn't been the same as the Parise, Toews, Oshie years.

Why not? What's keeping that from happening?

I think, in general, a lot of blue chip players have been going to Canadian Major Juniors.

i.e. Gropp, Miller, Jones etc.

Well, Denver was 4-0 against us that season, with exactly zero games played in Denver, so there's that.  They also had the best player in the nation that year, were the defending champs, had probably the best goaltender, and were laden with upperclassmen.  Greene, Zajac and Stafford have had nice NHL careers, and Porter is getting his shot.  But Stastny, Carle and Skinner haven't fared too poorly either.

• Upvote 2

Last year, despite the loss, UND played its best game of the year against MN. I was a very proud fan of the Gophers.

FYP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...