SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

This is interesting.

Now he leads ASU into major college hockey, with a 5,000-seat arena being readied for construction on the Tempe campus. Sun Belt naysayers (and UA fans) can moan all they want: ASU is poised to shift the power base in NCAA college hockey all the way to Tempe.

I can't find any more on this planed arena, but there is suppose to be renderings of this new arena.

http://tucson.com/sports/local/hockey-history-roadrunners-sun-devils-poised-to-buck-anti-arizona/article_1931cc52-dbfb-5368-8ed1-f4672178f860.html

http://m.collegehockeyinc.com/node/1321

Not expansion related, but Atlantic Hockey is increasing their scholarship limit to 18, the NCAA limit.  This should increase the caliber of players in that league, at least for the teams that follow through.  Bowling Green and Ferris State may even have an option other than the WCHA.  The AHA could split into a Lake Erie conference (a new CCHA) and a eastern seaboard conference if it adds enough teams.

Looks like Bill Foley will help UNLV go D1 but want's others to help before he donates to the hockey team. How Steve Carp doesn't mention the Engelstad family as a possible donor, he did say UND - Minnesota should play in T-Mobile Arena. 

Guy Flaming@TPS_Guy 24h24 hours ago

CsSoDxVVIAAJwBu.jpg
9 retweets 13 likes

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

http://www.uscho.com/2016/09/21/simon-fraser-minot-state-making-cases-to-join-division-i-lineup/

Something else Simon Frasier should think about is how attached they are to their nickname. If they joined the NCAA, they'd likely have to drop that nickname.

Clan is an often used word for subtribal groupings.  Canada doesn't have the historical racial strife that the USA has, so nothing wrong with that word in Canada.

Simon Fraser is DII also, so Hedberg seems to be just making up excuses for not taking their club hockey team varsity.

Extremely small chance Minot State goes DI, due mainly to the stipulation of having to move all sports to DI status.  They have had a good club team for years because of the ability to recruit mostly Canadians kids who have aged out of juniors and are looking for a place to play hockey with no other great offers coming their way.  They have a great following (probably most followed team at MiSU), which would only grow with a move up the ranks.  

I'm from Minot and it's just not a feasible move for the school.  If the NCAA allowed all other sports to stay at D2 status like SCSU then I think they'd make a great addition to DI college hockey.  They would have to do some work on the playing surface (boards, glass, etc.) at the All Seasons Arena, but with a jump to DI I think the money would get raised.  

I for one question the whole "all sports must be DI" rule.  Glad it wasn't a rule when SCSU was making the jump. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Extremely small chance Minot State goes DI, due mainly to the stipulation of having to move all sports to DI status.  They have had a good club team for years because of the ability to recruit mostly Canadians kids who have aged out of juniors and are looking for a place to play hockey with no other great offers coming their way.  They have a great following (probably most followed team at MiSU), which would only grow with a move up the ranks.  

I'm from Minot and it's just not a feasible move for the school.  If the NCAA allowed all other sports to stay at D2 status like SCSU then I think they'd make a great addition to DI college hockey.  They would have to do some work on the playing surface (boards, glass, etc.) at the All Seasons Arena, but with a jump to DI I think the money would get raised.  

I for one question the whole "all sports must be DI" rule.  Glad it wasn't a rule when SCSU was making the jump. 

The NCAA allows a DII school to move up for a single sport that DII doesn't offer a championship for.  Hedberg is lying, as he certainly knows that.

Minot St could be a good addition to the WCHA, which is all DII except Bowling Green.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NCAA allows a DII school to move up for a single sport that DII doesn't offer a championship for.  Hedberg is lying, as he certainly knows that.

Minot St could be a good addition to the WCHA, which is all DII except Bowling Green.

You assume these ADs are really smart. Many aren't, especially at D2 (new D3/NAIA) schools.

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You assume these ADs are really smart. Many aren't, especially at D2 (new D3/NAIA) schools.

All he has to do is ask around among his fellow NSIC members.  Or read an NCAA manual.

If he hasn't done that he is plainly incompetent.  Minot St finished their DII transition, so someone there can read manuals.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The NAIA will officially responsor hockey starting with the 2017-18 season.  U of Jamestown will be one of the schools.  Life University outside Atlanta will be another.  That explains why Jamestown switched conferences, as a couple schools in its new conference will have hockey too.

Is this a fact or are you just presenting another one of your theories as fact?

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I didn't know that, interesting fact.  I agree that MiSU would be a great addition to the WCHA.  All Seasons Arena holds about 4,000 people which would be perfect for a WCHA school.  Could not imagine the ticket demand if they would be able to get UND in there for a non conference game.  It'd be like when UND started playing Bemidji at the old Glas Field House…..standing room only.  

On 9/22/2016 at 10:00 AM, Wilbur said:

I didn't know that, interesting fact.  I agree that MiSU would be a great addition to the WCHA.  All Seasons Arena holds about 4,000 people which would be perfect for a WCHA school.  Could not imagine the ticket demand if they would be able to get UND in there for a non conference game.  It'd be like when UND started playing Bemidji at the old Glas Field House…..standing room only.  

Been saying that Minot St moved to DII only because they can take hockey DI from there.  But the masses here disagree.

Minot St can be DI just as much as Bemidji, N Mich, or LSSU.  But it will take Big money.

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Been saying that Minot St moved to DII only because they can take hockey DI from there.  But the masses here disagree.

Minot St can be DI just as much as Bemidji, N Mich, or LSSU.  But it will take Big money.

Take some of the money they're pouring into Herbert Parker Stadium.....that place has more fans for Bishop Ryan games than Beaver football.

I haven't lived in Minot for a few years, but there still has got to be some deep pocketed folks in the hockey community.  

Here is your Beaver Power play!!!!! Brought to you by Morelli Distributing....:D. Although we know where Reg's allegiance lies. 

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Talking about donors and fans in Minot no longer being donors and fans for UND. It would have an impact. 

I have buddies who live in Bemidji that are UND donors.......they go to Beaver games when UND isn't in town. They give nothing to BSU. Those you speculate on taking their support from UND to MiSU are going to be few and far between at best.

• Upvote 3