SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

25 minutes ago, planet2county said:

Sioux Valley is the Pete Rose and Lance Armstrong of message boards when presented with evidence of the contrary.

So based on your posting, we should have a lot more D1 programs than currently exist and we will see plenty programs announcing moves to D1 in the next couple of years.

You are officially being ignored on this topic.

Good day.

Cberkas just listed 20 odd schools that could go DI in hockey, but you single me out, even though Hedberg has been quoted in several stories about Minot St having an interest in DI.  Just so rich in hypocrisy.  Need to chew out those story writers too and get an education in finance.

48 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

They haven't played at the All Seasons Arena due to the idiocy of the State Fair Board. They would play at the Maysa. I haven't been in the new rink yet but I think it holds about 1500. 

A club team doesn't bring enough revenue to justify All Seasons being open to Minot State's club.  Simple economics.

If the fair board still isn't open to a Minot State varsity team, massive criticism will result and the board will relent.

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Cberkas just listed 20 odd schools that could go DI in hockey, but you single me out, even though Hedberg has been quoted in several stories about Minot St having an interest in DI.  Just so rich in hypocrisy.  Need to chew out those story writers too and get an education in finance.

Hedberg is no longer the AD...and no matter what level of interest he may or may not have had there's a lot that comes into play here.  You don't see a whole lot on the finances of the MSU athletic department here like you do NDSU or UND...but I'd have to think that the Beavers have one of the smallest athletic budgets in all of the NSIC.

I've lived here for just shy of a decade...and to all those that think everyone in Minot drives a Benz with money to burn...well they have no idea.  We've got hotels in receivership, companies filing Chapter 11, and rental real estate sitting empty.  It's not nearly as bad as the 1980s bust was in Williston...but it's most definitely not 2013 anymore.  The new Pepsi Rink seats about 2,000, and while it is a godsend compared to the original MAYSA arena, it's nothing special when compared to arenas in even the WCHA.  To think that MSU could sell 2,000 $30 tickets every night is laughable at this point.  And big corporate oil donors are pulling back like crazy.

As a joint UND/MSU booster and UND ticket holder...MSU needs to get it's ducks in a row within it's varsity athletic department before they can begin to think about adding hockey.  Their move to D1 outside of soccer and softball has been a joke in my opinion.  The City rebuilt Herb Parker for them, but nobody goes to the games because they thought they could go from a mediocre team in the DAC to a D2 competitor without changing anything.  Same largely goes for basketball...the Dome is way too big, there is no atmosphere and the talent level hasn't really picked up at all.  These are all problems that need solutions much more urgently than solving the varsity/club hockey question at MSU.

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A club team doesn't bring enough revenue to justify All Seasons being open to Minot State's club.  Simple economics.

If the fair board still isn't open to a Minot State varsity team, massive criticism will result and the board will relent.

LOL. No. MSU used to play in the All Seasons.  The hockey people in Minot will insist MSU plays in the MAYSA. It just goes with the backwards thinking mentality that's pervasive in this town. 

48 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

LOL. No. MSU used to play in the All Seasons.  The hockey people in Minot will insist MSU plays in the MAYSA. It just goes with the backwards thinking mentality that's pervasive in this town.

I have no experience other than being in both arenas...but I tend to think the new Pepsi rink at the MAYSA is nicer than the All Seasons.  Seating capacity is about the same, with nicer lighting and what not...plus it's in a better location than the All Seasons...but still...I'd think both are insufficient for a D1 hockey club...

19 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I have no experience other than being in both arenas...but I tend to think the new Pepsi rink at the MAYSA is nicer than the All Seasons.  Seating capacity is about the same, with nicer lighting and what not...plus it's in a better location than the All Seasons...but still...I'd think both are insufficient for a D1 hockey club...

Interesting. My son has hockey Saturday morning. I should try to check it out. 

9 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Hedberg,  when he was still AD,  is on record stating it would take $3-$4 million annually to run a hockey program.  That would be a heck of a lot more than a $6 million endowment.  

Bemidji State a few years ago spent $1.6 mill on men's hockey and $1.2 mill on women's.  With tuition inflation it is probably more now.  But Minot State would start men's hockey first and women's hockey years later.  Minot State would have higher traveling costs than Bemidji, but the $3- $4 mill cost given  by Hedberg is a fully compliant Title IX cost.  

Don't know how Mich Tech, N Mich, and Lake Superior St don't have womens DI hockey or other women's DI sports.  Maybe they have skiing.  But they don't have the Minnesota State Board mandating women's hockey.  If Moorhead St had had a Michigan board overseeing them, they would have had hockey.

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Boise State and Idaho played in front of 4,725 fans at the CenturyLink Arena in Boise. I'm actually impressed by the attendance number.

I happened to be walking around downtown Boise that Saturday afternoon (game was at 2pm or something) and was really impressed by the amount of fans hanging out at the Plaza outside.  Tickets were $15 too, more than you would expect for a club game.  If their football team was in town or was playing a formidable opponent on national television it would have been a different story though.

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I happened to be walking around downtown Boise that Saturday afternoon (game was at 2pm or something) and was really impressed by the amount of fans hanging out at the Plaza outside.  Tickets were $15 too, more than you would expect for a club game.  If their football team was in town or was playing a formidable opponent on national television it would have been a different story though.

Football comes first there, but even the Steelheads have done fairly well attendance wise. Boise State plays at CenturyLink Arena the most of the three places in Boise. It looks like Boise State have had decent attendance to other games there as well.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:38 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Bemidji St charges up to $45 a ticket.  Suppose thats hilarious too in your small mind.

Minot St football takes in about $9 per seat, which gives revenue to Minot St a whopping 1600 x 5 games x $9 = $72 k revenue.

