SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

$500,000 NCHC admission fee.  So assuming the NCHC takes 2 teams at some point, that's $1 million for the league (with approx. $40,000 used for vetting expenses of new teams).  Anyone know if that would be distributed to the current members or would the league retain it for future investment/expenses?

Currently, the NCHC collects money from each of the schools to pay for the costs of the refs.  That is something the NCHC wants to eventually take in-house so it's less of a burden on the schools.  I'd imagine the money would go towards that.

Additionally, there is the potential to create a new full-time position that focuses on marketing and sales.  That would allow Fenton to add some new projects instead of being so focused on negotiation those contracts himself.

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

If I'm not mistaken Arizona State and the NCHC didn't have to release the letter if they didn't want to. 

Don't know Arizona law, but being that Denver and CC are private schools NCHC business is not subject to FOIA. (That's why most major conferences keep at least one private amongst their large publics; see, Northwestern of the B1G, or Vanderbilt of the SEC, or Stanford of the PAC12.) 

Well AZ St still needs a home.  Guessing the rumors of the NCHC taking ASU and MnSU had some legitimacy.  Nice of the NCHC to step back and rethink stealing a leading program from the WCHA.  Hopefully something can still be worked out with ASU after the dust settles.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Don't know Arizona law, but being that Denver and CC are private schools NCHC business is not subject to FOIA. (That's why most major conferences keep at least one private amongst their large publics; see, Northwestern of the B1G, or Vanderbilt of the SEC, or Stanford of the PAC12.) 

Oral Roberts being a member of the Summit back when UND was exploring conference options certainly saved a few administrator types from being exposed and some untruths to be told without fear of being found out.

57 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Well AZ St still needs a home.  Guessing the rumors of the NCHC taking ASU and MnSU had some legitimacy.  Nice of the NCHC to step back and rethink stealing a leading program from the WCHA.  Hopefully something can still be worked out with ASU after the dust settles.

I'm sorry. I don't believe this line of thinking. The NCHC is now starting to think about the other schools in the WCHA? Really? Theyve thrown caution to the wind in every other circumstance and now they're looking out for other schools?

The more likely option is that they looked at it and realized that the arena situation in Arizona wasn't what would benefit the league the most. That's ok, by the way if they feel they need to look out for themselves. I just can't buy that the leaguest that hasn't given a damn about the "have nots" in any other situation has now stopped and said , "you know this wouldnt be good for those schools that we ran away from and didn't care about for the last 5 years, so let's not steal another program."

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. The Alaska situaton may play into it, but more in the sense of, "why change things now when they are just going to change in 2 years anyway".

47 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I'm sorry. I don't believe this line of thinking. The NCHC is now starting to think about the other schools in the WCHA? Really? Theyve thrown caution to the wind in every other circumstance and now they're looking out for other schools?

The more likely option is that they looked at it and realized that the arena situation in Arizona wasn't what would benefit the league the most. That's ok, by the way if they feel they need to look out for themselves. I just can't buy that the leaguest that hasn't given a damn about the "have nots" in any other situation has now stopped and said , "you know this wouldnt be good for those schools that we ran away from and didn't care about for the last 5 years, so let's not steal another program."

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. The Alaska situaton may play into it, but more in the sense of, "why change things now when they are just going to change in 2 years anyway".

They were thinking about the well being of MSUM and not getting their confidence destroyed in the NCHC :D

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

They were thinking about the well being of MSUM and not getting their confidence destroyed in the NCHC :D

MSUM is Moorhead, MNSU is Minnesota State. Unfortunate for both Minnesota State and ASU but since UAA is probably going to fold its program, this is pretty big win for the WCHA. The question now is whether ASU stays independent and waits in the wings to join the NCHC or join the WCHA and take UAA's place. They only issue with adding ASU for the WCHA is  that it makes the leauge even morre geographicaly incoherant.

I'm  retired my wife is a yr away

We're interested in a winter place in AZ & having NCHC Hockey would be a deal closer for us

No family left in GF - Hockey is one of the reasons we want to stay here & our grandsons are pretty good & are making all kinds of travel tournament teams but if that should end in a few yrs AZ will look even better (but of course both grandsons will play all the way thru the NHL so we could be moving to lots of unknown exotic  places :silly: ) So hopefully AZ gets in with Sioux Hockey

Damn I hope I live that long :blink:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fetch said:

I'm  retired my wife is a yr away

We're interested in a winter place in AZ & having NCHC Hockey would be a deal closer for us

No family left in GF - Hockey is one of the reasons we want to stay here & our grandsons are pretty good & are making all kinds of travel tournament teams but if that should end in a few yrs AZ will look even better (but of course both grandsons will play all the way thru the NHL so we could be moving to lots of unknown exotic  places :silly: ) So hopefully AZ gets in with Sioux Hockey

Damn I hope I live that long :blink:

There's the catch. 

I think the NCHC didn't want to add Arizona State and tell Mankato no, so instead they told both no until UNLV or Arizona make the jump to D1 or BGSU applies to join. I don't buy the NCHC strength of schedule argument because Colorado College has been god awful. I wouldn't be surprised if the arena issue gets resolved soon. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4105686-nchc-says-no-potential-league-expansion

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

NCHC is making money, NCHC is sending 50%+ of teams to the big dance, NCHC is recruiting top-end talent....if it aint broke, don't fix it unless it adds to all of the above.

Bingo!  No need to add anyone right now.  When ASU gets a permanent home then maybe but really 8 teams is an optimal number

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I think the NCHC didn't want to add Arizona State and tell Mankato no, so instead they told both no until UNLV or Arizona make the jump to D1 or BGSU applies to join. I don't buy the NCHC strength of schedule argument because Colorado College has been god awful. I wouldn't be surprised if the arena issue gets resolved soon. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4105686-nchc-says-no-potential-league-expansion

Same thoughts. Probably some presidents (tiebreaker) was probably add both or none.

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Same thoughts. Probably some presidents (tiebreaker) was probably add both or none.

I think they wanted Arizona State and by adding Mankato the NCHC might as well add all the old WCHA teams they left behind. Adding Arizona State gives the NCHC power against the B1G. If it was me, I would have added Arizona State and told Mankato no. I still could see the WCHA trying to work out a deal with the NCHC involving the Alaska schools like there was with the WCHA and CCHA (that's if the both get saved). The WCHA could have made the whole Alaska thing easier on the other teams by sending two teams up there to play UAA one night then switch and play Alaska the next night. Then the Alaska teams would play some teams 3 time a year and other teams would only have to go up to Alaska once and not play them at home (Basically the WCHA could benefit by using travel partners) .

• Upvote 1