Which is better for Minot, football with massive scholarship needs, or hockey with more revenue potential?

Up to $45 is not $45 per ticket.  That's for one game against Minnesota-Duluth and it's single game ticket sales only, NOT season tickets..  Bemidji State ticket prices average $20 per ticket, between season and single game tickets.  

Using those numbers, but with less attendance... you're looking at $900,000 for tickets.  However, you must know that some of those tickets are comped/exchanges so it's not actually that much.  At the minimum, you're talking about a $450,000 difference between the $30 you randomly threw out and something more realistic.  

And that's assuming they're playing in All Seasons and not Maysa.  If it's the latter, then that's only 1,800 seats and now you're making $540,000.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, southpaw said:

Up to $45 is not $45 per ticket.  That's for one game against Minnesota-Duluth and it's single game ticket sales only, NOT season tickets..  Bemidji State ticket prices average $20 per ticket, between season and single game tickets.  

Using those numbers, but with less attendance... you're looking at $900,000 for tickets.  However, you must know that some of those tickets are comped/exchanges so it's not actually that much.  At the minimum, you're talking about a $450,000 difference between the $30 you randomly threw out and something more realistic.  

And that's assuming they're playing in All Seasons and not Maysa.  If it's the latter, then that's only 1,800 seats and now you're making $540,000.

You respond like I gave a detailed financial plan for Minot St DI hockey.  Nothing could be further from the truth, as any figures given is a back of a napkin idea stage.

Have heard for a number of years is that 4000 seat is the minimum rink size to support a DI program.  And guess what, Ariz St just announced 4000 seats for the Coyotes practice rink and their home rink.

4000 seats has to average $30 per seat, regardless of where the money comes from:  boosters, endowments, tickets, concessions, student fees, parking.  

You are a hopeless case even discussing any idea.

The AHA just announced it will become a full scholarship league.  Coincidentally, many of the teams in that league will play in bigger arenas now (Holy Cross, American International, RIT, Sacred Heart) or have an on new campus rink, Bentley.  These are mostly private schools so they can waive part of the scholarship without getting political flack.  Army and Air Force dont have scholarship costs anyyway.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

You respond like I gave a detailed financial plan for Minot St DI hockey.  Nothing could be further from the truth, as any figures given is a back of a napkin idea stage.

Have heard for a number of years is that 4000 seat is the minimum rink size to support a DI program.  And guess what, Ariz St just announced 4000 seats for the Coyotes practice rink and their home rink.

4000 seats has to average $30 per seat, regardless of where the money comes from:  boosters, endowments, tickets, concessions, student fees, parking.  

You are a hopeless case even discussing any idea.

The AHA just announced it will become a full scholarship league.  Coincidentally, many of the teams in that league will play in bigger arenas now (Holy Cross, American International, RIT, Sacred Heart) or have an on new campus rink, Bentley.  These are mostly private schools so they can waive part of the scholarship without getting political flack.  Army and Air Force dont have scholarship costs anyyway.

Arizona State has yet to comment on the Coyotes arena or the connecting practice arena. I'll say the arena will be around 5,000 and not 4,000 when the plans come out.

• 2 weeks later...

It was announced that UNLV was approved to move up to ACHA D1. This has been known for a while now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hockey/2016/11/29/acha-approves-unlv-mens-hockey-division-1/94615924/

Looks like UNLV's move to the NCAA D1 is on hold for now. The AD who is pro hockey is leaving and hopefully for UNLV the new AD will listen to what they have to say and maybe move up the NCAA level.

Steve Carp@stevecarprj Nov 26

Tina Kunzer-Murphy on UNLV hockey club going varsity: "I think it'll be the next guy to get it done. Can't see it happening this year."

TKM's run as UNLV's AD ends in June. She's a hockey fan & supporter of @UNLVRebelHockey. Those guys better hope her successor likes hockey.

@UNLVRebelHockey varsity plan update: Talked to AD TKM. Said women's LAX funding slow to evolve. Won't be able to do varsity hockey w/out it

Southern New Hampshire University is said to be considering a DI move on another board.  SNHU only has 3000 students on campus but enrolled 60k online.  The school recently bought naming rights to the former Verizon Arena in Manchester, which holds 9800 for hockey.  SNHU plays in the DII Northeast-10 league now and has a DII hockey team in the Northeast10.  Might be a school to look out for in hockey and as a new DI school.  The AHA may have interest.

Going DI would be looked at as an advertising expense by their admin, considering the ads you see now for SNHU.  DI and hockey would further legitimize SNHU as a real school.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Southern New Hampshire University is said to be considering a DI move on another board.  SNHU only has 3000 students on campus but enrolled 60k online.  The school recently bought naming rights to the former Verizon Arena in Manchester, which holds 9800 for hockey.  SNHU plays in the DII Northeast-10 league now and has a DII hockey team in the Northeast10.  Might be a school to look out for in hockey and as a new DI school.  The AHA may have interest.

Going DI would be looked at as an advertising expense by their admin, considering the ads you see now for SNHU.  DI and hockey would further legitimize SNHU as a real school.

I don't think any of the DII schools that play DIII can move up. 

• 2 weeks later...

SiriusXM College Sports during their "This Week in College Hockey" had Adriaan Klaassen the GM of Rutgers hockey, Zee Khan the GM of UNLV hockey, and Alabama Head Coach John Bierchen.

The only one I can find is Rutgers. 

https://youtu.be/mzeLm1eNSxs

Not much new came from Rutgers on going D1 and it sounds like they are still a very long way from going NCAA D1.

Adriaan Klaassen (Rutgers GM) said that Colorado is looking to move up to NCAA D1, I haven't seen anything on it.